The Avalon, Victoria

Fort St & Cook St.

The Avalon
    by Jetgirly
  • Jetgirly's Profile Photo

The Avalon: (Formerly) Amazing Breakfasts!

by Jetgirly Updated Dec 30, 2007

The Avalon

I've been keeping it inside for too long! I've been wanting to update my review for months now, but I haven't had the heart. Tonight, I realized the time had come.

My original review of The Avalon talked about what a wonderful restaurant it was, how the home-cooking was to die for, and how the service was great. Well, kids, times (and, more importantly, owners) have changed. I have been to The Avalon twice since they changed hands (about three years ago) and both times I have been underwhelmed. While The Avalon still serves up delectable oaten toast (quite possibly Victoria's best breakfast bread), the rest of the menu has slid. On a recent visit, I requested eggs that were scrambled firm- not runny. What arrived on my plate was a neon-yellow mush (all yolks, no whites... great for my heart... or not) that literally OOZED every time I put my fork into it. I was so repulsed by the oozing eggs that I couldn't even bring myself to ask for new ones, as I'd been totally turned off the idea of ever eating eggs again. The rest of the meal was also soggy and lackluster, with hash browns that weren't crisp and fried tomatoes that were far from ripe. The Avalon used to be packed all the time, but on both of my recent visits there was only one other party in the small restaurant. Clearly, locals have moved down the street to The Blue Fox, where your eggs look like food, hashbrowns come crispy (or extra-crispy if you ask) and the toast... well... call ahead and The Avalon will bake you a loaf to go!

Instant Answers: Victoria

Comments

Hotels Near The Avalon
5.0 out of 5 stars