Julia's Place The Restaurant, Victoria

609 Courney Street

• Ashleymarien's Profile Photo

Julia's Place The Restaurant: BEWARE!!

by Ashleymarien Updated Oct 14, 2006

So I have lived in Victoria my whole life and I quite frequently go for walks downtown on the harbour. On my way down to the harbour I am usually greeted by an overly rude *dish washer* from Julia’s who clearly dislikes his job and or doesn’t no how to speak to the public.

( **TIP** If you want people to come to your restaurant you would think you would put a friendly outgoing talkative personable person out on the street just a thought for yea.)

Favorite Dish: ANYWAYS… So the other day I went out for dinner We just so happened to be passing Julia’s place and we decided to take a look at the menu on the outside of the restaurant as we did so we had I’m assuming a dishwasher creep up to us and try to make the menu look more appetizing by reading it to us, which we could very well do ourselves. So we decided to go for it, we wanted to see what all the fuss was about. So we walk in were seated by a man that just points to a table to sit at. Now I'm getting bad vibes cause there was literally not one other group of people dining inside the restaurant. So now the mute waiter comes over and this time he actually says something oh yes he says *DRINKS* so I ordered an apple juice and an ice tea so it comes out the apple juice was no bigger than a double shot and the ice tea was cold tea like from a tea bag. I don’t know if that’s how they do it in Italy but this is Canada and we serve real ice tea. SO we eventually order and I ordered chicken and mushroom Alfredo and my boyfriend ordered chicken solvaki. He brings our food out my boyfriend says he’s going to have to go out for a second meal cause his dinner was so small. So we get the bill and its like over $40 which was ridiculous in itself. So then me and my boyfriend went to silvercity the movie started and I noticed I started to feel a little ill in the stomach so I left and I went to the washroom nothing happened so I went back into the movie. Few minutes later I’m going to be sick so I ran to the bathroom and I puke all over the bathroom floor yes chicken mushrooms and pasta all come flying out onto the floor. So we had to leave the movie theatre I went home and continued to get sick and have the trots for 10 hours straight. So yes my conclusion Julia’s Restaurant gave me food poisoning and I will NEVER go back there and neither should ANY of YOU!

• 2snoopy's Profile Photo

Julia's Place The Restaurant: Julia's is Overpriced (Don't Bother/Pushy)

by 2snoopy Written Apr 8, 2004

Had hoped to have a nice dinner with my spouse and child. Thought I had found the place. When entering Julia's you may have the impression that you are entering a quaint and friendly restaurant. The dark wood paneling and bar are nice. Boy was I mistaken. You are seated and handed a menu, (a menu complete with photos). I can't remember the last time I was handed a menu with photos in what one might think is a nice restaurant. Isn't that feature reserved for inexpensive Chinese restaurants? Oh well, back to the experience. The first thing I noticed was the OVERPRICED wine selections (as did the couple seated next to me). I don't know what the proprietors think they are offering, but those wine prices are completely out of line. Next came the push to order quickly. For goodness sake, give someone time to review the menu and bring some water without my asking. The next thing I know, the server is irritated that I don't order any of the overpriced wine (this followed the high pressure wine pitch to the other couple). We did order two alcoholic beverages and a chocolate milk for my daughter. I've never seen smaller drinks! Spanish coffee was a joke. Now to the food. Okay, but not spectacular. The funniest part of dinner, was watching the fellow dressed as a chef hauling people in from the street. Turns out he is the dishwasher. You just have to watch him work. Guess times are tough for Julia's and there are lots of reasons for this! Look out tourists, stay away from Julia's and don't get hooked by the Chef/Dishwasher guy. I think he gets a bonus for each body he drags in.

Favorite Dish: None of the three meals order stood out.

• Karolina01's Profile Photo

Julia's Place The Restaurant: Very Good Choice

by Karolina01 Written May 23, 2007

Favorite Dish: One of the better restaurants that we chose while staying in Victoria. I had a spanacopita, and it was delicious

Instant Answers: Victoria