Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna, Vancouver

1124 Davie Street, Vancouver (604) 683-2555

• Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna
  • Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna
    by malianrob
    The line to get into this place
  • Stepho's Greek Taverna: Prejudice against Brazilian people

by miramos Written Apr 24, 2012

I was in Stephos this week and did not like the attention of the waiter Allan. When I finalized my food, he even asked me if I wanted the bill and has put the bill on the table.
    After that, I handed him my credit card for payment. Then he came back and told me that sometimes credit cards from Brazil are not accepted. An absurd! because I used the same card last week there. After, I left the Stephos, passed in the Safeway grocery store and my card worked properly. I went to Tim Hourtons and it worked correctly.
    I think I have been the target of prejudice because I am Brazilian.

• Stepho's Sovlaki Greek Taverna: Cheap but very Dirty

by Scratchy1 Written Sep 25, 2011

Don't go during the daylight hours, as you will see just how dirty this place is.
    Food on the floor, and dust/dirt everywhere.
    The lineup outside is steady so they do not have to put any effort into cleaning.
    Go to West Broadway for Greek food, or to Branas at Leg In Boot Square.

The food is cheap, the portions are big, but the place is filthy.
    Do not use the bathroom as it will turn you off your food.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Souvlaki - take out.
    Comes with one skewer of chicken, rice, roast potatoes, and greek salad.

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: Best Lamb in Canada

by ChadSteve1975 Written Feb 6, 2008

Greek Lamb = Yum

Stepho's is an icon in Vancouver. I've never seen a place like it. Even during winter you will line up outside this place just to get a seat. And well the short wait is worth it.

Don't be fooled by the line. It moves quickly. The restaurant may not be full. They just keep a steady flow on the seating so as to not leave someone waiting a ghastly long time for their meal.

The meals here are well priced (Cheap), and leave you satisfied and rolling out the door. And then back.

Favorite Dish: One of the more expensive meals there is the Greek Roast Lamb. Yes Lamb Shank... Mmmm yes... lamb.

It's piled up on the plate and served with Greek Salad and potatoes. What more could you want.

All this for about $10 Canadian. Cheap Cheap!

I suggest for an entree getting the pita with the Tazakiki dip. What you don't consume as an entre you can use will the main meal. You'll understand this statement when you see the size of the dip bowl!

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: Yummy Greek food

by malianrob Updated Jul 4, 2007

We were looking for a place to eat and our taxi driver suggested this place. We gave it a shot and we were not dissappointed. The food was great. We also came just in time. It was busy but we were seated pretty quickly. Right after we got there, the place got real busy. There was a line to get into this place.
    The food was very good and so was the service.

• Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: Very popular spot

by doubleOO Written Jun 15, 2007

The Stepho's has been around for a long time and it is a very popular spot for Greek food and locals. Be prepare to line up at the door. Good size portion and Yummy authentic food. Reasonably priced menu. The deco has been there for long time and nothing has changed since. It is the food that attract repeated customers. If you are in Downtown area, don't miss the walk on this Davie street and Robson street which will led you to the English Bay and Stanley Park. Schedule yourself to visist this area in late July early August in order to be part of the Festival of Light ( International Firework competition ) You don't want to miss that. Every year close to half million people will come to the area to watch the fire works during those 4 nights.

Favorite Dish: Kabobs, Greek salad

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: Cheap Eats!

by Jetgirly Written Feb 22, 2007

The Sign

I saw that there were sixteen reviews of this restaurant on VT, so I had to find out how good it was for myself! We actually walked past it as we headed from English Bay into downtown, and noticed a line had formed right in the middle of the afternoon, between lunch and dinner. When we returned for dinner that evening we found a line running past the end of the building, but we had mentally prepared ourselves to wait! In the end it took about ninety mintues to get in (from a 6:30 arrival or so). Come at 7:30 or 8:00 pm and the line will be almost non-existant.

Stepho's is dark and tables are packed close together, but people don't come here for the atmosphere. They come here for the huge portions of Greek food dished out at an amazingly fast rate. We started our meal with a plate of half hummous, half tzatziki. Served with pita bread, it was delicious and the perfect size for two people. Then, I had the "vege plate" which had their signature vegetable mixture served on rice with lemon potatoes and Greek salad. Everything was excellent and the portions were huge. The person I was with had a bowl of their bean soup and some spanakopita (one order from the menu equals two dense, spinach-heavy cheese-light pies). She couldn't even finish her meal! With our sodas, the total bill came to less than $25.

If you've got some time on your hands and don't mind queuing, if you love Greek food, and if you're really hungry then don't miss Stephos!

• Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: FOODS AMAZEING

by turtleslove Written Nov 21, 2006

The restaurnt is a small place on Davie street, everything from the ice tea i drink to food i eat there is amazeing ive never been disapointed with the food. The restaurnt has an old greek feeling which it hasnt lost over time they stayed true to there roots lots of tables lit with candles with dim lighting setting the atmoshere. Theres always a line at night to get in but its worth the wait for the large portions of yummy cheap food, and on cold nights they even have heaters outside so u dont freeze your bum off. The only complaint id have is the service 2/3 of the time the waiters seem to forget about us leaveing our drink glasses emtpy but maybe that because its always crazy busy and they dont seem to have set sections. Any how even the service wont stop me from getting my fill of stephos greek food

Favorite Dish: Chicken solvaki pita is my fav im not a huge red meat eater it comes with chicken packed on a skewer tomatos and onions wrapped in a warm pita served with fries and taziki sauce i always pour all my sauce on and dig in. my boyfriend orders a steak pita which comes with greek salad he isnt big on his veggies so i dig in and trust me its amazeing. I always wash it down with some ice tea mmmmmmmmmmmmm this is makein me hungry

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: Food Mountain Served Up

by aqazi Written Dec 23, 2004

I think everyone in VanC has been to or has at least heard of Stephos. The portions are humoungous with food piled high. A went for the roast lamb which I think is one of the most popular items on the menu given that the chunk of meat takes around an hour to do justice, and then you have a mound of rice, salad, vegies, roast potatoes and pitta bread to contend with. This place is for the seriously hungry. My friend had the Souvlaki which look OK but I preferred my lamb. Would probably come again but be warned during hte evening there is usually a seriously long queue outside. We went in for a mid week lunch and were seated straight away. Naturally neither of us were having dessert or any supper for that matter!

• travelnurse21's Profile Photo

Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: If you can wait in line, it's worth it!

by travelnurse21 Written Dec 19, 2004

This restaurant has won award after award every single year. Great local hangout! Very cheap prices and huge servings. Make sure you're ready to wait because the lineup forms to outside the streets and they don't take reservations for less than 5 people! But if you're patient, i promise, it's worth the wait!

Favorite Dish: Roast lamb. Good calamari too!

• KatyaB's Profile Photo

Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: Have some time to wait for dinner...

by KatyaB Written Dec 7, 2004

If you're walking around Davie Street and feeling hungry but it's not around dinner time go to Stepho's.

Stepho's has reliably good Greek food with large portions and very, very decent prices. That's the reason behind the line ups stretching around the block starting in the early evening.

It's good food and it's inexpensive but this is really no secret and that pretty much explains the line ups.

• ct-bound's Profile Photo

Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: Great cheap Greek food

by ct-bound Written May 3, 2004

Good (not 'Great') greek food. It's the quantity for the price that can't be beat!

This is every Vancouver bargainhunter's favourite Greek restaurant, and if you get there after about 5:30, expect to spend about an hour standing in line. I think part of Stepho's fame comes from standing in line drooling over the food for so long before you get to eat!

Favorite Dish: If you want a big grease-fest, have the calamari, it's delicious. A must is the saganaki as an appetizer (pan-fried cheese in olive oil), with extra pita bread. I usually get the chicken souvlaki (2 skewers), always comes with greek salad, pita, lemon potatoes and rice pilaf. No room for dessert after that.

• Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: Drive right past or walk on by..... :) :)

by Stephos Updated Mar 20, 2004

Not to upset anyone; but my experience at this restaurant was not great.

I have friends in Vancouver who took me out for dinner at Stephos; I was not impressed with the service nor the food!!!

To wait in a line-up for 45 min, my expectations of the food and service would be and should be superb.

The house wine....I've tasted better on my salad...also, I love lamb, but was not impressed with chewing on this cut (neck up to the ears)...And to top it off, not once did our waiter (nor anyone else) ask us how was our meal nor even offer us coffee or desert....the bill was made out and snapped it in front of us on the table.

WHAT THE HECK GIVES>>>>>>????? I had to shake my head....Reallllly !!

I also expected to be shuffled out of the door shortly after receiving our bill...

I personally would not return to this restaurant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and get this, the special for the evening was ribs; we asked the waiter, how are the Ribs...His (Jason # 20) comment was "they get better with the more wine that you drink"....

What would be your choice??? And who would have guessed we would have been served a glass of vinegar.

Sends shivers down my spine just remembering the experience....

Favorite Dish: My favorite food @ a Greek-style resturant would have to be lamb; the lamb at this resturant (Stephos) was a total turn-off.

I'm sure that there are many people who have had better experiences at Stephos (Greek resturant) than my freinds and myself.

Unfortunate, I feel It only fair that I write this experience to you.

Sincerely,
    Bern

• Business Travel
    • Gay and Lesbian
    • Seniors

• Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: What is all the fuss about?

by ElDiabloRojo Written Feb 27, 2004

I've tried this place three times and I don't get what all of the fuss is about. The long line up outside gave the impression that this place was fantastic, but it was average at best. The last time that I went I had the rudest waiter ever. I really don't know why this nasty guy was working there. I say not it's not worth the wait.

The skordalia was good though...

• canadacutey's Profile Photo

Stepho's: Huge Greek portions

by canadacutey Written Nov 5, 2003

Usually you will wait in a lineup, but it does move fast.That is right, a lineup, but it is worth it.The portions they serve for the money, is incredible.I doubt you will finish it.

Favorite Dish: The Kalamari dinner.It was delicious an dcomes with potatoes/greek salad/rice/ and lots of kalamari.Mmmmmm

• spartan's Profile Photo

Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna: A true Greek experience

by spartan Updated Jan 23, 2003

Ok, if you've seen the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" then you will feel like you've been invited to a party with your friends. It's authentic Greek in this place and that is such a good thing. There is always a line to get into this place, but it is worth it. Many awards adorn this eatery.

Favorite Dish: For starters try the Spanakopita and Pita Bread with Humous. For dinner, I ordered the Lamb Souvlaki Platter which came with a huge portion of rice, oven baked potatoes and a greek salad (there was so much food on my plate that I took it home and had leftovers the next day). Our waitress suggested a nice Australian Shiraz/Cabernet (the Long Flat Red label from the Tyrrell Vineyards) to go along with the meal.

Instant Answers: Vancouver

Comments

Hotels Near Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna
4.5 out of 5 stars