At the Forks, Winnipeg

3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - 5 Reviews

• At the Forks
    by guybert
  • Hangin' Out to Dry At the Old Spaghetti Factory
    Hangin' Out to Dry At the Old Spaghetti...
    by aphrodyte
  • At the Forks
    by mapakettle
  • mapakettle's Profile Photo

At the Forks...Muddy Water's Smokehouse: for Deep South Smoked Ribs...

by mapakettle Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a real happening place. I don't talk that way, but that is a description given by many. Lots of fun, great food, great ambience, great beer.

Favorite Dish: All meats are cooked the old Deep South way, in a smoker for hours and hours, so the meat literally falls off the bone. Great smoked flavour, tender, juicy.

• The Beachcomber: stay away from the beachcomber

by clintJ Written Aug 18, 2008

took a friend who was visiting Wpg here on a Saturday evening to show her the Forks district. Although the patio close to the river was nice the rest of the establishment was horrid. We ordered margaritas that tasted like watered down Kool Aid, my friend did not finish hers and ordered a Pepsi that had the consistency and taste of syrup. We had ordered a appetizer, but after 30 mins of waiting for it we gave up, asked for the bill and left. Luckily they only charged us for one drink. Overall, the drinks in plastic glasses were awful, the service was slow to non existent. It was probably a good thing our food never arrived. After this bad experience I would never take another outsider to the Forks for food or drinks again for I would be too embarrassed.

Favorite Dish: None

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Beachcombers: Beachcombers

by Babzz Updated May 2, 2008

Nice looking interior, menu looked good, but I was disappointed with my meal, which consisted of an over-cooked piece of fish on an oversized bed of half-wilted lettuce. However, they have a really nice patio overlooking the Forks, which is really nice to sit on in the summer with a cold beer. Verdict: come in the summer for a drink and appetizer. I give it 3 stars solely because the patio balances out the bad food.

UPDATE: After a second visit, still not impressed. I ordered swordfish, which tasted bland, with a side order of boring steamed vegetables. The pina colada was very nice though.

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

The Old Spaghetti Factory: Al Dente at the Old Spaghetti Factory

by aphrodyte Written Nov 3, 2003

Hangin' Out to Dry At the Old Spaghetti Factory

It is my understanding that this is one of the more popular restaurants in Winnipeg for family or group dining. I guess this is why we chose this place to meet up with some fellow internet gamers from the locale. There is lots of seating inside and out. You can also eat in the streetcar that's parked in the patio outside of the restaurant.

The meals are "heaping" platefuls of whatever it is you order. What is also interesting to note is that you can get your choice of six different sauces: tomato, rich meat sauce, spicy meat sauce, mushroom, herbed clam, and browned butter with mizithra cheese. You can also add small, meatballs or order specialty pastas like stuffed manicotti and lasagne. Chicken and veal are breaded parmagiana-style with mozzarella and red sauce.

Favorite Dish: We had some fried mushrooms and mozzarella sticks for appetizers. My brother and sister had the soup and some spaghetti thing with chicken and veal. I had the salad and seafood fettuccine alfredo which had some shrimp, scallops and mushrooms with spinach. Very creamy! My daughter had the chicken fingers.

I was the only one that imbibed and disappointingly it didn't have any kick to it. (or maybe I am such a lush!)

• guybert's Profile Photo

Branigan's Restaurant!: Excellent steak & lobster!

by guybert Updated Sep 26, 2002

The restaurant is located in The Forks & has an outdoor patio that is just off the river. Nice to sit outside in summer, but the inside is also fairly large & the atmosphere is good for the days that you would not want to be sitting outside (like when it's -25 below zero in the middle of winter).

Favorite Dish: I usually have one of 2 things, either a fillet mignon steak or I go for the veal cutlet. Both are good.

Instant Answers: Winnipeg