Rebar Modern Food, Victoria

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Modern Food Re Bar: Veggy Food

by jamiesno Written Aug 23, 2008
    Re Bar Restaurant

A friend from Royal Roads University brought me to this vegitarian place in Baston Square. I am never sure what to think of Vegan but I did manage to get a great Salmon Burger and Yam Fries.

I felt healthy when I was done and then has some apple desert which was good as well.

The restaurant is funky and it looks like they have their own clientele. I remember ads for meditation posted up on their bulletin board which I thought was interesting.

Favorite Dish: Salmon Burger.

• setikeyvan's Profile Photo

Rebar Modern Food: Great Place for Vegetarians

by setikeyvan Updated Jun 7, 2008

Rebar Modern Food Restaurant

The menu at Rebar Modern Food is not entirely vegetarian, but it has a great selection of interesting vegetarian options if you are in fact vegetarian. Their menu is varied, organic and healthy. It's a spa treatment for your taste buds, your internal organs and your mind. The ambiance is balanced, colorful and organically artistic. The table cloths are charming flower patterns, the lamp shades are made of blown glass and the hanging art is a lovely mosaic work. Combine the menu and the environment and you have a gem of a restaurant. The staff is personable and open-minded, which just ads to the overall comfortable experience.

Favorite Dish: I had breakfast and lunch here. I thoroughly enjoyed both my dishes.
    BREAKFAST: The omelet of the day, served with home fries, wheat toast and a great-tasting blueberry jelly. The serving size was just perfect - not too much and not too little. It gave me enough to feel satisfied without going into a food coma.
    LUNCH:
    Appetizer 1: The Yukon gold and yam fries. The magical part of this appetizer was the sage-lime aioli dipping sauce (dairy-free/wheat-free). Forget ranch sauce!
    ENTREE: I had the almond burger. This is their secret recipe and it is incredible. This was the best veggie burger I have ever had. My mouth is watering right now! It was a perfect meal. Once again, just enough to make me feel satisfied, but not so much to push me over the edge.

Rebar Modern Food has an extensive list of healthy vitamin, energy, cleansing drinks. They are all made right there and then.

I absolutely recommend this restaurant. I wish I could transport it to my hometown -- I guess their cookbook will have to suffice!

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Rebar Modern Food: Fresh, Healthy and Delicious

by Jetgirly Updated Aug 10, 2007

(Half-Eaten) Bombay Rollup

Located in Bastion Square, Rebar is not only in the heart of downtown, but also in the heart of Victoria's discerning diners who value flavor and freshness. An amazingly funky little restaurant decorated with bright colors, Rebar is without a doubt THE quintessential Victoria restaurant.

Most of the dishes at Rebar are vegetarian, but some contain fresh local seafood. I often order the miso soup, but lately have been branching out and trying new things. The Rebar Salad with Basil Vinaigrette is fantastic (such a rich variety of fresh vegetables), and the Almond Burger really is famous! People come from all over to try this amazing nut-based burger, served with sprouts, red onion, tomato and dijon mustard on a whole-grain bun. On a recent trip I tried the Veggie and Rice Steamer, which contained steamed vegetables in a bamboo bowl, with organic brown rice and spicy peanut sauce on the side. I felt seriously healthy, detoxified and stuffed when I was done! In the photo for this tip you'll see half of my Bombay Rollup (I was so exicted about eating it that I forgot to take the picture when it arrived!)- a great wrap stuffed with fresh vegetables, cashew-ginger hummous and tomato-ginger chutney. Have it with a side salad or cup of soup to round out your meal.

On your way out, you've GOT to buy the cookbook! I couldn't live without it. The owners of Rebar have generously shared some of their most popular recipes with the public... but even though I can now make my favorites at home, I still have to visit Rebar at least once a week!

• Eco-Tourism

• ldahl's Profile Photo

Rebar Modern Food: Awful! 2 of us got food poisoning!

by ldahl Written Dec 7, 2004

Rebar has a really good reputation and a popular cookbook. That's why we were so surprised at how bad it was. My friends and I went there for lunch and it took 1/2 hour for them to ask for our drink orders. Our food was slow and my friend waited another 1/2 hour to get 1 refill of her coffee. We weren't happy with that but we were all chatting so the long time didn't really bother us. The food was alright but I think the Blue Fox and Sunshine Cafe are better. After we all left, 2 of my friends who had ordered the bagal and lox got horribly sick. They both were throwing up for 3 hours after we ate. None of the rest of us got sick so it must have been their food. When they phoned the restaurant the next day to complain they were told that there was nothing the restaurant could do about it and for all the restaurant knew my friends were trying to scam them. What happened to respecting your customers? Plus, there were 6 of us out for lunch that day, we spent more than $100 and tipped generously and I was offended that they would assume that my friends were scamming them. None of us will ever go back and I will never recommend it to anyone. Awful!

• devmicha's Profile Photo

Rebar, Green Cuisine, Lotus Pond...: Veggie Heaven

by devmicha Written Jul 11, 2004

There is not a restaurant or pub in Victoria that doesn't have SOMETHING vegetarian on the menu. Most dishes can be made vegetarian and you even have options at Steakhouses and Seafood restaurants.
    People here are very understanding about presonal, life and diet choices and always try to be accomadating. (The Atkins Diet is the new craze and now all restaurants have ATKIND FRIENDLY Choices.)
    So far as eating is concerned Victoria is a heaven for those of us who eat no meat and even for those who choose to eat no dairy, eggs, etc.
    You can eat at ANY restaurant in Vic but there are three major Vegetarian or Vegan restaurants in Victoria who serve only organic foods.
    REBAR is located in Bastion Square and serves vegetarian and organic foods. Some have fish but most are veggie only. A meal with drinks will cost about $10-15 per person.
    GREEN CUISINE is a vegan buffet. There are many salads, curries, veggie, tofu and tempeh dishes. The price is by weight abnd cost less after 6pm. This pplace does tend to be a little bland though. A meal and drink price depends on how much yoou eat but plan on at least $5-20.
    LOTUS POND is also vegan and specialised in easter vegan cuisine. You can plan to spend $10+. It is yummy if you don't mind the menu which only describes the food (eg. "Fried Wheat Glutens.") It is located on Johnson Street Accross from Market Square.

Instant Answers: Victoria

Comments

Hotels Near Rebar Modern Food
3.0 out of 5 stars