Storyeum, Vancouver

by a5floor
    by JEKIE2
  • Storeyum for the Kids/Tourists

by missie999 Updated Apr 4, 2011

My boyfriend and I love playing tourist within our own city. When Storeyum opened up, we were eager to visit it. Luckily, we were students then and got a discount. The tickets were more expensive than we expected, but we forked out the VISA anyways. We were about 1/2 hr early for the next show, so we walked around the big hall and looked at all the black and white photos on the wall. As a 3rd generation Chinese Canadian with many other second gen Canadians, I'm a sucker for Canadian ethinic history. On the walls were pictures of the East Indian boat that was not allowed to dock, Chinese Railroad workers and Japanese Internment camps. Although I've heard the stories before in my social studies classes, it was a good remainder of what my prior generation had been through. It was our call to go down the elevator to the basement where we were ushered from room to room. It did get a little hot down there, but we had our water bottle and that helped. We knew it was a "multi-media" experience, but were not expecting actors and singers. It was like watching a play, which appealed to my boyfriend quite a bit. Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who is 1) a history buff, 2) wants to learn the gist of BC history under 3 hours, 3) has children. This is the only place in gastown that I would care to go to. The price although it may seem pricey at first, after you factor in how much a play generally costs + overall operating and maintenance expense, $24/ticket is a fair price. Should they have a "part 2", I would definately go again.

• Museum Visits

• a5floor's Profile Photo

by a5floor Updated Apr 4, 2011

Storyeum

Storyeum means ´a place of stories´. Below the streets of historic Gastown there is a theatrical adventure through seven historic passages.
    In a huge lift you will go down. The tour guide will take you through seven historic passages in British Columbia´s history. You will see the retelling of the Tsleil-Waututh people´s belief of the first man and woman (the transformation of the wolf to a man and the creation of the first woman from the sediment at the bottom of the sea). The Big House is a place of learning (where stories are told, rules written and alliances confirmed). The two descendants of the first man and woman meet and fall in love. A great feast is held in their honour. Through the passage of time, we follow their lives together until the Great Circle of Life is complete. With the arrival of the Hudson´s Bay Trading ships, commerce and trade would change forever the way of life for the Europeans and the First Nations. Witness the triumph of friendly trading and the tragedy of smallpox in colonial British Columbia. In 1862 the cry of `Gold!` echoed around the world. Tens of thousands flocked to British Columbia to strike it rich. To counter the threat of annexation by the United States, a Royal Decree was issued which paved the way towards a united Canada and Confederation. The promise of a transcontinental railway and the beginnings of a booming industry in timber, fishing and mining heralded the dawning of a new era of prosperity. Women gain the right to vote and the head tax is abolished. At the end of World War Two, hundreds of troop trains returned men and women from the war front to their homes and loved ones. Storyeum´s locomotive is a replica of the first passenger train to cross Canada. A visual mosaic of the sights and sounds profiled in Storyeum´s 46-foot high, 360° theatre. The individuality of us all is celebrated as we rise from our passages through time to street level.

• Theme Park Trips

• JEKIE2's Profile Photo

a fun way to learn about Vancouver's history

by JEKIE2 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Storyeum is a 72 minute walk through show narrating the history of British Columbia.

You enter what appears to be an auditorium but is actually is a huge elavator that will descend beneath the streets of Gastown.

The story begins w/ the unique history of the land and its formation even before people arrived. The story of why the Salmon is vital to BC is quite interesting. Then the history unfolds as the actors take you from ancient trails, the natives, the immigrants up to present day Vancouver.

The experience is awesome with live actors and incredible sets. I came out of storyeum not an expert on BC history but definitely with a great sense of appreciation of how this nation was built.

Operating Hours: 10am-5PM daily
    Adult Ticket Price :$21.95 plus tax
    Child Ticket Price:$15.95 plus tax

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Only for Kids

by aqazi Updated Apr 4, 2011
    pic from their website

I wasn't sure where to put this so I've added it to both "must see activities" and to "tourist traps."

So the aim I guess of Storyeum is to try and let visors understand a little bit about BC through a "multimedia" experience and make it entertaining at the same time.

The story begins by taking an elevator down to the basement where visitors are ushered from one room (or scene) to the next. You start off with a native theme (didn't notice any native actors) and then move onto the discovery of West Canada by the europeans, a bit about the fur trade, gold mining and the arrival of the chinese and then sort of wrap up with the building of the railroad and the addition of BC to Canada.

I found the whole thing a bit pointless, there were numerous points where I had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing especially the when they burst out into song and expected the audience to participate.

The worst bit were the linkages, we seemed to jump from one point in time to another so quickly I wasn't sure what was going on.

I didn't feel I learnt a thing, and found my experience at the BC museum in Victoria much more useful. That said if you have kids then the multimedia experience is really going to appeal to them even if they don't understand a word the actors were saying (were they speaking english?). The show lasts for 75 minutes.

All this for $24 + tax, thank god I was NOT paying.

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo

by nigelw6443 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Storyeum, Vancouver!

This museum with a difference has only recently opened up is is worth a visit.
    Storyeum is a theatrical presentation of British Columbia's history. You are taken in one of the world's largest passenger lifts into an underground theatre for a 72 minute guided tour through a series of plays that enact the history of British Columbia.

It is not cheap, especially if you are paying for a family but the experience is worth it.

The Storyeum venue is open from 10:30am to 8:00pm every day including holidays.

Daily
    11:00am 2:30pm 6:00pm
    11:30am 3:00pm 6:30pm
    12:00pm 3:30pm 7:00pm
    12:30pm 4:00pm 7:30pm
    1:00pm 4:30pm 8:00pm
    1:30pm 5:00pm
    2:00pm 5:30pm

Tickets can be purchased during regular operating hours at Storyeum in Gastown, or by phone at 604.687.8142

Rates (not including taxes):

Adults (19-64) $22
    Senior (65+) $19
    Youth (13-18) $19
    Children (6-12) $16
    Children (5 & under) Free

add 7% GST and other applicable taxes.

• Theater Travel

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

An entertaining morning underground.

by worldkiwi Written Aug 5, 2006

Storyeum, Gastown, Vancouver.

The Storyeum is a fun tourist attraction, in Gastown, Vancouver.
    The attraction is a guided tour through Vancouver's history with a musical twist. The whole thing is set underground and your group moves through stages of Vancouver's history performed in separate rooms or chambers. The actors sing and dance in period costume and it's all rather fun. Although it's quite expensive (I can't remember exactly how much, but trust me, it's expensive), you get used to forking out huge buckets of cash in Vancouver to see things you probably won't see again.
    The elevator that takes you down and brings you back up is rather fantastic. It's massive. The audio-visual show that takes place in the lift on the way back up after the underground show is testament to the pride Vancouverites have in their city (and justly so too).

• Museum Visits