Whistler Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Whistler

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Two Great Mountains to Ski

by Roadquill Updated Jan 23, 2011

The ski area has two great mountains to ski on, Whistler and Blackcomb. The two mountains are connected by a "peak to peak" gondola so you can easily stay on the top slopes which had the better skiing and snow. Most of the runs can be readily negotiated by an average skier, but provided a challenge good challenge to the better skiers who wanted who wanted to point the skiis downhill. The best way up the hill is to take either of the two gondolas. We found it was better to take an additional two chairs to get up on the top of the mountain.

• Spa and Resort

• lisha74's Profile Photo

Ziptrek

by lisha74 Written Dec 16, 2010
    Stepping off the ledge on the zipline

LOVED this!! Expensive, but completely worth the money. We went during the 2010 Winter Olympics and I understand they altered their regular courses a bit during that time. The trip up the mountain even included a ride on a snowcat, which I had never done before.

The tour itself lasted about 3 hours and included 5 ziplines. Two tour guides accompany you and give you a little nature education throughout the tour. But don't worry - its done in a very casual way and never gets preachy. Our guides in particular were fantastic! They had us laughing for most of the tour.

• Adventure Travel

PORTEAU COVE

Pretty Porteau Cove

Pretty little Porteau Cove is located on the most southerly fjord in North America.
    An old ship has been sunk here for divers, but for us, it was just a stop to stretch the legs and to enjoy the lovely water views.

We parked beside the jetty. The views of Howe sound were good here. We did notice the pebbly beach, and the driftwood, something I love! In Summer, people go swimming here.

Tide,wind and weather conditions can change suddenly in Howe Sound, so be careful if swimming and boating.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Fishing

STAWMUS CHIEF

A close up of Stawmus Chief

Stawmus Chief, mmmm??? is this the name of an Indian Chief, NO!! .....It is a name of sheer granite monolith right alongside Highway 99 at Squamish.

It was located near Shannon Falls, so a chance for us to take a look at both.
    The Stawamus Chief is the second largest granite monolith in the world.

No, I didn't climb it, I didn't have time, but I have read there are 180 different routes to reach the summit, where there are views of Howe Sound, Squamish and surrounding mountains. .

The routes all begin from from the base of this monolith, which is estimated to be 93 million years old. The climb is said to be a strenuous 7- to 11-km return hike, depending on which of three summit routes you choose. .
    We drove to the base of the Chief, where we could look up at this huge monolith. Mountain climbers were there, putting on their gear.

Even if you don't plan to hike, be sure to stop at the Stawamus Chief Mountain viewpoint, where there are interpretive signs and a good view, it's located on Hwy 99 in Squamish.

SHANNON WATERFALLS

Shannon Falls

WE made a stop at Shannon Waterfalls on our way to Vancouver.
    These falls are very easy to reach, as they are located just off Highway 99. There is a large car park, lawns, picnic tables and benches and Toilets.

The walk was on a paved track that took me over a bridge where a creek was running, and to the viewing platform, about 10mins at the most. This part is ok. for wheelchairs. The view was great, the water was flowing fast, plunging 335metres down the mountain side.
    These are the 3rd highest falls in British Columbia.

The second viewpoint, was not as easy to reach. Still a short walk, but a steep one, the viewing platform juts out from the cliff. More brilliant views!

Certainly worth a stop.

WHISTLER - BLACKCOMB

by balhannah Written Aug 12, 2010

On the chairlift, heading down to Whistler

Since I have been to Whistler, the 2010 Winter Olympics have been held here.

For us, it was a sightseeing Gondola ride to the top of Blackcomb Mountain where a mountain top restaurant was located. Wow! What 360degree views, and even though it was June, and Summer, way up the top here, there still was snow, and skiers and snowboarder's having a wonderful time.

For warmer climate people like us, seeing the Snow ploughs and the Mountain Ambulance, and animals called Marmot's on the Mountain, but no Bears, was quite an experience.
    It was quite cold at "the top" so we didn't hang about for long before taking another gondola down.

A word of warning..............
    We left from Whistler Village in quite decent, warm weather. The higher we went, the colder it got, and as we were leaving the Mountain top, drizzly rain set in. It was cold!!!
    So rug up!!

The views are incredible, and I would say, this is a MUST DO

This wasn't available when I was there, but there is now a world record-breaking PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola that runs 4.4-kilometre between peaks, I imagine this would be spectacular too!

Some facts on that are............
    •Longest unsupported span of 3.024 kilometres
    •Highest lift of its kind at 436 metres above the valley floor
    •Completes the longest continuous lift system on the globe

REGULAR SUMMER SEASON: MAY 29 - OCTOBER 11, 2010
    10 -5 pm or later when the daylight hours are longer
    PEAK 2 PEAK Alpine Experience $43.95 adult or $39.95 if you book online.

Water & Parks @ Whistler

by balhannah Written Jul 20, 2010

Water feature at Whistler

The Whistler Village Park is really lovely. I followed the pathway, which took me alongside beautiful water features, and nice sculptures. Lovely views of the small waterfalls, and the gardens were viewed from the bridges.

At Rebagliati Park, there is a covered bridge located over Fitzsimmons Creek.
    This park is lawned and has picnic tables.

All of this is located in the main part of Whistler Town, I thought it was very nice!

BRANDYWINE FALLS

by balhannah Updated Jul 20, 2010

Brandywine Falls

Just a short 20minute walk, and I was viewing the beautiful Brandywine Falls. There was a viewing platform, so I had a good view of these falls plunging 70 metres to the canyon at the bottom!
    From the second platform I could see Daisy Lake, and what a view it was, with spectacular Mountains surrounding it.

If you are lucky enough to be here in Winter, I was told the Falls become icy, and are very pretty.
    Picnic tables & chairs, plus Toilets are in the park.
    There is a gate which is locked between the hours of 11:00PM and 7:00AM.

ALSO........
    Day-use Area Vehicle Parking Fee: $1.00 per vehicle / hour to a maximum of $3.00 per vehicle per day.

WANDER AROUND WHISTLER VILLAGE

by balhannah Updated Jul 19, 2010

Whistle accommodation

Whistler Village in my view was pretty impressive looking! Units built in all styles of Alpine architectural mixes, and the surrounding Mountains as a backdrop, wow! this was nice!

The Village is a car-free town centre so I really enjoyed walking around here and browsing the shops, even though I didn't buy anything other than a Coffee. Needed that to warm me up, even though it was a sunny day!
    There are heaps of shops, over 200 that sell everything. I thought they were fairly expensive. Shops generally open at 9:00 am and close around 9:00 pm, depending on the season.
    Plenty of pubs, bars, cafes, outdoor areas for enjoying the great outdoors.

The FREE Village Shuttle runs from Marketplace (Village North) to the Upper Village loop seven days a week from 8:00 am to midnight. The front of the bus always reads "Village Shuttle"

• ChrisSheena's Profile Photo

Whistler - Blackcomb Gondola

by ChrisSheena Written May 15, 2010

Peak 2 Peak gondola

The Peak 2 Peak gondola operates between Blackcomb and Whistler mountains. It's a great way to ski both hills and get a great view of the surrounding area. Gondolas are every 50 seconds or so - we never waited long nor were cramped - even ski-ing during the Easter break. It takes 11 minutes to cover the 2.7 miles from one mountain to the other. For an added thrill, look out for the 2 silver gondolas - they have a glass panel in the floor !

• RACCOON1's Profile Photo

PEAK TO PEAK GONDOLA

by RACCOON1 Updated Mar 22, 2009

PEAK TO PEAK  GONDOLA

The PEAK TO PEAK Gondola is the latest toy at Whistler/Blackcomb. New for the 2008/2009 winter season and just in time for the 2010 Winter Olympics. An 11 minute ride from the Rendezvous Lodge on Blackcomb to the Roundhouse Lodge on Whistler. At mid-point the gondola is some 1500 feet above the valley below. Not really that scary and the Gondola can certainly take high winds. Two of the 28 gondolas ( the silver ones) have a glass bottom which is cordoned off so you do not stand on the glass.The PEAK TO PEAK GONDOLA is similar to the Kitzbuhel S3 gondola , but a little higher and longer , so the design has been tested .

• Whistler Tasting Tours

by diz84 Written Mar 9, 2009
    Starting Venue - Mallard Lounge

I'd never been on a restaurant tour before going out with Whistler Tasting Tours. I was worried it might be just little tasters of food and I would be hungry afterward. But there was plenty of food, and really tasty food at that. This was truly the highlight of our mini vacation to Whistler. It allowed us to sample so many different places and flavours. It was like being on a high end pub crawl. What a hoot!

• Luxury Travel

• Whistler Restaurant Tour Our Trip Highlight

by foodie123 Written Mar 5, 2009

My recent trip to Whistler was highlighted by a restaurant tour by Whistler Tasting Tours. It gave us the chance to taste the best Whistler restaurants in one night. This was by far our best activity in Whistler over our week long holiday. It is such a different and unique concept but the guys have sorted it out to work quite smooth.

Five restaurants; one course at each with wine pairings. A totally great way to explore the fantastic dining scene and it was really fun. I knew where to go for the rest of my holiday.

An absolute must in my opinion. The food and wines were great and the service was spectacular.

I would absolutely recommend this tour.

Foodie123

• andy.thompson's Profile Photo

Whistler Tasting Tours

by andy.thompson Updated Mar 5, 2009

These guys take you to 5 amazing Whistler restaurants in one night where you sample food and wine at each place.

It's really a great way to check out the Whistler dining scene. You don't have to decide on the menu, it's all set up for you, and super delicious. My girldfriend is a vegetarian and they were able to do something different for he too. It was also really great trying a bunch of BC wines I hadn't had before. I really liked the NkMip Pinot Noir.

I would highly recommend doing this tour, big thumbs up, as it's a dining experience like nothing else around. And considering what it costs to do any activities in Whistler, this is truly a great deal and a lot of fun.

• Luxury Travel

• cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo

Whistler Village

by cinthya_in_victoria Written Jan 3, 2008

This is fairy tale town. It offers shops, restaurants, hotels from B&B to 5 star ones, cafes, etc.
    It will house the next Winter Olympic games of 2010. Just watch out of bears! they can be in town trying to open a trash can or a car in search of food.

Walking in its streets snowing was like being in a fairy tale. Just awesome!!

Instant Answers: Whistler

Comments

Whistler Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Whistler things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whistler sightseeing.