Side Dish, Victoria

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Side Dish Persian Restaurant: very affordable Perisan delights

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 22, 2009

tasty ample meals

Side Dish Persian Restaurant was a lucky find. It was close to the Indian Curry House and we noticed it while walking around that area. It's a simple place that probably does a lot of takeaway but it is clean and perfect for a quick lunch. We went for dinner and it was fairly empty though we were not alone and others seemed to be return customers. Service was very friendly and efficient.

Favorite Dish: We split a Koobideh (C$ 12) which were beautifully spiced and cooked ground lamb kabobs. You have a choice of accompaniments and we picked hummus and pita bread. It looked big on the menu and we were not super hungry so were glad we ordered just the one meal. We also split one of their tasty Shirazi Salads (C$ 5). Taxes were included both GST/PST so very good value.

C$ 20 for dinner for two, by far our least expensive and perhaps best meal in Victoria.

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Side Dish Restaurant: Downtown Persian Buffet

by Jetgirly Written Aug 26, 2006

A Takeout Lunch Dish

I had been meaning to visit Side Dish Restaurant ever since I first saw it. Signs in the window announce their weekday lunch buffet- $7.50 for one (huge) plate. Finally, I had the opportunity to try out their buffet yesterday!

The buffet is large and encased behind glass, with restaurant staff dishing up your selections into a take-away carton or onto an eat-in plate. Top marks for hygeine. I told the guy to use his judgement and choose some vegetarian things for me to eat. He created a bed of three types of basmati rice (dill, saffron and cinnamon... the cinnamon was out of this world!). On top of the rice he spooned two different types of stew: one with vegetables and brown beans, the other with mushrooms and yellow lentils. We filled the remaning compartments of the to-go dish with tabbouleh and two dolmades.

When I returned to work with my take-away treats, not one, not two, but EIGHT people walked into the staff room and said, "That smells really good! Is it from across the street? No, where's it from?" None of them had ever heard of this restaurant and now they want to do a group outing next week so everyone can try it out themselves.

Instant Answers: Victoria

Comments

Hotels Near Side Dish
498 Opinions