Naam, the, Vancouver

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 7 Reviews

2724 W 4th Ave, Vancouver (604) 738-7151

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

The Naam: 24 hour Vegetarian Goodness!

by leafmcgowan Updated Apr 4, 2011

I remember the Naam vividly from when I used to live in Vancouver, and from every trip I've made to this gorgeous city ever since. After all, where else could you find a full service Vegetarian restaurant open 24 hours and 7 days a week but in Kitslano? It is and was always a popular venue for after clubbing fare as well. Always crowded and servicing the most excellent food, it's worth the wait. It's been around forever it seems, and is the city's oldest natural foods restaurant. "Funky" decor with wooden tables and a wooden floor with a garden patio for summertime seating. Every night from 7-10 they boast live music such as blues, folk, and jazz. Rating: 5 stars out of 5.

Favorite Dish: Everything on the menu is fabulous, and if memory serves me my favorite dishes are the Thai and Naam Dragon Bowls, Thai Noodles, Buddha's Feast, and Crying Tiger Stir Fry. The Naam Burrito Wrap is also fabulous. On this particular re-visit I had the Buddha's Feast, topped with cashews and was in palatable heaven. Top that off with a Chai shake, and I was good as gold.

• barney1974's Profile Photo

Naam, the: Great Vegetarian!

by barney1974 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This little vegetarian restaurant is located on the West Side of Vancouver along West 4th. The funky decor and tight spaces make it feel pretty relaxed and easy to unwind in. There is a small patio as well for the summertime.

Favorite Dish: The veggie burrito is pretty good while they also have dandelion coffee. The menu offers pretty much anything you'd want in a vegetarian establishment.

• Bianca7's Profile Photo

Naam, the: Vegetarian Haven

by Bianca7 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I am not impressed by this restaurant. It is full of hippies and posers.

I do not see why everyone says the food is so great as vancouver as many other restaurants far superios - and yes - also vegetarian. I also found the service rude, the line up too long and the prices slightly expensive.

I will not go back and I wouldn't recommend for a tourist to treck all the way to this part of vancouver just for this restaurant.

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Naam, the: Vegi Delight

by aqazi Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Naam is probably the most well known vegi restaurant in the whole of BC and when you come here and taste the food you'll soon realise why. Expect to wait a short while before a table becomes available and then once you're sat down at the eclectic table you'll be able to pick your way through the menu. They seemed to have a daily special and then a daily curry special too.

They have music everynight which is a nice touch especially if you're dining alone or with someone you've run out of things to say to. We didn't have room for the dessert but they all looked great. This place is open 24hrs a day so you have no excuses not to come. We live a short walk away but if you're staying in a downtown hotel then you're a number 4 or a number 7 bus away (board anywhere on granville).

• KatyaB's Profile Photo

Naam, the: All day, all night veg out.

by KatyaB Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is my favourite restaurant in Vancouver because they have fantastic, comforting vegetarian and vegan food and are open 24 hours. Inside the restaurant you'll always find new art on the walls and not a single chair or table that will match. The cooks here are great and the place is definitely known for it's fantastic ambience and great food, not it's speedy service. Enjoy!

Favorite Dish: Sesame fries with miso gravy. This is definitely not to be missed!

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

The Naam: The Naam: mellow and vegan-friendly

by Carmanah Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Naam was probably Vancouver's first ever 100% vegetarian restaurant. It opened back in the late 1960's when W 4th Ave was Vancouver's popular hangout for hippies. I doubt it has changed much since it opened, other than it has become trendy.

The restaurant itself is very casual and comfy - wooden tables and chairs, house plants, local artwork and photos, racks of National Geographic and nature magazines to leaf through... and that funky homey smell. It feels more like a home than a restaurant.

They have an amazing menu full of vegan/vegetarian appetizers, meals, and desserts. They're also licensed, so if you want alcohol with your meal, you can do that too.

I think part of the attraction to the Naam is that it's open 24 hours, and so far I have used this to my advantage. The earliest I have ever arrived at the Naam has been 11:30pm. The latest was probably 3am. I'm sure I stayed until 5am there, drinking coffee and eating cakes after clubbing. It's an excellent spot to chill out at 3am, however during lunch and dinner, there are usually large crowds and service is known to be slow. Once again, I wouldn't know from personal experience as I've only gone to the Naam in the wee hours of the morning.

The waiters that work there are characters too. Very... stoner-friendly I'm sure. They always seem to be the mellowest waiters in the city... but friendly as ever. I kind of like the fact that they can be a bit goofy and that they're in control of the music. One time they were playing Depeche Mode remixes and a Nirvana bootleg. You gotta love it. No one freaks out at the Naam. It's just a very mellow place to be.

Favorite Dish: Everyone raves about the sesame fries with miso gravy, but I don't know if I'm a huge fan. I like them... but... I think they're over-hyped. The fries are rather large potato wedges and aren't really crispy. They're covered in sesame seeds and are served with a *very* tangy miso "gravy". Don't let the word "gravy" fool you... you are in a vegetarian restaurant.

What I *did* really like was their vegi melt: cheese and avocado toasted on a croissant. Their Naam burger's delicious... a walnut/beet/tofu burger with all the trimmings on a whole wheat bun. I also really like their pecan pie, served with whipped cream *and* ice cream. I LOVE their vegan raspberry chocolate cake as well. I didn't think egg-free/dairy-free cakes could be so moist!

They have an extensive dessert menu... always about a dozen different pies and cakes on display - all of them of the homemade variety. Absolutely delicious! This is one place you can count on for having good desserts and a great selection.

Next time I'll have to come back during the day to enjoy a large meal here.

• Kindra's Profile Photo

The Naam

by Kindra Written Aug 25, 2002

The Naam
    This is a 24 hour all vegetarian restaurant with a very organic, hippy feel to it. It is very casual and you will see lot of people from all different ages and backgrounds coming in. It is just a very mellow, relaxed place with a wood burning stove and a home-cooking smell to it. Vegan options are all indicated as well and they have a very large and diverse menu with lots of different kinds of teas and organic drinks. The prices are very decent and they always have a special. Lunch and dinner can get busier but I especially enjoy this place at 8 in the morning for a breakfast. A great way to get up early, escape the cold rain and warm up yourself- very therapeutic place to visit.

Favorite Dish: Anything with the sesame fries and miso gravy!! SOOOOO good!

Instant Answers: Vancouver

Comments

Hotels Near Naam, the
4.5 out of 5 stars