Storyeum, Vancouver

• aqazi's Profile Photo

No, no, no, nooo

by aqazi Updated Oct 29, 2004
    pic from their website

I wasn't sure where to put this so I've added it to both "must see activities" and to "tourist traps."

So the aim I guess of Storyeum is to try and let visors understand a little bit about BC through a "multimedia" experience and make it entertaining at the same time.

The story begins by taking an elevator down to the basement where visitors are ushered from one room (or scene) to the next. You start off with a native theme (didn't notice any native actors) and then move onto the discovery of West Canada by the europeans, a bit about the fur trade, gold mining and the arrival of the chinese and then sort of wrap up with the building of the railroad and the addition of BC to Canada.

I found the whole thing a bit pointless, there were numerous points where I had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing especially the when they burst out into song and expected the audience to participate.

The worst bit were the linkages, we seemed to jump from one point in time to another so quickly I wasn't sure what was going on.

I didn't feel I learnt a thing, and found my experience at the BC museum in Victoria much more useful. That said if you have kids then the multimedia experience is really going to appeal to them even if they don't understand a word the actors were saying (were they speaking english?). The show lasts for 75 minutes.

All this for $24 + tax, thank god I was NOT paying.

Instant Answers: Vancouver