Beggars, homeless & junkies, Vancouver

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Beggars

by jamiesno Written Jun 24, 2004

Two Beggars in Vancouver

Another local warning I would say, not really a danger but Vancouver has a lot of homeless beggars that parole the streets.

They are just like beggars in any other city, nothing more special about these ones.

They say the climate in Vancouver contributes to the problem they have. It is very mild on the west coast of Canada making it a lazy man's job I guess.

• tkdqueen's Profile Photo

Homeless people

by tkdqueen Written Feb 21, 2004

Panhandlers, beggars, homeless - whatever you want to call them - they're a part of Vancouver life. Generally they'll ask for chaange and leave it at that but don't be surprised if a couple swear at you which did happen to me...it just depends on your character how you deal with it. Ladies - just keep walking.

• bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo

Stories

by bobsreturn2004 Written Nov 14, 2006

Already this is becoming my major problem in Vancouver.Homeless people.Now i have nothing against homeless people,however dont come up with a long winded story and say how nice i am.Three times in the last 2 hours i have had the following.I am from Oz,In prison,lost my daughter,going to get thrown out.Second one is I havent got enough money for parking(which i stupidly gave her),Thirdly im collecting for the Samaritans.Watch out for these usual suspects.

• I spent a week homeless in the downtown eastside

by godspeasant Written Jan 5, 2011

I slept in alleys, didn't shower, started with $0 dollars, and roamed the streets for a full week during Christmas time. From Dec 23-30 I ventured out main and hastings late at night trying to find a spot to sleep. I took a notebook with me and wrote about 120 pages of my entire experience. I am blogging about this whole thing now at www.godspeasant.wordpress.com. All I can say is that it is not what people think it is. There are a lot of misunderstood, great, educated, intelligent, sincere, and warm people that are either homeless, or are just living in an extremely impoverished state. To those people that have never sat down and talked to anybody that is homeless, I would encourage you do to so with an open mind and an open heart. That way we can all progress in our society and move towards a better future for us all, whether one is rich or poor.

• Don't bother coming to Vancouver!

by kenandre Written Jul 1, 2006

Vancouver is ugly and all of it's citizens live in deplorable conditions. The homeless (junkies, mentally ill and alcoholics) are just as well off as the working class. Most yuppies and professionals are more unpleasant to deal with than the bums. WARNING! Do not spend your money or your time in this city for any reason not even the olympics 2010. This is the most disgusting, disappointing and depressing place to live. Everything here is a facade! Stay out! I am working very hard to move away from this real hell on earth. Downtown Detroit and New York are safer.

• Downtown very scary

by bigjohnstud Written Nov 7, 2011

This is not a very safe city, I think it is worse than people say. Yes Robson street is safe, and yes areas like the west end are safe. However, we saw violence, drunks and other dangers all over the city and not just in the east end!! Lots of wannabe gang members who are still as dangerous as real gangsters and a lot of dangerous mentally ill homeless people. Beware and think of carrying mace.

• shocking Vancouver

by seanpb Written Sep 21, 2004

While Vancouver is undeniably pretty from a distance, up close it has become an appalling stew of junkies, beggars and scavengers that is unrivalled in the developed world. It is easily the most annoying and depressing city I know to walk around in. You will be hounded for money from one end of the city centre to the other, you will see countless drug deals taking place under the incompetent eyes of the local police, and you will see the full effects of failed drug policies. This city has the highest crime rate in North America, so don't ever, ever leave anything in your car or it will most certainly be broken into or stolen. I suggest you delay any planned visits until the city gets its act together, or you will be truly astonished by what you see.

• EGitan's Profile Photo

Stop!

by EGitan Written Jun 30, 2005

vancouver

Becareful where you are, especially around China Town. Avoid going down Hastings street at all cost. It is dangerous and filled with junkies, and the mentally ill. Many purse has been stolen here...and many a car broken into. I was lucky to have someone warn me as i was walking toward the street.

• Aggressive beggars and junkies

by nootherchoices Written Oct 19, 2006

I have travelled many places in the world including North Africa, and have felt more safe and less bothered there than in the city of Vancouver. Supposedly, peaceful Vancouver Canada has a huge drug problem, and one of the worst ghettos in North America. In fact, it is the only city in the world where I know addicts deal drugs, and inject drugs right on the corner of the police station. Ironically you are likely to get a ticket if you peacefully drink a beer on the beach, so hypocritical. Vancouver is so full of aggressive beggars and panhandlers that block your path and harass you that many residents avoid going downtown. In addition, Vancouver has one of the highest property crime rates and car theft rates in North America, so if you plan to drive in Vancouver, your car may not be there when you get back, or it will have its window broken.

For those who are willing to put up with the annoying social issues of Vancouver, it is a beautiful place to visit in the summer!

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• vivacolombia's Profile Photo

Don't wonder too much

by vivacolombia Written Sep 26, 2005

Walking back from Chinatown, I'm looking for my Mazda car I had parked in this area. I see some weird looking people around there... I press my purse closer to my chest and accelerate my pace. I'm so intrigued that I start looking at those people. There's no particular type of people...you see women, men, caucasians, asians, africans... but their common point is that their eyes are in the vague...

I didn''t know it back then, but I'm in fact "Downtown Eastside, a neighborhood having hard core drug problems.
    The positive thing though is that Vancouver tries to deal with this problem with innovative solutions like offering addicts to get their fix from nurses and doctors (around 600 injections a day paid by the Canadian government) to try to protect them from diseases, keep them off prostitution and to break the circle of violence...

• Women's Travel

• Homeless People

by peach93 Written Jul 26, 2004

Homeless Person Sleeping on Steps During Rally

While I would not classify the homeless population in Vancouver as dangerous, there are quite a large number of them there owing to the City's mild year-round climate. Many of them will ask passersby for money, but don't feel that you must give them any. They are quite harmless.

• btex's Profile Photo

I saw quite a few beggars in...

by btex Written Aug 26, 2002

I saw quite a few beggars in downtown Vancouver. Some asked me to loan them a nickle or a dime so they could make a phone call; they shouldn't call it a loan because I'm sure they wouldn't pay it back. I guess asking for a dollar or two is too much, so they ask for dimes - they save up for a bottle of mad dog or whatever.

• watch out for the sandman

by nixonp Written Dec 30, 2006

we arrived in Vancouver during the day and immedietely made our way to the East Hastings area to score some buds and seeds. during the day this area was pretty normal we scored some bc buds across from blunt brothers and come some hash then we went and ate crayfish heads in china town. by that time it was late so we found a hotel room but when we were unpacking our stuff another hotel room got raided by the swat team so we decided we would go chill back in east hastings when we got there it was a different feeling than before during the day. we started to look for a hash bar when we met this fellow called sandman he had tinfoil and a radio reciever on his head he was about five six and had long black hair he must have been native american but anyway he tried to rob us but we managed to evade him after he tried to get us to go down an alley way with him. Anyway lots of hookers mediocre bud and crazy mother f*$kers in that city \. ps if your reading this forum sandman f#@# you man next time well take your money homo.

• Lisser's Profile Photo

Overall,Vancouver was a very...

by Lisser Written Aug 25, 2002

Overall,Vancouver was a very safe city. Everyone is warned about the downtown eastside and it should probably be avoided. When in Gastown, don't go too far in either direction and you should be fine.
    I found the homeless people on the streets to be intimidating at first, but they're harmless. Giving them money is a personal choice, but if you refuse, they usually just leave you alone and move on.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Aggressive panhandling (begging) in Vancouver

by Carmanah Updated Feb 23, 2007

Main & Hastings in the Downtown Eastside

Vancouver, especially in recent years, has had an ongoing problem with aggressive panhandling. Aggressive meaning that beggars will approach people as opposed to simply sitting off to the side. It's a huge political topic in the city, but an issue that never seems to get solved.

Some beggars are legitimately homeless. Some are hardcore drug addicts. Some are mentally ill, and some are just begging as a lifestyle choice.

I've noticed, especially on travel forums, that unsuspecting (and often first-time) visitors to Vancouver are often scared by Vancouver's beggars. If they're not scared, they tend to assume that beggars are somehow dangerous, or that they signify a dangerous neighbourhood. This is not really the case.

The beggars in Vancouver are just that. They are not armed robberers. They are not violent. They do not signify bad neighbourhoods. Most importantly, Vancouver's "bad" neighbourhoods, such as the Downtown Eastside, are not violent. They may have a lot of drug addiction and open air drug use, but they are not places of random violence, muggings, or gang warfare.

Beggars are especially visible in downtown Vancouver, especially in areas of high pedestrian and/or tourist traffic. So even places with high end shops will eventually have beggars at one point during the day wandering around outside. Some begging hotspots include Water Street in Gastown, Granville Street, Davie Street, Robson Street, and Denman Street. Even neighbourhoods outside of downtown like Kitsilano and Commercial Drive have their fair share of beggars.

If you look like a tourist, beggars are more likely to hassle you - especially in Gastown, and especially if you dress like you just stepped off a cruise from Alaska. Just tell them no. They will almost always leave you alone. There is no need to fear them. Keep your street smarts and don't feel you need to give away your money. And don't be surprised if you get asked over 5 times in one day for spare change. This is the unfortunate reality of 21st century Vancouver.

Instant Answers: Vancouver