Shabusen, Vancouver

Stephanie, Soozay, jag17
    Larry and Karolina01
    Stephanie, rmdw, Soozay, jag17
    by Dabs
  • Shabusen: Don't waste your time and money!!

by sake_man Written Sep 1, 2008

I just got back from Vancouver on a long weekend trip and it was great. I was looking forward to trying the seafood and to have sushi. My friends and I stumbled upon Shabusen on Georgia and Burrard and there was a long line up, so we thought this place had to be good. Either that or people really liked their all-you-can eat. After 30 min. of waiting, we got seated at the bar. We were ignored when we had our order ready and it was definitely not worth the wait. I have had much better sushi. The cuts of fish were bad and the rolls were put together very poorly. The one big thing that made us get up and leave was that the "chef"dropped a piece of tempura prawn on the ground, picked it back up and proceeded to put it into some poor customer's tempura roll. The five second rule just didn't cut it that time.

If you're in Vancouver and like the cheap eats and I must emphasize cheap, Shabusen would be the place to go to get your fill of sub-par sushi. The Korean grill would probably be more worth your money but I wouldn't go back for sanitary reasons. There are plenty of other good sushi places in Vancouver especially around that area. Sure you may pay a bit extra but it's probably better than finding dirt and hair on your tempura roll.

• Shabusen: Excellent Sushi and Korean BBQ!

by kinshabu Written Feb 5, 2007

Shabusen can't be labeled a Japanese-style or a Korean restaurant. It provides a fusion of both sushi and Korean barbecue meats and tables are fitted with grills so you can cook seafood and various meats from the menu yourself. The sushi selection is excellent"

• VDElvis's Profile Photo

Shabusen: Korean / Japanese Cuisine

by VDElvis Updated Jan 11, 2007

This restaurant has both sushi and a korean bbq. When ordering the korean bbq, you cook the meat right at your table, on a grill in the middle of the table. They have delicious sushi, and the bbq meat is great as well.

Favorite Dish: I recommend getting the all you can eat. This will run you about $20 for dinner, $12 for lunch. this includes all the sushi and korean bbq you can eat, with a large variety to choose from.

• jag17's Profile Photo

Shabusen: All You Can Eat Buffet

by jag17 Updated Sep 2, 2006

Clara, Robert (rmdw) and Rena (susiederkins)

We went to Shabusen for our kick off dinner to the Vancouver VT Meeting. You are able to order an ala carte menu or all you can eat buffett of Japanese, Korean BBQ and Sushi. We all chose the buffet, and were given a check off sheet of menu items. Mark off the selections you want to try, and turn it over to the waiter/waitress. After a very short wait, the dishes of food just keep coming and coming. All tables have center grills where you can cook your own meat. Even though I am a little too fussy of an eater to enjoy most of the food, it was a fun and enjoyable evening. And, something I probably would have never gone to on my own.

Favorite Dish: Terriyaki Beef

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Shabusen: All you can eat Japanese/sushi

by Dabs Updated Aug 16, 2006

Gerry exhibits his excellent BBQ skills

The first official VT event of the weekend long VT meeting in Vancouver was dinner at Shabusen. It was a perfect place to hold a large group of people, the menu format contains an option for you to select from a variety of sushi, cooked Japanese items or Korean BBQ which you cook on the grills set into the tables. You order the sushi by the piece along with the cooked Japanese items by marking on a preprinted paper.

Favorite Dish: I'm not a big sushi fan, I tried a few pieces here, but I mainly ate the Korean BBQ and cooked Japanese dishes. I especially enjoyed the beef teriyaki and the Korean BBQ.

• horcubee's Profile Photo

Shabusen Yakiniku House: great all-you-can-eat sushi and korean bbq

by horcubee Updated Apr 20, 2006

This is our favourite sushi place if you are in the mood to try a range of new tastes or if you want to stuff yourself silly. You can choose between 2 packages of all-you-can-eat: sushi & korean bbq, or hot pot & korean bbq. Both are excellent though it is difficult to pass up unlimited amounts of sashimi for soup.

It's a steal at $20 CAD for dinner and $10 CAD for lunch. Make sure to reserve a table in advance or expect to wait in line...this place is very popular.

Favorite Dish: My top picks are the sashimi, the pan-fried gyoza, and the oyster motoyaki. Absolutely love the chopped scallop cone. Of the Korean bbq, I'm a fan of the spicy lamb and the beef short ribs, which you cook yourself on the open-flame bbq in the centre of your table.

I'd stay away from eating too much rice or carbs as you'll feel full too quickly.

They have an odd dessert on the list called "coffee jello", and it is exactly that--jello flavoured with unsweetened coffee, topped with evaporated milk. I didn't like it at first because it didn't mesh with my idea of a Western-style super-sweet dessert...but now I can't have less than three (extra milk, of course).

• Shabusen: I'm on my way to obesity

by arasnosliw Written Jan 21, 2006

this is just a tiny bit of what we consumed

rmdw highly recommended this restaurant, and as he held a dinner there, I went to experience this "all you can eat" sushi and korean bbq madness. Indeed it was madness. I haven't seen so much food brought out in front of me in my life, and it just kept coming and coming. The sushi was excellent for the price, and I enjoyed experimenting with other unfamiliar (and sometimes scary) Japanese dishes that were put out in front of me. For 20.95 CAD at dinner and about half that for lunch, it's quite the steal.

After about 10 cups of tea and enough food to feed an army troop, let's just say that it was not the most comfortable drive back to Seattle.

Favorite Dish: sashimi

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Shabusen: Japanese & Korean Food

by rmdw Updated Jan 11, 2006

Shabusen Salmon & Tuna Sushi

Shabusen is a restaurant I had been to long ago but for some strange reason hadn't returned in decades. I just went there again recently and had a really great meal.

They have an all you can eat lunch special for just $11.95 ($12.95 on the weekend) that is absolutely fabulous. You can pick from a variety of Japanese offerings, including some really good tasting sushi. Plus, there are some plates of beef, pork, or chicken, marinated Korean style that you cook yourself on an open broiler right at your table. I didn't think of it until later, but I suppose you could BBQ the fish from the sushi too!

All you can eat dinner is $23.95, but there's even more variety!

Everything was very tasty and you can't beat the price.

• travelnurse21's Profile Photo

Shabusen: Korean BBQ in Vancouver

by travelnurse21 Written Jun 27, 2005

This is a Korean BBQ/Japanese restaurant. The customers have the choice of using the 'all you can eat' menu or just ordering a la carte. There is a bbq grill in the middle of their tables and the customers can order raw meat and fish that have already been marinated and grill it themselves. It is a little bit pricey so I suggest to go here with a big group instead of just a date or going alone. It is great for parties or family/friends gatherings. It is $30 per person for the 'all you can eat' menu.

Favorite Dish: Sushi. Sashimi. BBQ.

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Shabusen: AYCE Sushi and Korean BBQ

by aqazi Written Dec 23, 2004
    Eat, eat, eat, eat, eat....

I came here with freinds as most people porbbaly do as the Burrard Street restaurant is on the first floor of an office building and not readily noticable from the street below. The restaurant does AYCE sushi for around $12 CAD or you can also have Korean BBQ as well for an additional $2 I think. Anyway the sushi was alright, not the best I've ever had but it was plentyful in supply. The Korean BBQ wasn't bad and I prefered it to the regular sushi. In fact I barbecued my sashimi and I even tried barbequing my sushi rolls too! lol. You have to be careful how much you order because they fine you for leaving left overs.

If you're coming then definatley make a reservation because it gets busy at lunch time. Also it makes sense not to have any breakfast too.

• canadacutey's Profile Photo

Shabusen: Mmmmmm sushi

by canadacutey Written Mar 12, 2003

As vancouver is well known for its sushi, this place is one of my faves.It has an all you can eat sushi variety, as well as all the teriyaki and they even have meat that you can bbq in the center of your table, on a little sunken bbq.Usually very busy, as it is very popular.Reasonably priced,and friendly serving staff.Also of mention, is the second floor viewing of the hustle and bustle of the streets down below, for those of you who like to people watch.

Favorite Dish: I love the all u can eat sushi.As well, the bbq favorites: beef/chicken/ and spicy pork

Instant Answers: Vancouver

Comments

Hotels Near Shabusen
3.5 out of 5 stars