Financial/Money, Victoria

by spitball
  • Financial/Money
    by meteorologist1
  • Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Information for Americans (and Others)

by Jetgirly Written Jun 1, 2004

Please note that you can only receive tax rebates on purchases where OVER $50 BEFORE TAX appear on the SAME RECEIPT.

Also, I encourage you to learn the values of Canadian coins before leaving home. I work in retail, and I can't even being to count the number of times an American tourist has dumpted a bunch of money in my hand at the cash register and said, "Here... you figure it out." Lucky for you I'm honest and would never think of taking anything extra, but a lot of people working in tourist shops are disgrunted minimum-wage employees and may take a few extra dollars if you give them the opportunity. This could happen in any country, which is why it's best for you to understand our currency (it's easy- I promise!)

• cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo

Refund and Taxes

by cinthya_in_victoria Written Jul 10, 2008

As in many other countries, Canada returns the TAX you pay in purchases above 50 CND in the same ticket and before tax. Just watch out you exceed it because I had two tickets for 49.50 each and I couldn't get a refund in those two... what a shame! All tickets within a year you letft Canada can apply.

Also be aware that all prices are listed before tax everywhere so, don't you be surprised if paying more when getting to the cash register.

• spitball's Profile Photo

Call before you dig!

by spitball Written Nov 9, 2006

General Strike

It doesn't always happen; a strike I mean. And when things start heating up, people generally gather on the Parlament Buildings lawn in this; our Provincial capital. Mostly people are well behaved up here, so this warning is simply a heads-up. Before you ruin your nice holiday to Victoria, check the news and find out if there is any political disturbances. It'll save you the headache.

• Business Travel
    • Seniors

• dhaynie111's Profile Photo

Beware the Cab Fares

by dhaynie111 Written Jun 9, 2005

We foolishly took a cab to Borchart Gardens, it cost around 100.00 US, but the government makes the cab wait for us for two hours while we toured the gardens. The cab then took us back for free. When we got back to our hotel, we found out that right across from the taxi stand was a tour bus that would have taken us there for 5.00.....

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

High Gasoline Prices

by meteorologist1 Written Sep 24, 2004

If you're driving over from the United States and used to the cheap gasoline (relative to other countries) that the United States enjoys, you will find that the gas prices in Canada are higher. When I was there, I saw that a liter of unleaded regular gas costs anywhere from $0.87 to $0.97 (Canadian). Converting that to U.S. dollars, it's roughly $0.65 to $0.73 a liter. But converting that to gallons, it's roughly $2.47 to $2.75 a gallon. So just keep in mind that; have a full tank of gas before driving over the border to Canada.

Instant Answers: Victoria

Comments

Other Warnings and Dangers in Victoria