Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill, Victoria

3.5 out of 5 stars 9 Reviews

• Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill
    by epereira
    John is happy that we are about to eat
    by olgaehr
    Brunch drinks
    by olgaehr
  • Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill: The Owner does not know the meaning of hospitality

by epereira Written Mar 9, 2015

We had a bad experience at the Oyster Bar. We went there on a Sat night at around 8:30PM and the owner, Tom Ferris, said the place was thinning out a bit and would seat us at the bar until a table opened up. 15 minutes later he sat us at the worst possible spot at a table where you can barely fit 2 plates and with very little lighting. There were 2 booths besides us that were open so that seat 4 people per both so I asked if there were reservations on them and if not if we can sit there since it would have been a lot more comfortable and enjoyable. He said he was saving them for walk-ins for 4??? How ridiculous? It was 8:45PM, There was nobody at the door and no reservations on the tables yet he wouldn't let us sit there. I didn't realize he was the owner until I told the waiter how unhappy I was where we were seated and that we wanted a better table. He said that was the owner that seated you and he calls the shots. He said he is keeping those tables of 4 open to maximize the revenues. Well, that's short sighted! The waiter asked us what we would like to drink and I said "we are out of here!!!" We will not only never eat there again, I will continue to tell all my friends and family that the owner Tom Ferris is the least hospitable restaurant owner I have ever come across. He should take a course on how to treat your customers.

• SeattleK's Profile Photo

Ferris Grill victoria: amazing fresh seafood

by SeattleK Written Mar 14, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by oh sugar candy shop and were absolutely delighted.
    We made a reservation for dinner, it was a bit confusing as there is an upstairs and a downstairs.
    Of course we went to the wrong level to start but the girl at the door was so friendly we found our way upstairs.

The restaurant is really quaint and warm.
    Service was fantastic, oysters were amazing.
    The smoked oysters were my fav.
    4 of us ate our faces off along with some wine and still left under $200.00
    Everything was great and we will try this restaurant again next time we are back in Victoria

Favorite Dish: smoked oysters

• olgaehr's Profile Photo

Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill: It's all about the pugs

by olgaehr Written Jan 7, 2008

A few locals told us about this place but what really attracted us was the pug theme all over the restaurant. Apparently the owner owns pugs and he throws pug parties once in a while there. But enough about pugs.

I definitely recommend the food there, especially from the brunch menu. The omelets there are very unique and interesting to try.

Favorite Dish: La Jolla omelet, there was another omelet I forgot the name which had oysters in it and it was fantastic.

Pug Love Champagne drink

Outside Pug theme John is happy that we are about to eat Brunch drinks Awesome omelets

• Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill: Eat Here Even if You Hate Oysters! Seriously!

by Jetgirly Updated Jun 1, 2007

Oysters. Just the word makes me gag. Which is why I was not excited about going to Ferris' Oyster Bar.

Once I picked up the menu, I was beyond pleasantly surprised! There was a huge assortment of food, including lots of non-oyster based dishes! In fact, I couldn't make up my mind between some of the great sounding soups, appetizers and main pasta dishes!

The food was GREAT! I had the Chicken Penne Soup and it was awesome! The spicy-sweet chili broth was very light. Make sure to order extra dumplings for 50 cents... they're great! The carrots and celery absorbed the broth just right and the chicken was pretty (I am often wary of how unattractive chicken looks in soup!) My friend had the chicken burger and loved it. I read a review that said Ferris' actually has the best burgers in town! The atmosphere in the restaurant is closely-packed and bustling, with people always moving around you. It's definitely a local favorite!

Ferris' Grill

• Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill: Yam fries. That's right, yam fries.

by biophilia Written Jul 24, 2005

Another great little hole in the wall. Very funky - lanterns and such, in an old heritage building. Good for lunch and dinner. Staff aren't sucky, so if you're looking for "hi sir, evening madame" forget it.

Favorite Dish: Yam fries YUM!! and the portabella mushroom burger.

• Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill: Worst Service I've Ever Had

by tlmcmahen Written Apr 25, 2005

The service is always slow, but I put up with it until a couple of days ago, when the staff really stepped over the line. A friend of mine ordered an oyster shooter, and almost choked on a large piece of shell that was in it. He mentioned this to the waitress in a polite way (suggesting that perhaps they should warn people). She sneered and accused him of trying to get it for free, and spent a couple of minutes generally trying to humiliate him in front of everyone at the table.

We spoke to the manager about her and he was worse! He laughed at us and shook his head and told us he was "too busy for this".

Then we spoke to the owner. He laughed and shook his head and told us basically "too bad". Then he just walked away.

A simple apology would have been so easy. Now, I will never go back. Nor will anyone I know. I'm spreading the word...

Favorite Dish: I liked the veggie nut burger, but now I feel sick when ever I think of this restaurant.

• VaughnB's Profile Photo

Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill: Pan fried Oysters to Die for!

by VaughnB Updated Jan 28, 2005

Narrow little Restaurant that has simple brick and wood interioir. I was told it is more of a local restaturant and that is what i liked about it. The staff is super friendly and helpfull in suggesting the right wine for your meal etc.

Favorite Dish: I tried the pan fried Oyesters. I had never had oysters and I was a bit apprenhensive. It comes with some kind of deep fried pita. It was excellant. So much so I had to go back the next day and have more. I also had a sandwich with sweet potatoe fries. This was ok. It was prepared very well and the OK rating was more due to my poor choice and having just had amazing oysters. The staff made the the final touch. I was alone and they all came by and chatted. Terrific.

Outside Ferris

• ldahl's Profile Photo

Ferris Oyster Bar: Ferris Oyster Bar

by ldahl Updated Dec 7, 2004

Very small restaurant (reservations recommended) that specializes in oysters and other seafood. Excellent and unique food at good prices. One of my faves.

Favorite Dish: cajun shrimp with sweet potato fries (sounds weird but is excellent I promise!)

• Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill: Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill

by vic_mouse Written Aug 25, 2002

They have everything here: breakfast, cocktails, burgers, salads, seafood, pasta... you name it they serve it, and cheap too. (about $15 canadian each, minus alcoholic bevvies). Reservations are a good idea, as the patio gets really busy when its warm out.

Favorite Dish: Well, Oysters... but everything else is excellent as well!

Instant Answers: Victoria