Steamworks, Vancouver

3.5 out of 5 stars 10 Reviews

375 Water Street, Vancouver (604) 689-2739

Steamworks bottles on display
    by Ann75
  • The outside of the Steamworks Brewing Co.
    The outside of the Steamworks Brewing...
    Steamworks signature angus burger
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

Steamworks: Another good option in Gastown

by Jefie Written Jan 26, 2008

My friend Catherine and I decided to have lunch at Steamworks, a pub/brewery located at the edge of Gastown. We decided to go there because we felt like eating outside and Steamworks has a great patio, but we weren't too sure what to expect in terms of food. We ended up sharing a pesto pizza and it was really good, and so was the home-brewed beer (I had the Lions Gate lager). After our meal we went inside to check out the brewery and saw that the place was divided into different sections, each with its own really nice ambience (there's a lounge, a dining room, and oyster bar and a wine room). Seemed like a nice place to hang out on a Friday night!

Favorite Dish: Steamworks brews 6 regular beers, and a few seasonal ones. You should give them a try!

My friend Catherine @ Steamworks
    • Beer Tasting

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Steamworks Brewery: Steamworks Brewery

by Carmanah Updated Mar 3, 2005

Steamworks is a popular brew pub in Gastown and therefor attracts equal amounts of tourists as it does locals. They brew their own beer and they have many choices to choose from. They also have outdoor patio seating, an upstairs lounge with tables & bar seating, two rooms downstairs for restaurant seating, a downstairs pub-style seating, pool tables, an open kitchen, an open brewery (you watch the guys making the beer), and amazing bronze & wooden decor. (Keep an eye out for the gargoyles!). The view out the window to the mountains and Burrard Inlet is a nice little bonus too!

Favorite Dish: They brew their own beer here! You can get anything from the imported and domestic brands, to their own Cascadia Cream Ale, Lions Gate Lager, Nirvana Nut Brown Ale, and Blitzen Christmas Ale (to name a few!). My personal favourite, when in season, is their Frambozen, which is a wonderful dark raspberry beer. The Buffalo chicken wings and the garlic fries are excellent for snacks to go with your drinks. For lunch, it's a toss between their smoked salmon quesadillas, the grilled chicken skewers in spicy Indonesian peanut sauce, or their chorizo sausage linguini. Even their burgers are top quality. You can't go wrong here.

• Ann75's Profile Photo

Steamworks Brewery: Great place for lunch and a good beer

by Ann75 Written Jan 24, 2013

We've had lunch here several times and the food has always been good, the atmosphere is great and the decor is also quite nice. Usually the service is excellent, the staff is friendly and very accommodating to your wishes.

On weekends it can get pretty busy here and we've noticed that they don't always get the order right when it's very busy. They left in the tomatoes that we didn't want in there, we didn't get the extra side sauces that we initially ordered...but after a quick mention when they get back to your table they are very apologetic and it gets taken care off and that's the main thing. I do understand that it's hard for the servers when it's crazy busy to keep up with every single little thing.

All in all we love it here, but prefer to go in during the weekdays or in the winter time in the weekends when it's a bit less busy.

Favorite Dish: The last time we were here it was in October when my family from Belgium was visiting. We had the following dishes:

*California chicken burger with grilled chicken breast, smoked applewood cheddar, double smoked bacon, guacamole, mayo, tomato, shredded lettuce, grilled parmesan black sesame brioche bun

*Steamworks signature angus burger with a beef patty, smoked bacon, cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato and sliced pickle on a grilled parmesan black sesame brioche bun

*Turkey Club which had turkey breast, bacon, lettuce, mayo, guacamole and tomato on toasted cranberry sourdough bread...really tasty!

These meals were are very good and we all enjoyed it.

The outside of the Steamworks Brewing Co. California chicken burger Steamworks signature angus burger The turkey club Steamworks bottles on display

• unigirl's Profile Photo

Steamworks Brewing Co.: Steamworks Brewing Co.

by unigirl Updated Aug 25, 2002

Even though I am not a fan of beer, this place is famous for it's own brewed beer. The atmosphere is very laid back, while still keeping a classy air about it. It is situated at the tip of historic Gastown, and the inside is beautifully done. All this, the prices are very good, and service is superb! The picture is of myself (I'm in the middle)and some friends (Tom, Adam, Kevin, Jan, and Amber) in the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Everything on this menu is fantastic! I would say they specialise in a sort of West Coast way--lots of fish, grilled meats, pastas, etc.

• The name of a good restaurant...

by Psychokiwi Written Aug 24, 2002

The name of a good restaurant is Steamworks Pub. It sounds like a normal beer pub, but it serves great food too.
    The restaurant boasts it's beer. I'd have to say that the beer is very good considering I prefer hard liquor. Whenever my old college friends visit me, I always take them here. The sceanario always ends up with them getting drunk and throwing up in my car.

Favorite Dish: I've been twice and so far, my favourite dish is the Santa Fe Salad. It contains chicken, guacamole, and nacho chips. If that sounds good or even worth trying, you should go there.

• duanestorey's Profile Photo

Steamworks Brewing Company: Brew Pub

by duanestorey Written Apr 12, 2003

If you drink in various Vancouver pubs, eventually you'll run into some that serve beer made by the Steamworks Brewing Company is Gastown.

If you go to the location shown here, you can sample these beers, as well as enjoy a great meal near the water.

Favorite Dish: The burgers are great here.

The Steamworks Brewing Company

• lazyman_1's Profile Photo

Steamworks: Great Atmosphere

by lazyman_1 Written Feb 23, 2007

The place was lively without being loud and bust without being crowded. Steamworks had a working brewery within the building but was mere geared towards the restaurant. The servers were all young and enrgetic which helped add to the overall mood of the place. There were numerous tv's around the rooms, some with sports, others with news as well as dart boards and pool tables. All in all, steamworks seemed to be very much like the city itself as it had a hip yet laid back atmosphere. Definately a place worth visiting.

Favorite Dish: Try the beer soup. I know it may sound unappealing, but trust me, it is not just warmed up beer with noodles and veggies.
    Basically what they do is take any soup recipe and replace the water with beer which is mostly water anyways. Trust me, it is far more tastier than you might think. I had ordered it simply for the novelty of having beer soup however I would order it again given the opportunity as it was so tasty.

• Steamworks: Great Burgers and Brew

by worleyite Written Jun 9, 2006

Great location down by the cruise ship terminal gives you plenty to look at if you are seated upstairs by the large windows. We sat down in the brew area adjacent to where they practice their fine craft of brewing. Great upscale pub menu. Relaxing atmosphere. Great brew - try the lagers.

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

• RB_Oakes's Profile Photo

Steamworks: Watch for the Seasonals

by RB_Oakes Written Apr 16, 2005

My most recent 9-to-5 gig (damn I hate those) was right near Steamworks so I would pop in after work a lot to check out the beers. As a beer writer, I can say this: The regular brews aren't what they used to be back when Shirley Warne brewed here but the seasonals are generally of high calibre. Heroica Oatmeal Stout is the top regular brew, but seasonals like Roggenweizen, Pilsner or Ipanema White are well worth seeking out.

The place itself has a lot going for it. The views of the harbour and North Shore are great, the library corner atmospheric and spiral staircase awesome. The staff are generally helpful and the bartenders actually know about the beers, which is always a plus. One thing: I honestly have eaten here once, several years ago. I'm a beer writer, so I'm usually on a mission when I come here.

Favorite Dish: Roggenweizen - An excellent rye beer made with hefeweizen yeast. It is sweet, with requisite banana notes, a little bit of toasty, earthy maltiness and spice (cinnamon, clove). It is funky, yet like all such beers fairly approachable as well. Look for it in the early springtime.

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Steamworks Brewing Company: Nice enough I guess

by aqazi Updated Jun 4, 2004

This is a pretty touristic brewpub, we came for lunch and the food was OK but the beer was a bit disapointing. I was expecting great things because it's quite expensive but while drinkable enough it wasn't outstanding. Nonetheless this place is very comfortable and you could spend a long time here tasting all the different drinks they brew. If you're a connesieur or a member of CAMRA I feel you're going to hate this place. Seemed to be a load of tourists there when we went (we were just visiting too) but it is in a good downtown location.

Great if you like over priced average beer

Instant Answers: Vancouver

Comments

Hotels Near Steamworks
4.5 out of 5 stars