Yoho National Park Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Yoho National Park

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Fly the flag

by scottishvisitor Updated Jan 27, 2007

In common with all the Canadian Provinces British Columbia has its own provincial flag, bird, animal and flower. The flower is the pacific dogwood, the tree the western red cedar, the bird the Steller's Jay and the animal of the Province is the otter. British Columbia has a motto in latin "Spledor Sine Occasu" = splendour without deminishment, I would agree with the motto. The only emblem of BC we didn't see was the otter but the rest were less elusive.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

The Train who blew her top

by scottishvisitor Updated Jan 21, 2007

I Blew my Top Off

Lots of railway stories abound in British Columbia and across Canada. This story centres around the train which blew her top of as she climbed the old railway line before the building of the spiral tunnels. The railway line learned her lesson - extra engines were added - two for pulling and two pushing - No more run-a-way-trains. You can read about the history of the bygone trains and see the now rusty old top at the visitor's centre near Field

What's this?

by zrim Written Jul 19, 2003

sluggo

I know this looks like excrement, but I'm not that crass (though I have considered posting some photos of bear scat). This is a slug. Not as cute as the banana slugs found on the Pacific Coast, but I kind of admire slugs. I think their antennae are a riot.

Three-toed Woodpecker feeding its chick

by zrim Written Jul 19, 2003

nature at its best

This shot unfortunately is not the best. When we hiked down to peaceful pond, I didn't think I'd need my telephoto zoom, so it stayed back in the car. This was the best I could do without disturbing the birds.

• zrim's Profile Photo

Waiting for the trains at Field

by zrim Written Jul 18, 2003

Mt. Stephen looms over Field

I don't know if you can make out the train blocking the street just after the bridge in this photo. Every time we were in Field, there was a long train standing motionless with its cargo cars blocking the Field townsight from the Trans-Canadian Highway. I guess if you live in Field, patience is soon acquired or you just gives up on ever leaving town.

Instant Answers: Yoho National Park

Comments

Yoho National Park Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Yoho National Park local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yoho National Park sightseeing.

View all Yoho National Park hotels