Related Victoria Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Victoria

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Library, Central Branch

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 8, 2012

Favorite thing: The Greater Victoria Library, central branch is a huge building located at 735 Broughton Street.

Next to going through the book collection you can use the Public Access Computers or the Kiosk Computers. Throughout the building there is Free Wireless Internet access.

Photocopying & Printing services are available.

Opening Hours:
    Mo-Sa: 9AM - 6PM
    Su: Closed

Victoria Library, Central Branch

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

no longer going west, young man

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 22, 2009

Fondest memory: The first room had no windows. It was very small. We laid naked on top of the covers, sweating. In Victoria, sweating. How could they squeeze all that heat into such a small room? The second night we scored one with a window but the only thing it seemed to let in was noise from the busy street. Hell, if we knew it the weather was going to be this nice, we could have camped. Of course, then we would have had to drive each day and that much we truly were enjoying-not having to deal with the car.

We could go down the pub, have as many pints as we liked and walk back to our hotbox. The only problem was it was bloody expensive! Just our luck, the Canadian dollar was at an all time high. The US dollar had not been this weak since before the Civil War and I'm not even sure Canada existed back then. Pints were $7....Canadian. Usually, when you add that word at the end it means it was cheaper than say $7....American as the happy-go-lucky Canadians like to say. Oh, I still drank some pints, just not as many as I might normally do when cask ale flows like water down from the Rockies, eh.

Finally, after days of eating interesting food every day, enjoying my adjusted for inflation fair share of pints, and weathering all this damn fine weather, I realized what the problem really was. I was at the farthest point west on the trip as I was going to be. For five months, the trip had always brought us west. Sure, we drove east on occasion but I always knew that eventually I would be going west. This was it. From now on, it was going to be east. Going home. A trip of a lifetime was coming to an end. Actually, we still had six weeks to go and for most, that would be an amazing trip in itself. The truth was, and unbeknownst to me at the time, that some of the very best bits of the trip were still ahead of us. But driving only east still meant the end was coming. I was no longer going west, young man and not even the envious could blame me for dreading that.

Chinatown
    • Photography

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Who needs air-conditioning?

by richiecdisc Written Nov 22, 2009

Favorite thing: Victoria is a perfect town for a stroll. It's compact and every street is full of architectural marvels. Down by the Inner Harbor is particularly scenic and The Empress Hotel never fails to bring visitors back to another time.

Fondest memory: Victoria is my kind of town, enough culture to keep you from being bored but not too much to get in the way of enjoying strolling its streets lined with turn-of-the-century architectural marvels, grabbing something different and interesting to eat for every meal, and of course, doing a bit of beer hunting. Victoria also has a lovely island waterfront setting and being the capitol of British Colombia is very much a British affair. In fact, it could very well be the most English town outside of the United Kingdom. So, along with there always being a good Indian just up the road, their pubs are purveyors of hand-drawn cask-conditioned ales. Add to all this that it is in Canada, the land of the happy-go-lucky Canuck; and you would imagine I would be bursting at the seams with happiness, right? But I wasn't entirely so.

Don't get me wrong, I was enjoying myself and especially in showing my wife who had never been a town I knew she would love. Something just wasn't quite right and I couldn't put my finger on it. Maybe it was all this sun. A town like Victoria should be shrouded in fog, all misty and a bit nippy. You should be tucking in for a cuppa tea at every chance. But it was unusually hot for an island-bound town in the northern Pacific. Damn, it was just too nice to spend the day enjoying all the great session beers the local brewpubs produce and I found myself outside nearly the whole time, walking and actually sweating. In Victoria, sweating. Locals told us it was highly unusual, it would only last a few days but we were only there for a few days. Where was the fog? Where was the atmosphere?

We had even managed to find an inexpensive room, right in the city center. We parked the car and would not need it again until we left. It was in an old building with old plumbing and of course with no air-conditioning. Who needs air-conditioning in Victoria? Well, we sure could have used it and we're from Florida! (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

The Empress in a reflective mood
    • Photography

- Internet: www.tourismvictoria.com
    - E mail: info@tourismvictoria.com

and also
    - www.victoriabc.ca

Tourism Office (Victoria, BC, Canada)

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Friendly help and easy booking service.

by worldkiwi Written Aug 25, 2006

Favorite thing: The Victoria Visitor Information Centre on the waterfront is a busy spot where tourists and travellers can get friendly advice and make bookings for onward land transport or accommodation. I booked my ticket to/from Butchart Gardens here. The total price of the bus ticket (return) and entrance to the gardens was C$35. I also booked and paid for my Victoria Clipper trip to Seattle here.

Victoria Visitor Info Centre.

• Times Colonist

by Jetgirly Written Jun 18, 2006

Favorite thing: The Times Colonist is Victoria's most popular newspaper. Published daily, it features local, national and international news, along with lots of human interest stories and features relating to entertainment and local interest. The best day for visitors to get the paper is Thursday, when the paper publishes the special Go! section. In Go!, readers will find a listing of all the arts and entertainment events happening the city for the next week, plus movie and concert reviews and listings, and a weekly restaurant review.

Frankly, it's hard not to love a paper founded by a guy named Amor de Cosmos! The T-C as we know it came to be in 1980, after a merger by two papers that had been in publication since the 1850s and 1880s!

A Wrinkly Copy of the Times Colonist

PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS ~ Part Two

Favorite thing: Visitors from Other Countries:

International travellers may require a visa to enter or transit Canada. To see whether you require a visa, visit the Canada site for more information on visa requirements. International travellers who wish to find out about Canadian customs regulations should visit the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency website.

Travellers Bringing Children:

Travellers visiting Canada with children should carry the following:

* identification for each child similar to identification described for adults.
    * a letter of permission from the parents of any children accompanying them for whom they do not have legal custody

Please note: Divorced parents with shared custody rights should carry legal documents establishing their status. Unaccompanied children should carry a letter of permission from their parents or a legal guardian.

Studying or Working in Canada:

If you are planning to study or work in Canada, contact the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate for a copy of the brochure called Entering Canada to Study or Work.

• Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS ~ Part One

Favorite thing: Visitors from Europe:

European passport holders do not require a visa to visit Canada. All you need is a valid passport, a return ticket and sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependents during your stay in Canada. European visitors to Canada who wish to also visit the United States must possess valid passports to be admitted; residents of Portugal are further required to have a visa.

Visitors who are U.S. Residents:

Although a passport is the ideal identification, you do not require a passport or visa to enter Canada. Just make sure you carry identification to establish your citizenship such as a Birth Certificate and least one ID card with photo. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you should carry this certificate. Permanent residents of the U.S.A. must bring their "Green Card".

Visitors from the U.S. who are not American Citizens:

Permanent residents of the United States (anyone with a Green Card) do not need to carry a passport or travel documents to enter Canada.

Temporary residents of the United States (anyone who carries a Temporary Resident Card, Form 1-688, or Employment Authorization Card, 1-688A or 1-688B) must carry a passport and may also require a visa depending on their country of citizenship.

Citizens of other countries who wish to enter Canada through the United States must also carry a valid passport and may require a visa, which they should obtain from a Canadian Embassy or Consulate outside Canada. Those in this category should check with an office of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service before they enter Canada.

• Business Travel

VICTORIA'S BEST KEPT SECRETS

by Lady_Mystique Updated May 28, 2006

Favorite thing: VICTORIA'S BEST KEPT SECRETS ....' An Insider's Guide to Victoria & Southern Vancouver Island' is approximately 67 pages of travel and tourism information and tips that I higly recommend getting first... to make your visit the best possible...especially if you don't have a friend who is a local who could tip you off to some of these places.

Here is what you get when you order Victoria's Best Kept Secrets:

~ A review of the 4 top world-class tourist attractions in Victoria

~ Recommendation of where to eat - good restaurants, pubs and fine dining

~ Where to get discount coupons

~ Secret West Coast Beaches including specific directions

~ A special trail to Sea Lion Caves with the copy of a secret map

~ A special hideaway swimming hole

~ Special features of a very special hiking/biking trail that is over 45 km long

~ A Botanical Beach with gigantic tide pools and fantastic seascapes!

~ Directions to exotic and spectacular gardens and great places to go for a walk!

~ Places to bird watch

~ Scuba Diving secrets-only the very best dive sites!

~ Fishing spots, including shore locations where you can salmon fish!

~ Places to rock climb

~ Links to provincial campground reservations and regional parks info

~ A detailed guide to our spectacular marine drive describing unique places to stop!

~ Where to get goodies (high tea, chocolate, ice cream, fish and chips, fresh fruit and vegetables)

~ Some very special day trips from Victoria to surrounding areas

~ Interesting locations for the history buffs!

~ Where to find antiques!

~ Where to find crafts!

~ Science buff stuff and great places to take your children

~ Places to horseback ride around a scenic lake

~ All about the Robin's Egg Blue-Draw Bridge

~ An insiders guide to the Regional Park system and more!

TO ORDER:

One of the duck ponds in Beacon Hill Park

EMERGENCY SERVICES

by Lady_Mystique Written Mar 14, 2006

Favorite thing: In case of emergency including fire, police or ambulance, telephone 911.

Alternatively, simply dial "0" and ask the operator to connect you to the police or to medical services. Emergency telephone numbers are listed inside the front cover of all BC telephone directories.

Tourist Alert is an emergency service administered by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). The names of visitors who have urgent messages waiting for them are posted in the Visitor Info Centres and at other transit points.
    If you see or hear your name listed in newspapers, information centres, on radio or TV, telephone the nearest RCMP office for more details.

If you spot a forest fire while travelling in BC, call the British Columbia Forest Service toll-free at
    1-800-663-5555.

Jolly Roger atop the Maritime Museum
    • Study Abroad

Our CLIMATE

by Lady_Mystique Updated Mar 14, 2006

Favorite thing: Located in a sub-Mediterranean zone, Victoria boasts the mildest climate in Canada.
    Victoria receives an average of 2,183 hours of sunshine each year, with flowers in bloom year-round and an eight month frost-free season.
    Comfortable walking shoes are a must when visiting Victoria; this resort-style city is made for strolling, with downtown hotels, restaurants, shops and parks within close proximity of one another.

Spring arrives as early as February and is mild.
    Summer is comfortably warm and dry with temperatures from 18? to 32?C (65? to 90?F). Victoria has a very low humidity ratio and almost constant offshore breezes, which keep summer days from becoming too hot and summer evenings cool. A sweater or light jacket is recommended if you are going out at night.
    The average monthly rainfall in summer is less than 2.5 cm (1"). Victoria often enjoys a warm, sunny September with fall arriving late in the month. Deciduous trees turn the city to gold, but lawns and golf courses are green and lush throughout the winter.

The average annual rainfall for Victoria is 66.5 cm (26.2"), which is substantially less rain than both Vancouver and Seattle receive. Victoria receives rainfall during January, February and March, but rarely snow. The average monthly rainfall in winter is 5 cm (2") and the average temperature in January is 3?C (38?F).
    Although winters are mild and rarely include snow, warmer clothing is recommended between the months of November and March.

Camelia ~ a common bush in local gardens and parks
    • Hiking and Walking

• wander down our tree lined...

by lollipop222 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: wander down our tree lined streets, and imagine what it must have been like 100 years ago - this little spot of beauty in a harsh land. Then, when you've had enough of the Olde England nostalgia, check out some of our awesome outdoos sporting activities!! Hiking up Mt Finlayson, surfing Sombrio, or diving off Broche Ledge.

Fondest memory: Jogging along the beach by Dallas Road. Sunset or sunrise, guarateed to lift the spirits...

• I would take them to the inner...

by Victoriab Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: I would take them to the inner harbour in front of the world famous Empress Hotel, to the museum accross the street from the Empress, and then a leisurely walk to Beacon Hil Park which is Victoria's largest. I'd also take whomever to China Block, which at one time was the largest China town on the continent. I especially like to take that someone for a drive along the west coast of the island, and see some of the breathtaking beaches. Two of my favorites are China Beach and French Beach.

Fondest memory: I haven't been away, as I actually just moved here in 1996, but if I were to be away, the thing I would miss the most, if I happened to be on the mainland, would be the sea. I love the sea, the way it smells, sounds, everything. I'd also miss the WestBay Walkway; it's a beautiful picturesque walk into town.

• I live in Victoria and while I...

by KimC2000 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: I live in Victoria and while I like to travel and see the world, I always want to call this my home.
    I think the thing you would not want to miss would be to drive up the island. Admire the scenery along the way, stop at Jordan Beach, Mystic Beach, head up to Long Beach...you will be blown away by the equisite beauty of it all.

Fondest memory: The feeling of the air-it's always so fresh and clean. Living my whole life beside the ocean has spoiled me and I love to be outdoors in such a beautiful place.

• The whole thing is my fondest...

by amylynnmo Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: The whole thing is my fondest memory. My husband and I spent our honeymoon here. We saw the beautiful water and the scenic drives through the country were gorgeous. I will try to get my information more exact and update this page soon.

Victoria Hotels

Victoria Regent
Ocean Island Backpackers Inn
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 12 Reviews

Instant Answers: Victoria

Comments

Victoria Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Victoria locals.
Map of Victoria