Grouse Mountain, Vancouver

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 69 Reviews

6400 Nancy Greene Way, North Vancouver 604-980-9311

• Getting ready for Grouse Mountain Paragliding
    Getting ready for Grouse Mountain...
  • SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

Paragliding

by SurfaceTravel Updated Sep 6, 2012

Grouse Mountain Paragliding

This was such a big activity for me, I've made it a separate review from my more general Grouse Mountain tip. I had always wanted to do this and they were right there and accessible, so I had no excuse not to. The pilot spent about 20 minutes telling me what to expect and the various bits and pieces of the harness and parachute and then we set off. Both of us were well buckled in, me sitting in front of him. It wasn't so close that it was uncomfortable. He spread the chute out behind us and took the control lines. We were near the top of the mountain overlooking Vancouver and on a cleared down-slope. We simply started walking as he filled the chute with air. We walked slightly faster down the hill and before even realising it, we were off. It was very gentle and smooth, and this was the part where I thought I'd be the most nervous.

We were cruising over the treetops on the side of the mountain. It was a crystal clear day and the views were amazing. The pilot made sure I was OK and then we did a few gentle turns. We swooped near the lodge house at the top of the cable car and I waved to my family. They managed to get a decent photo of me from there. After that, the mountain dropped away quickly and it was now quite obvious how very high up we were. If I had a pick a point where I was nervous at all, this was it. While I may have been clenching my hands on the ropes tighter than necessary, it wasn't bad at all. The pilot was chatting this whole time and pulled out a camera on a telescopic pole and began taking pictures of us with the camera pointing back at us from the end of the pole. He also took a movie.

The flight lasted for maybe 30 or 45 minutes, I forget, but it was really great fun and well worth it. We sailed past the water reservoirs and landed on a sports field. In spite of the directions I received, I still managed to land on my butt, but it was a fairly smooth landing despite that. Another pair also landed their chute almost at the same time. At that point, the pilot burned his photos and movie on the spot to a CD and offered it for sale. A whopping $30, maybe more, but I had no choice; I had to buy it. A van met us there and drove both sets of paragliders back to the parking lot of Grouse mountain.

This was one of the highlights of my life and I'm really glad I did it. I highly recommend it to anyone. It is not in any way physically demanding or scary, so anyone can do it.

See the video at: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/vv/5436/

• Photography
    • Hang Gliding

• oceania26's Profile Photo

My highlight was Grouse Mountain

by oceania26 Written Jun 1, 2012

To save yourself some $$ and get some exercise trying the Grouse Grind - it's a 2.9 hike up the mountain for free. It takes a person whose in decent shape about 90mins or 2 hours. It is is quite steep but totally worth it.

It is prohibited to descend so you will need to pay $10 to take the lift down but you most likely wouldn't want to trek all the way down after that.

The views are awesome from there, it's worth taking the $5 ski lift to the base of the windmill, for an additional $10 you can go up the eye of windmill (I didn't).

Checking out the grizzly bears is also pretty cool even though they aren't in their natural habitat.

• Ann75's Profile Photo

A full day of entertainment!

by Ann75 Written Jan 25, 2012

The Grouse Mountain Skyride

Grouse Mountain is a great place to visit when you are in Vancouver. You can go for a visit of a couple of hours, but you can easily spent a whole day up here. If you visit in the summer there are many activities that are complimentary with your ticket on the "SkyRide". The ticket may seems a bit pricey, but I think it's well worth the money if you can spend at least a half a day here and have good weather.

Once you are on the top you can enjoy the gorgeous views of downtown Vancouver, the surrounding area and beyond. On top of the mountain you have the Theatre in the Sky which shows several movies about Grouse Mountain and the grizzly bear habitat. There are a couple of good restaurants and of course the gift shops. Besides that don't miss the Lumberjack show which is really entertaining, there are nature walks with a guide, the chairlift to the top of the mountain, the grizzly bear habitat with talks from the ranger and there is also a bird show called "Birds in Motion". As you can see there is lots to do!

Grouse Mountain is also amazing in the winter as it's a great place for winter sports like skiing, snowboarding and icescating or just to enjoy the winter scenery if you like to see the snow. Around Christmas there Santa's Workshop, sleigh rides when there is enough snow and the views are always there, no matter what time of the year you come for a visit.

• Skiing and Boarding

• Hike the Grouse Grind

by Julia8 Updated Sep 5, 2011

This hike is amazing! Seriously, I highly recommend it, the view is stunning and it's not that difficult. At the top of Grouse Mountain there are a lot of touristic activities, you can see bears or some lumberjacks show.
    The curfew time varies, but in general the gate is locked around 7 pm.
    Good luck!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Grizzly Bears at Grouse Mountain

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The grizz was eating something

One of the big things that drew us to Grouse Mountain was not the grouse, but rather the grizzly bears. Two of these large mammals named Grinder and Coola are kept in a 5 acre enclosure with a hibernation habitat and den. The small enclosure is surrounded by a road that attracts a lot of visitors, but the bears have plenty of trees in which to sleep and hide.

The Grouse Mountain Refuge for Endangered Wildlife was created in 2001 and its first two bears were the current Grinder and Coola. Since then a few other bears have come and gone, the wolf enclosure was added, and birds of prey were brought in. One experiment in 2005 to place bears and wolves in the same enclosure for stimulation ended up with a dead wolf, so that little project was short lived.

During our visit, the bears were hidden when we first tried to spot them, but later in the day you could see them moving through the woods. Soon, one of them came down to the open area near the fence and spent the next 45 minutes to an hour rooting in the dirt, drinking water, and just generally entertaining the visitors. Of course, some of the more obnoxious tourists were yelling at the bears and whistling to get their attention for a picture. Isn't bad enough they are locked in a cage? No need to harass them more.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Grizzley Bears

by jamiesno Updated Apr 4, 2011

Grizzley Bear Habitat

If you visit Grouse Mountain there are Grizzley Bears you can observe.

My picture is not the greatest because they were sleeping during my visit, just my luck!

There are also black bears in the area.

• ayisha76's Profile Photo

Grouse Mountain

by ayisha76 Updated Apr 4, 2011

THE WEBSITE SAYS IT ALL

Grouse Mountain has a story for you. Starting from the first hikers who reached the summit in 1894, to our prestigious world-class events, to the tandem paragliders who now take flight from the Peak, we have an abundance of stories and ideas to share.

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

A Summer Day at Grouse Mountain

by SurfaceTravel Updated Feb 6, 2010

Cable-car going up Grouse Mountain

This tip is based on Summer activities, as we were there in July. It's just an excellent place to spend a half-day or day with your family. Parking is not free, and I think you have to initially choose between a 2-hour or whole-day ticket.

Admission, as of February 2010:
    - Adult (19-64 years): $37.95
    - Senior (65+ years): $35.95
    - Youth (13-18 years): $22.95
    - Child (5-12 years): $13.95

This includes admission to most activities: the Theatre in the Sky, the Refuge for Endangered Wildlife, the World Famous Lumberjack Show, Birds in Motion Demonstrations, Scenic Chairlift Rides, Mountaintop Eco Walks, and the Grouse Grind. These events are not continuous so you have to check the schedule and time it right.

There is lots to do. The more active can begin by going up the Grouse Grind trail (2.9 km going up 853 m, 1.5 - 2 hours) instead of the cable car. There are other activites that cost extra: ziplines, paragliding (see my other tip on this), or helicopter rides.

The route out to the mountain goes right past the Capilano Suspension Bridge (see my other tip), so you could easily combine both activities in one day.

• Zoo

• YVR2010's Profile Photo

Dining on Grouse Mountain-Free Ride Up

by YVR2010 Written Jul 13, 2009

What a better way to dine on top of one of our local mountains! If you're looking for a nice place to dine and want to visit Grouse Mountain, they have a fine dining restaurant called "the Observatory". The food is so-so for fine dining but worth it for the general admission if you are paying to go up anyway.

If you have dinner reservations with them, the Grouse Mtn admission is COMPLIMENTARY and includes admission to the Skyride and mountaintop activities.

• Photography

• karen75's Profile Photo

Grouse Mountain

by karen75 Updated Jun 16, 2009

Visiting the Clouds....

After visiting the suspension bridge, I hopped on another bus and headed up to Grouse Mountain. Heard from the bus driver that there was a snow storm up in the mountain and that visibility was zero; however, I didn't believe him because it was October and it was pouring rain when I was on the bus. Arrived at the base of Grouse Mountain and I purchased my ticket (approx $17) to go on the skyride. The ride up the mountain was a very long ride and was kind of scary when I kept looking down, but other then that, it was a great ride. After arriving at the top of the mountain, I was in utter shock at how much snow there was. There was so much snow, that I couldn't see a few feet in front of myself. Anyhow, since I was unprepared for the snow and couldn't really see much from the top of the mountain, I got back on the skyride and rode back down.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Grouse Mountain ... Skyride up, hike back down?

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jul 23, 2008

Vancouver view from the Rusty Rail

I never heard of Grouse Mountain until the visitors center at the border on the way to Vancouver. After they had told us about the other touristy stuff we could see, I had a feeling this might be a tourist trap. On day 2 in the city we decided to give it a look, & we headed up to north to find the park.

When we arrived at the base of the mountain, there were hundreds of cars packed into the lot. While paying our $5 to park, we saw most people were hiking up the mountain... someone said it was just a 2km hike, but we were not dressed for hiking at all, so we decided to take the Skyride to the top. The ticket lady told us the ride cost a very expensive $34.93 per adult, but it included all kinds of activities. The ride was spectacular, with amazing views of the city, but I was still thinking about the free hike versus the $35 ride. When we got to the top & realized all the hikers got into everything for free, I was fuming.

My 1st effort to get a nice view of Vancouver failed miserably as the entire area around the upper Skyride terminus was shrouded with trees. We went walking through the chainsaw-cut wooden animals, and headed for the grizzly bear & wolf enclosures. Strike 1: no wolves, and the grizzlies were off sleeping somewhere. Strike 2: the lumberjack show was a lousy, cheesy performance that you can get at most any county fair. Strike 3: the chairlift ride was closed, besides it wasn't included in admission. Good news--the Rusty Rail BBQ had beer. Finally we decided to go for a hike & found the scenic & peaceful Blue Grouse Lake. Luckily on our way back one of the grizzly bears was out & putting on quite a performance! We missed the birds show, but we watched these bears for nearly an hour.

As we got ready to leave, we saw the line for the Skyride had hundreds of people waiting, so we decided to walk down the mountain. Big mistake... while the trail is just 2.9km, it took us over 2 hours due to the steep, wet, slippery trail that drops 2,800 feet of elevation to to bottom. We were exhausted.

In a nutshell, Grouse Mountain is definately touristy, and the skyride is way way overpriced. If you are a budget traveler or a large family traveling together, this would break the bank. If you are in shape, it would definately be worth it to hike up and see all this stuff for free. Otherwise skip it!

• eternel2002's Profile Photo

The peak of Vancouver

by eternel2002 Updated May 9, 2008

To grouse mountain

One of the most nice places I loved in Vancouver, it's just about 20 minutes from downtown, but completely different, especially in winter, Grouse mountain is magical, it was the end of March, while the city center is warm and sunny, I was surprised how it can be so different on grouse mountain, lot of snow, people doing winter sports, an other world. Aside that it offers a best view of the city.

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

Grouse Grindin'

by ChadSteve1975 Written Feb 6, 2008

The stairs of hell

If you ever want to be evil to someone repeat these words. You should go and do the Grouse Grind. Whoa, we talking fitness junkie's extreme challenge or what. Anyone with a fitness urge can try this.

It's 2km of straight up the mountain side stair climbing. And I don't mean prancy little steps.. I'm talking big arse giant natural incline steps of verying sizes and shapes.

And after you do it you get the best that Grouse mountain has to offer in terms of free tourist shows. Best of all the ride down is only $5 each. Best $5 you'll ever spend. Its that or the pain of jarring your knees going down 2kms of stairs.

It is important to track your time. fter all once you've done it you'll be able to brag about it. And perhaps if you're insane go and try beat it.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

The Lumberjack Show - Grouse Mountain

by Mikebb Written Jan 24, 2008

Lumberjacks Fighting On Log

When you arrive at Grouse Mountain you must go to the administration centre and obtain a program of the day's events so you do not miss this very entertaining show. There is tiered seating so you can get a good view of the action.

The show included wood chopping, lumberjacks climbing the poles, comical entertainment etc etc and went for 40 minutes. It was a very popular entertainment.

• Seniors

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Fun For all At Grouse Mountain

by Mikebb Written Jan 24, 2008

View From Skyride Aerial Tram

Situated high above North Vancouver, Grouse Mountain is less than an hour from Vancouver by public transport and offers panaoramic views over Vancouver, excellent family entertainment including lumberjack shows, wood chopping, Birds in Motion demonstration, grizzley bears, wolves, and hiking trails.

We took the 15 minute Seabus trip to North Vancouver then caught Bus #236 to the Peak Chalet where we purchased our entry ticket $35, then caught the Skyride Aerial Tram up the mountain. What a ride this was and the view down the mountain over the city to the ocean was was worth the entry fee. More was to come when we reached the top and entered the park just in time for the Birds in Motion show put on by the Refuge for Endangered Wildlife which is resident on the mountain. Then onto the 2 grizzley bears followed by lunch etc etc.

Instant Answers: Vancouver

Comments

Hotels Near Grouse Mountain
3.5 out of 5 stars