Section 3, Vancouver

by Carmanah
  • JennysTravels's Profile Photo

Section 3: Let the Vodka Flow

by JennysTravels Written Sep 5, 2007

I actually don't know if this is a restaurant. It was late at night when we arrived here and I was about eight vodkas and a bottle of champagne in. But I loved this club, the music was great the people a little yuppie and snobby, so we fit in perfectly. Only one ladies loo.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Section 3: Yaletown's home of the uber-scenesters

by Carmanah Updated Oct 27, 2006

Section 3's outdoor patio in Yaletown

I generally recommend Section 3 to those who might be looking for something a little funky, a little laissez-faire, a little hipster, and a little rock star. This place is more about attitude than substance, but the food's good, the drinks are better, and when you're with the right company and are just looking to chill out, Section 3 can be a blast.

Section 3 is a lounge restaurant, often with live DJ's, offering a great assortment of cocktails and tasty treats, whether it's small plates to share with others, or meal-sized entrees for brunch, lunch or dinner. Occasionally they'll have really cheap deals on things like pasta or pizza... you can't go wrong with an $11 curried prawn penne for dinner!

However, when you're in a rush or require attentive service, give it a miss. Not that I mind my waitstaff casually bantering at the bar with their friends over their latest indie scene gossip, but when it's been over 20 minutes in an empty restaurant and my drink order still hasn't been taken, I really start to wonder. Generally it's been a good experience at Section 3, but it's those occasional space cadet moments that make me wonder.

However, Section 3 is uber popular with the scenester crowds. It can be quite the hopping place on weekend evenings to the point where they're so full, they can't allow anyone in to the building (or even onto the patio) due to fire codes. You can't really blame them for their success, but it can be a drag when it doesn't work out for you.

Favorite Dish: Section 3 is known for its small plates, which makes it an ideal restaurant for large groups - everyone shares. The yam fries are always popular, even though they're a bit soggy. Most items I've had on their menu I've enjoyed.

Also, the portions are generally on the smaller side, which is not unusual for Vancouver's hip dining establishments.

• Singles