Old Vic Fish & Chips, Victoria

• glabah's Profile Photo

Old British Fish and Chips: East of Town in Mall, but Good Environment

by glabah Written Feb 7, 2011

Old British Fish and Chips

Attempting to create a "British" feel in a restaurant built into a very new and modern shopping center has the potential to be a challenge, and yet this place does seem to pull it off reasonably well. Much of the decoration you will see in here certainly has a British look to it, though it doesn't quite have a Fish and Chips pub type environment to it.

It is a reasonably popular place with the local population, though a considerable amount of the traffic seams to be takeout orders - at least at lunch.

Perhaps one of the nicest features is that this place is right next door to Origins Gluten-Free Bakery, so dessert is really easy to find!

Favorite Dish: I had the Scallop Dinner, which includes 8 pieces of fried scallop for $12.50, plus a pile of chips, cole slaw and a hot dinner bun. I decided to add a local BC cider for $5.25. It turned out to be a Growers Peach cider, which was good but also a bit strong (7% alcohol by volume).

• grasshopper_6's Profile Photo

Old Vics: "Authentic" british chippie?

by grasshopper_6 Written Nov 18, 2008

I heard good things about OLD Vics, so I sought it out. I guess one could say they are "authentic" in the style of british fish and chips, but they just weren't that good. The seafood chowder I got with them however, was excellent.

Favorite Dish: Seafood chowder and Piper IPA

• btex's Profile Photo

Old Vic Fish & Chips: Fish and Chips!

by btex Updated Jul 10, 2003

Old Vic is a fish and chip place not far from the H.I. hostel. I was wanting fish and chips, and this was the place to get 'em...forget about the touristy places on Wharf Rd. The restaurant isn't fancy but does give big pieces of cod and lotsa chips...and, most importantly, they wrap them up in newspaper if you're on the go...very authentic! You can eat there or take out. The prices are reasonable and the owners were helpful. If I return to Victoria, I'm going back to Old Vic. This sounds like a commercial...

Favorite Dish: fish (cod) and chips

• Packerman's Profile Photo

We ate in several pub...

by Packerman Updated Sep 13, 2002

We ate in several pub establishments which had a great variety to choose from. Pubs have a lively atmosphere with music usually. I still remember one in particular. It was an Irish pub that was pretty big inside, it was close to the tourist activity.

Favorite Dish: Potato skins are usually what I order in these kind of restaurants. Sometimes they are good and loaded with toppings and sometimes they are bad and skimpy. I remember this one being good and loaded, mmmmm!

Instant Answers: Victoria