Places to eat in Winnipeg

Most Viewed Restaurants in Winnipeg

• birchy99's Profile Photo

Tavern United Pub: GOOD BEERS AND LOTS OF SPORTS

by birchy99 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tavern United is located in the Canad Inn complex at Ft. Garry in south Winnipeg. Styled after a British pub, this watering hole caters mainly to the University of Manitoba young crowd. The young waitresses are all decked out in short, plaid miniskirts. The beer selection is large with five or six microbrews on tap. Television screens are strategically located for viewing any kind of sporting event you wish.

Favorite Dish: Being next to the hotel during our five day stay this pub was a natural place to have an afternoon drink or a light lunch. The menu is extensive as is the drink selection.
    For my first meal I ordered a beef pie, thinking of those delicious pies one finds in true British pubs in the UK. Oh, my was I disappointed; this one was bland, pale, tasteless with tough meat. When I suggested to the waitress that the chef might like to know how I felt, she came back with the message that perhaps my tastes were different from his!!! Well, if that is an example of his tastes I pity his palate!! Other meals consisted of sandwiches and were quite good. Selections ranged from burgers, to toasties, to panninis and salads.

• Beer Tasting

• rdo911's Profile Photo

Royal Crown Revolving Restaurant: The Best View in Town!

by rdo911 Updated Apr 4, 2011

On the 31st floor of the apartment tower located directly behind the Fort Garry Hotel, you will find the Royal Crown. The whole restaurant slowly revolves around while you enjoy your meal.

Favorite Dish: The secret is to come here for lunch. All you can eat buffet where you can sample from many of our favourite local dishes. Lunch is around $10CDN.

If you prefer to wear a tuxedo when you eat, come here for dinner. Expect to pay $50-$80CDN and enjoy a night time very of the city. Okay, you don't actually have to wear a tuxedo, but if you show up wearing jeans you may feel underdressed for the occation.

Royal Crown Revolving Restaurant
    • Wine Tasting

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

The Elephant and Castle: Pub Grub

by bdwoot Updated Apr 4, 2011

Quite serviceable pub food, not quite authentic but still pretty good. A good selection of beers, mostly British.

Favorite Dish: At one time, the steak and kidney pie was on the menu. This fell off last time I was there, but you can still get good shepherd's pie.

• mapakettle's Profile Photo

Paradise Restaurant: Got a hankering for Italian...??

by mapakettle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Located immediately on Portage Ave., so if you're driving through the city westbound towards the prairies, it is on your right hand side.

Popular with those in the know, but not a usual spot for a tourist. More than a local restaurant, because it gets very busy with diners from all over the city.

Service can be spotty at times, we've had wonderful waitstaff, we've had horrendous waitstaff. Food is always good, but getting your meal can sometimes require patience, and a second drink.

Favorite Dish: All pasta is good. I particularly enjoy their Gnocci, and the mussels are often huge, with a wonderful lemon garlic sauce. I have been known to order three servings of these delectable little morsels. Of course, by this time, Ma Kettle has departed for another table.

The bread which is served with every meal is not baked, but rather pan fried, and even that description doesn't do it justice. I could dine on their bread alone, dipped in the sauce of my mussels.

The pizza is 'usually' good, but at times, depending upon the cook, as is true with any restaurant, is just satisfactory. When good, it literally makes fellow diners salivate into their soup, and the cheese is always plentiful, and a tad on the chewy side.

I often order take out when the temperature drops below minus 30 degrees, and enjoy my meal in the comfort of The Country Inn Suites.

• mapakettle's Profile Photo

Ducky's Fish and Chips: If you like Fish and Chips, read on...

by mapakettle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ducky's is the place to go if you like English Style Fish and Chips, actually, the owners are from the Maritimes, so more that style I guess.

The fish is hand picked every day, no standing orders with suppliers who send whatever. Consequently, the recommended fish changes daily. Just ask "What's fresh", and they will gladly tell you.

Lunch hour is hectic here, as many locals and businessmen stop by, plus everytime I've come, the window table appears to be occupied by Winnipeg's finest, the men in blue. That's always a good sign.

Arrive early, as seating is limited.

Favorite Dish: Fish as fresh as can be. As I mentioned already, the owner hand picks every fish he serves, and frozen is just unheard of.

The chips are hand cut, fish are deep fried upon request, and the cole slaw is absolutely great. I never could wheedle a receipe out of them.

look for the blue duck

Mongo's Grill: Stir-fry Heaven

by Babzz Updated May 2, 2008

This is an interesting buffet restaurant where you choose all your items from a large selection of vegetables, meats, and sauces, and then have them stir-fried for you on this huge grill in the middle of the restaurant. It's fun watching the cooks do their work; they have a great rotational system going on. I really enjoyed the food. I'd give the restaurant five stars for flavour, service, price, and creativity, but they lost a star for being wasteful: the cooks use big wads of paper towls to clean their utensils every few minutes; surely they could have reusable cloths! Also, Mongo's claims to be healthy because of all the vegetables, but with a ladle of oil for each serving, that's false advertising! But it is tasty....

See website for other Winnipeg location (also in Minnesota, USA).

UPDATE: After visiting a second time, I have decided not to come here anymore because I hate seeing the huge amount of waste from the paper towels. Thumbs (and two stars) down!

Favorite Dish: Khan's special sauce and Mongolian sauce are really tasty; I mixed them together. Also, the beef was really nice.

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Miso Japanese Restaurant: All-you-can-eat sushi!

by Babzz Written May 2, 2008

Excellent sushi! Beautifully presented on the plate. Come hungry. For $16 (lunch) or $20-something (dinner) you get all the sushi you can eat. The only "catch" is that if there are any leftovers at the end of your meal, you pay $0.75 a piece. Personally, I think this is a great system, as it discourages waste. This place gets busy, so I recommend reservations. Best sushi I've had in Winnipeg to date (out of four restaurants).

Favorite Dish: Everything with tempura was delicious.

Dalat Restaurant: Vietnamese and Chinese

by Babzz Written Mar 11, 2008

We had high hopes: the place looked really nice, the waitresses were friendly, the menu was big, but the food was way too salty, the mixed vegetables were mostly broccoli, and when we realised we could get the same quality of food at the fast food Chinese restaurant in the mall, we felt it was too expensive.

Favorite Dish: The salad rolls are nice and something you won't find in a Chinese-only restaurant. We didn't have soup, but many people came in just for rolls and soup, so maybe there's something we don't know??

Quatro Staggioni Restaurant: Bosnian and Mediterranean Fare

by Babzz Updated Feb 24, 2008

Not at all satisfying. The meals were mediocre: the sausages were unspiced and tasted like low-quality meat; the cheese & spinach filo pastry would have been good if the cheese didn't taste so sour. The place looked rundown, the toilet wouldn't flush, and there was no hand soap. There were no other customers when we arrived and there was this awkward silence. We didn't feel overly welcome and the waiter (owner?) didn't make us feel comfortable. It appears that the owner runs the shop next door as well so perhaps this is a little side enterprise to generate some extra income? I hope so for their sake, because I can't imagine this place surviving in the condition it is in now. First and last visit.

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Bobbie's Restaurant: Eastern European - For the Meat Lovers!

by Babzz Written Feb 24, 2008

I loved the decor - I felt like I was in Europe. I think the owners live in the same building and run the place on their own. The husband (Bobbie presumably?) served us and he was very friendly and attentive. The tables were elegantly arranged, giving the appearance of a fancy, expensive restaurant, but the prices werentt unreasonable, especially considering how much food we got. Nobody finished their meal and we had leftovers for dinner the next day. The meals were delicious. The menu is on their website. We will be returning here to try some more dishes.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed the Grillato (marinated BBQ chicken breast with their special mujdei garlic sauce). The Chicken Dracula was also very tasty, similar to the Grillato except it was chicken leg and the seasoning was slightly different. The mujdei garlic sauce is what stole the show, really tasty stuff, but don't eat it if you're planning on being social after! Like the title says: this is a meat lover's paradise (staying true to the Eastern European way!). The meals came with a couple pieces of carrots, so if you're like me and like your veggies too, order a side salad.

Pasta La Vista: Standard Italian

by Babzz Written Feb 8, 2008

This was a pretty standard Italian restaurant: pasta, pizza, steak, chicken parmesan...nothing special, not bad, just nothing special. More variety would have been nice, and more options for side dishes (substitutes perhaps?). The wines were pretty expensive. Otherwise, the service was good and the establishment looked really upscale (though most people were dressed pretty casually). We don't plan to return.

Favorite Dish: The steak was good, but not enough veggies on the side. I ordered a side salad. The ragu was mediocre. See menu on website.

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Bimi Japanese Restaurant: Sushi Anyone?

by Babzz Updated Feb 5, 2008

The setting is really nice, very clean. You have a choice of traditional (shoes off, sitting on mats) or dining room seating. You can order either combos, sushi platters, individual rolls, or a la carte meals. Alcohol is available, including Japanese beer and saki.

This restaurant seems to be very popular - it was very busy on a Tuesday night (though there is a 1/2 off individual rolls special going on at the moment on Mondays and Tuesday). Still, it receives excellent ratings on the internet.

Our waitress wasn't overly friendly or helpful (though she wasn't rude). Other waitresses seemed friendly though. We waited at least 45 min for our rolls, probably because it was busy, but another couple came in after us, but were served first, hmm...

The food itself was quite good. It's not the best Japanese restaurant I've been to, but it was good nevertheless. The chefs make the food on display, which is nice (to know your food is fresh!).

Favorite Dish: Anything with tuna or salmon is good. I wasn't too keen on other types of raw fish. The Tokyo rolls were really tasty. The hand wraps weren't filled enough and so I had mouthfuls of seaweed. I'd skip those - get the maki instead. Except for the avocado maki - just a slice of avocado and some rice. Get salad instead if you're like me and need some veggies!

Star Grill: Unique but Expensive

by Babzz Updated Jan 19, 2008

This small restaurant has a really neat atmosphere following an astrological theme. In fact, they offer tarot card readings as well. As unique as the atmosphere is, we weren't overly impressed with the food, which was quite expensive and not worth the money. That said, perhaps it's worth one visit just for its unique nature. Menu available on their website.

Favorite Dish: The calamari appetizer was nice.

• finkycake's Profile Photo

Moxie's Grill: Moxie's at the MTS

by finkycake Written Oct 5, 2007

From the moment you walk in the service is fantastic - a little intimidating to us Brits! The menu has a fantastic selection, I really had a hard time choosing starter, main and dessert. Food is relatively quick and tastes awesome! We ate there three times in total and loved every meal - the staff were also very accommodating to the fact we had suitcases with us the last time we visited. The decor is comfy and intimate. They also do great daily deals on martinis and cocktails if you're interested. It's slightly more expensive than the average restaurant but still pretty good prices when you consider how good the food and service is. If your interested in ice hockey it's also part of the MTS centre, home to the Manitoba Mooses.

Favorite Dish: Blackened New York Steak - cooked to your liking in cajun spices, this steak is great for those seeking a bit of a kick. It is served with either a baked potato or garlic mash and vegetables. I recommend the garlic mash - my boyfriend wants to me to recreate it at home!

Ivory Restaurant: Indian Buffet

by Babzz Updated Oct 3, 2007

We really enjoyed the dinner buffet, which had a great variety of main dishes, appetizers, and desserts. The wine/beer selection was very nice as well. The layout of the restaurant was very modern, very tasteful. The owner was very hospitable. Free parking in the adjacent parking lot for restaurant guests was a bonus (free downtown parking is hard to come by!). Make sure to get your parking ticket stamped at the restaurant or show your receipt at the pay booth as proof of visit. Visit Where.ca for a lengthy review/description and map of the restaurant. We will return.

Winnipeg Hotels

Fort Garry Hotel
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Winnipeg Thriftlodge

Instant Answers: Winnipeg

Comments

Winnipeg Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Winnipeg locals.
Map of Winnipeg