Vancouver Aquarium, Vancouver

by Jim_Eliason
    by buzzz
    by buzzz
  • buzzz's Profile Photo

A great way to spend an afternoon.

by buzzz Written Jun 16, 2011
    The Gorgeous Milo

Vancouver Aquarium is situated in Stanley Park. The highlight of my visit there was seeiing Milo the remaining sea otter of the famous youtube hand holding sea otters. Unfortunately Nyac his friend has died. I could have watched them for hours they are so adorable. Another fabulous feature at the aquarium is the 4D experience.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

BELUGA WHALES @ VANCOUVER AQUARIUM

by balhannah Updated May 15, 2010

Beluga whale, they are show offs!

The Vancouver aquarium has plenty to see.

The Beluga whales are here, and you can really see them very close up. They do a show which is entertaining, but be warned, get a seat early, as they fill quickly, and don't sit in the front row, otherwise you will get wet!

These whales look like big loveable marshmallows. We didn't see them in the wild in Alaska, but we did see them in the end, and it was great! I stayed a watched them for ages, they look so lovable!

We didn't do this, but you can have a " Beluga Encounter" and come face-to-face with a Beluga whale.

If you take this opportunity, you will visit "Imaq and Kavna" in a behind-the-scenes marine mammal habitat and participate in an interactive training session alongside an Aquarium trainer.
    It is a chance to feed, touch and have fun with the Beluga's!
    You also receive a take-home CD of digital photos taken during your beluga encounter!

It is quite expensive......2010....Adults....... $135
    1 Adult + 1 Child........ $185
    Duration: 90 min.
    General admission is extra

HOURS......9:30AM – 5:00 PM daily (Doors close at 4:30 PM)
    ADMISSION.....Adult in 2010 .....$22.....Child 4-12.....$14

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Check out the Vancouver Aquarium

by joiwatani Updated Jan 2, 2009

The front of the Vancouver Aquarium

While cutting across the Stanley Park to get into our parking lot, we heard screams of excitement. We followed where the voices are coming from. These screams were actually coming from children inside the Vancouver Aquarium! The children were watching the dolphins that were making tricks.

I tried to peek, but the bushes were too thick and they covered the pool where the dolphins are. Plus, I can't get any closer because there is a creek that acted as the divider of the aquarium. We didn't go inside because we didn't have time. Outside the aquarium was a guy who was selling balloons and making them into different animal shapes while there were few Asian women artists who were painting portraits of some tourists.

• lionmouth77's Profile Photo

cute,cute,cute

by lionmouth77 Written Apr 8, 2008

The animals were so cute. We watched the sea lions eat. We saw some beluga whales. My brother and I dressed up in animal costumes. My brother was a lady bug. Also my brother and I did a little puppet show. There was a really huge starfish. It was very cool.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Big and small fish for small and big kids!

by Jefie Written Jan 19, 2008

Cool jelly fish at the Vancouver Aquarium

I hadn't really planned on going to the Vancouver Aquarium but as we woke up to yet another rainy day and were running out of indoors things to do, we decided to hit the Aquarium and we ended up having a pretty good time! A visit to the Aquarium is not exactly cheap ($19.95 for adults) but as we ended up spending the entire afternoon there, I felt I got my money's worth. The Aquarium is divided into two sections - an indoor and an outdoor one. Outdoors is where you'll find the dolphins, beluga whales, sea otters, seals and sea lions - there are shows running every half hour (rain or shine) between 10:30 am and 4:30 pm, just make sure to check the schedule inside. Inside the Aquarium, you'll find a variety of sea creatures and ecosystems and strangely enough, my favorite part was the jelly fish exhibit - it made for some really cool pictures! Definitely a great place to go if you're traveling with children, but grown-ups will probably enjoy it just as much :o)

The Vancouver Aquarium is open year round every day of the week (9:30 am to 7:00 pm during summer; 9:30 am to 5:00 pm during winter).

• cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo

by cinthya_in_victoria Written Jan 3, 2008

Orca statue at the entrance

It is located in Stanley Park. This big aquarium has fish, amphibians, beluga whales and reptiles. Don't you miss the beluga show which is presented in different schedules during the day. They also have mammals and birds and it is a major tourst attraction.

• KittyLou's Profile Photo

sea lions & sea otters

by KittyLou Updated Aug 30, 2007

My favorite critters to see at this aquarium were the sea lions & the sea otters. The beluga whales were also interesting to observe. The cafe and giftshop were fine. I visited in July of 2001 and enjoyed the place very much.

• acebruin's Profile Photo

Tropical Fishes and Brazilian Rain Forest

by acebruin Updated Jul 31, 2007

In front of the aquarium

Vancouver Aquarium is one of the biggest aquariums in the world. The Aquarium has more than 33,700 fishes from about 300 species. Nearly 30,000 invertebrates, including sea stars, jellyfish, octopuses and about 20 other spineless creatures are displayed. More than 350 snakes, frogs and newts represent 56 species of amphibians and reptiles. And, finally, close to 60 individuals represent 21 species of birds and mammals from around the globe including whales, seals, sloths and scarlet ibises.

This is a great place to take kids to! They will love to see the vast amount of faunas in this place. From marine animals, to reptiles, to amphibians, to birds, to mammals, to dolphins, and even belugas, thousands of animals call this aquarium home. There's just not enough words to describe the place. I can go on and on writing about the aquarium. You have to see to believe it. If you're interested in faunas, please visit the aquarium, especially if you have kids.

More pictures from the aquarium.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

The Vancouver Aquarium

by mikelisaanna Written Jul 21, 2007

A Beluga whaleat the Vancouver Aquarium

Anna loved the Vancouver aquarium, which has a great mixture of indoor and outdoor exhibits that feature the marine life of the British Columbia coast. The highlight of the aquarium is its tank of Beluga whales, which put on a show periodically throughout the day. The aquarium also features sea lions, otters, and dolphins, as well as numerous tanks full of smaller marine creatures such as fish, jellyfish, starfish, anenomes, and crabs.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Great for kids

by malianrob Updated Jul 4, 2007

We came here for Koa. We thought he would get excited about the fish and the other animals that they have here.
    He loved it. The only thing that he didnt like was the jellyfish. He actually had a fit when he saw them. Its not that they are scarey but since he got stung by a jellyfish in the Galapagos Islands he is now traumatized. Poor thing.
    The Aquarium is pretty big and theres alot to see. Outside you can watch a glimpse of the Dolphins. For me that was the best part.
    This place does get crowded and theres alot of kids, alot of strollers and it gets alittle difficult to manuver around. I think if I didnt come to Vancouver with Koa I wouldve skipped the Aquarium.

• PatoBanton's Profile Photo

Get all blazed up and go see it

by PatoBanton Written Jun 16, 2007

Listen..I'll be blunt. Get all blazed up and see the aquarium. It is truly spectacular. I believe it is the 3rd largest in North America and it is stunning. They have whales. To get to it you walk a spectacular route as I did from the Best Western on Granville street. Make the walk all blazed up..you won't regret it in Vansterdammmm.

• lazyman_1's Profile Photo

by lazyman_1 Written Apr 13, 2007

Situated in beautiful Stanley Park, the Vancouver aquarium should be one of the highlites of any trip to Vancouver. The Aquarium houses an extensive collection of fish, turtles, otters, whales, birds and dolphins. You also have to option of taking behind the scenes tours specific to certain animals. we opted to see the otters upclose and did not regret it. We even got to feed the otters by hand.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

by Carmanah Updated Feb 23, 2007

A beluga whale at the Vancouver Aquarium

I've seen the Vancouver Aquarium go downhill in the past few years. Some of their major exhibits have disappeared entirely. Instead, there seems to be an overabundance of tacky souvenir shops selling stuffed animals and children's t-shirts. Their gift shop has always been very nice, but they've made it tacky by extending their merchandise between the exhibits.

I used to love the Vancouver Aquarium and would once recommend it to all visitors. However, now it depends on what you want to get out of the attraction.

If you're looking for a Disneyland experience or a Sea World, you're not going to find it at the Vancouver Aquarium.

If you're looking to learn about the local ecosystems around the British Columbia coast, then it's definitely worth it.

If you have kids, it's also worth it.

For many years the Vancouver Aquarium's highlight was their killer whale (orca) shows. In the early 90's the aquarium was renovated and they began to focus their shows on education as opposed to entertainment. Then they got rid of their orcas due to a complexity of reasons.

While there are no more orcas, there are still many other species. The belugas, sea lion, harbour seals, sea otters, and dolphins all exist in the outdoor exhibits, complete with underwater viewing stations.

Inside, there are caymens, boa constrictors, a sloth, and an assortment of amphibians and birds in the tropical rainforest exhibit. Aquatically there are pirahnas, sharks, seahorses and a multitude of marine animals from the tropical waters around the world.

There's also the northern-Pacific Ocean exhibit, which is unique to the Vancouver Aquarium. It features local species native to the BC coast.

Note that the Vancouver Aquarium is a working marine science centre. You can make special arrangements to do "behind the scenes" tours. Know that the Vancouver Aquarium also contributes to the health and rehabitation of rescued marine mammals.

• Whale Watching

• celsomollo's Profile Photo

Diving into the Sea world

by celsomollo Written Feb 12, 2007

While in Vancouver visit the Aquarium it's a fantastic experience. There are lots of different species and the crew is always willing to help you with information.
    Very good atmosphere and an oportunity to remind us how diverse is our planet.

• jessicat1982's Profile Photo

Aquatic Life at the Park

by jessicat1982 Updated Jan 18, 2007

whale show

I decided to go to the Vancouver aquarium on a whim to escape the rain while on one of my many walks through Stanley Park and although it was fun, I don't know if it merited the 18.50 I shelled out for my ticket.

Located in the heart of Stanley Park, it's hard to miss Canada's first public aquarium marked by Bill Reid's rather large killer whale sculpture dedicated in 1984.

With over 800 different species, housing 60,000 aquatic creatures including adorable sea otters, dolphins, belugas and sea lions, I thought it would be a lot bigger. I was done in about an hour, so i sat eating an overpriced hamburger while I half-hazardly watched the beluga whale show under the covered patio of the restaurant trying to wait out the rain.

I'd imagine this to be a lot more fun if I took some kids with me. There are a ton of children's activities including an interactive 'clown fish cove' where kids can watch a puppet show, do arts and crafts or even 'nurse' a plush seal pup.

Unless you're really interested in aquatic life I'd say this is more of a family activity. I'm glad I went, but I don't think I'd go again.

Tip: If you want to experience at least a little of the aquarium for free, go around to the back gate where you can see the belugas and sea lions for free.

Instant Answers: Vancouver

Comments

Hotels Near Vancouver Aquarium
4.0 out of 5 stars