Il Terrazzo, Victoria

by Jetgirly
  • mariaschmidt's Profile Photo

Il Terrazo: The best restaurant in our trip

by mariaschmidt Written Aug 17, 2010

While strolling the beautiful downtown streets of Victoria I discovered this restaurant that lookes appealing and we went there for a late lunch. It was a delicious experience.

Favorite Dish: I had the best caneloni ever. It was stuffed with minced pork and had some unique flavor that probably came from apples... I cannot guess how it was done but it was delicious.

• Il Terrazzo: Northern Italian Cuisine in Victoria

by Jetgirly Updated Aug 3, 2007

Il Terrazzo

Il Terrazzo is at the bottom of Johnson Street, hidden away behind a bakery and other little boutiques. The interior is all old-style bricks and there is a great courtyard hidden away in the back. Their menu features foods typical of Northern Italy, including minestrone, prawn linguini and cervo (venison). Their pasta and starter menus will easily accomodate vegetarian diners, and they also have a less-expensive lunch menu with lots of in-season specials. One of the highlights is the dessert menu, with decadent chocolate cakes and other specialities.

I recently visited Il Terrazzo on a weekday night for dinner. We made reservations for six people at 8:30 pm, and after a somewhat unfriendly greeting we were taken to our table on the terrace (il terrazzo!), which is closed in by glass walls under a wooden ceiling. We were then left sitting for more than half an hour before our drink orders were taken, and our request for a wine recommendation was met with, "There's the wine list." In a restaurant known for its sommelier, we found that rather odd. Our drinks arrived about ten minutes later, and again we were left sitting around without our food orders being taken (yes, all of our menus were closed). Finally, our orders were taken. Everyone had a starter and a main dish. In a restaurant where starters run about $12 and mains run about $25, we had been hoping for better service. Our starters arrived with nary a word from the waitress, and my hazelnut crusted goat cheese on leafy greens with tropical fruit salsa was FANTASTIC! It was followed by a spaghettini dish with cherry tomatoes, slivered almonds, chipotle peppers and arugula. The pasta was fairly good but I was disappointed to find an ENTIRE chipotle pepper in it.

Favorite Dish: As we were finishing up our main courses, we suddenly heard the waitress walking behind us saying, "... and a blueberry compote." What? She was telling us the dessert specials AS SHE WALKED PAST on her way to another table! Nobody even realized she was talking to us! I chose tiramisu for dessert and it was great, and apparently their trio of creme brulees (Kahlua, Gran Marnier and Baileys) was great as well.

We all left Il Terrazzo feeling conflicted. When a group of six orders more than $400 worth of food and wine, you'd expect service to at least be decent. We didn't request a single modification and all paid on one bill; it's not like we were bad customers. While the food was fantastic, it almost wasn't worth the hostility and rudeness we took from the staff. I don't think I will be returning to the restaurant, and unfortunately I'm going to have to find a new restaurant in Victoria to recommend to my customers looking for an Italian meal in Victoria.

• tizzie2010's Profile Photo

Il Terrazzo: Food to die for!

by tizzie2010 Written Mar 8, 2007

The food is some of the best I've had. Ever. The environment is not to be missed, as the building is beautiful. It's kind of hard to find, but it's worth the effort!

Favorite Dish: The bread and olive spread that they brought out before the food was great. I had these wonderful crepes. I believe they were red pepper crepes...amazing! The desserts are good, too.

• Il Terrazzo: Best Overall Restaurant In Victoria

by Pinguino Written Feb 20, 2005
    Entrance

There's definitely a reason why this restaurant has been rated the best Italian in Victoria for 8 years in a row! I would venture to say it is the best restaurant, period. It has an amazing wine list and every dish we tried was nothing less than exceptional!

Favorite Dish: Nothing will dissappoint.

Instant Answers: Victoria

Comments

Hotels Near Il Terrazzo
4.5 out of 5 stars