India Curry House, Victoria

by Jetgirly
  • richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Indian Curry House: nothing beats an Indian after the pub

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 22, 2009

After you've been down the pub, nothing beats an Indian. Indian Curry House provided just the fix we were craving. This is your typical upscale, formal Indian dining experience. Starched white table clothes, stuffy waiters, and an air of colonialism hanging in the air. Isn't it rare to find anything else in an Indian restaurant? Well, in a colonial outpost like Victoria, try and find something else. It was a very nice place and the waiter treated us like we were visiting royalty. I always feel uncomfortable in these places but these guys seem to walk the edge of overkill well.

Favorite Dish: We had Tandoori Chicken with Poori (C$ 18.50), Butter Chicken (C$ 15.95) and Nan (C$ 2.95). The Tandoori Chicken was perfectly done, moist inside, nice outer layer marinated in spicy yogurt and was served with a salad. The Butter chicken was in a very subtly and well-spiced sauce perfect for dipping the Nan into. We washed it all down with a Lassi (C$ 3.95) each. This yogurt based drinks are perfect for quelling the fire of curry. D's was sweet, mine salty.

The food was quite good and while not cheap, good value. With tip, the bill came to C$ 51.

a lovely tandoori chicken
    • Photography

• JR's India Curry House: Varied Indian Menu

by Jetgirly Updated May 15, 2007

JR's India Curry House has been rated second in Victoria for Best Indian Cuisine. I recently dined there on a weeknight. The atmosphere is typical of most Indian restaurants, with lots of vibrant colors and posters of the Taj Mahal. High-class it isn't, but it's comfortable and friendly. The staff are quiet but knowledgeable, and very accomodating.

I had the Vegetarian Special with Rice and Poori, for $18.50. It was served on a thali (round silver serving dish), and featured basmati rice surrounded by spinach puree, lentil dahl, curried chickpeas, paneer with tomato and peas, and raita. Everything was fantastic, especially the raita, which was delicate but very sweet. My dining companion ordered the House Mixed Grill for $17.50, which featured tandoor chicken, curried chicken (so tender it was falling apart) and beef kofka. Both of our meals were served with poori (deep fried soft bread- DELICIOUS)! Our combinations were some of the most expensive meals on the menu, there were definitely cheaper alternatives. We also used a coupon from the 2006 Entertainment Book, which saved us $9.

The food at India Curry House was great, and I can't wait to go back. I highly recommend it for anyone in Victoria craving curry!

Closed Sunday.

India Curry House Facade / Sign

• India Curry House: DON'T EAT HERE

by pdg7 Written May 17, 2005

The meal was inedible. The service was poor, inattentive and inexperienced. This was among the worst dining experiences I have ever had.

Favorite Dish: As a frequent traveler, I have come to depend on the "Where" travel guide in every city I visit. ON almost every occasion, I have been pleased with the restaurants that I've seen listed/recommended here. However, I was very disappointed on a recent visit to Victoria, BC when I went to India Curry House on Fort St. I visited this restaurant only because it was listed in this magazine -- one I had come to trust.

Instant Answers: Victoria