Did you mean?Try your search again
On November 1, 1818, Father Joseph-Norbert Provencher built on this site a small log chapel which he dedicated to Saint Boniface, the English missionary monk and apostle, who spread the Catholic faith among the Germanic tribes in the 8th century. Saint Boniface, the first permanent mission west of the Great Lakes, became the heart of Roman Catholic missionary activity extending to the Pacific and Arctic coasts, as well as serving the growing population of the Red River Settlement.
There have been five churches build on this spot. Only the outer walls remain from a devastating fire that burned much of the St. Boniface Basilica to the ground in 1968. But, they decided to keep what remained of the walls and build a new church directly behind the original.
Louis Reil is buried in the cemetary surrounding the church.
Updated Jun 21, 2006
Every February, for 10 days, Saint Boniface plays host to the largest winter festival in Western Canada. It celebrates the Manitoba's unique French-Canadian heritage and recalls the fur trade era of the 18th-century Red River colony.
The term Voyageur, a French word meaning "traveler", was applied originally in Canadian history to all explorers. It came in time to be restricted to the men who operated the canoes and bateaux or fur-traders.
The festival includes feasts, historical exhibits, arts and crafts, live entertainment, dog sled races, world-class snow sculptures, fiddle and jigging contests.
Updated Jun 8, 2006
Address: 866 St. Joseph Rd
The origins of Collège universitaire de Saint-Boniface (CUSB) date back to 1818, when Bishop Norbert Provencher founded a school to teach Latin to the boys of the Red River Colony. It was run first by the Oblate Fathers, then by the Christian Brothers, and finally by secular clergy, until in 1885 Bishop Alexandre Taché turned it over to the Jesuit Fathers, who continued to operate it until 1967. On November 10, 1969, the Archdiocese assigned the task of providing leadership for the CUSB over to a new board of directors, composed mainly of laypeople representing francophone organizations in Manitoba.
The CUSB, which was incorporated in Manitoba in 1871, shortly after the province itself was created, was the first university-level educational institution in Western Canada. In 1877 it joined with St. John's College and Manitoba College to found the University of Manitoba. Today, the degrees and diplomas offered by the CUSB continue to be conferred by the University of Manitoba.
The CUSB, which is situated on the edge of downtown Winnipeg in the heart of Old Saint-Boniface, occupies a building that once housed the Minor Seminary, and was donated to the corporation by Bishop Arthur Béliveau in 1922. A tragic fire had levelled the college's 1880 building, taking the lives of nine students and one Jesuit Brother. In 1924, with financial assistance from francophone communities in Manitoba and Quebec, a wing consisting of dormitories and recreation and assembly halls was added to the building. Using funds donated by alumni and friends, a gymnasium was built in 1956, and another wing added in 1961. Between 1972 and 1974, the provincial and federal governments funded the construction of a new building to house the teacher training and language programs and new science laboratories. During 1974 and 1975, space was added for Student Services, and a second gymnasium and new library were built. Most recently, the CUSB has constructed the Sportex, a state-of-the-art physical fitness facility.
Written Sep 18, 2005
Address: 200, avenue de la Cathédrale
Assiniboia Downs Race Track
Assiniboia Park and Zoo
Canwest Global Baseball Park
Club Regent and McPhillips Street Station Casinos
Forks National Historic Site
Fort Whyte Centre
Manitoba Children's Museum
Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature
Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame
Manitoba Theatre Centre
Oak Hammock Marsh
Paddlewheel Riverboat and Bus Tours
Royal Winnipeg Ballet
Western Canada Aviation Museum
Winnipeg Art Gallery
Winnipeg Convention Centre
Too many to list. Just do as many of these activities as possible.
Written Feb 25, 2003
Built in 1906, this building served as the St. Boniface city hall until the city was amalgamated with the city of Winnipeg in 1972.
Written Sep 12, 2005
Address: 219 Provencher Blvd