Pembina Strip, Winnipeg

Pembina Hwy.

• Sushi Train - Pembina Strip: Choo choo!

by Maestr0 Written Jun 27, 2007

There are three of these restaurants in Winnipeg. The other two are located at the Forks Market and at Madison Square. Sushi Trains are at the low end of the sushi restaurants you can visit in Winnipeg. It's not bad, but it's not the best you can get either.

You can sit at a table or at the bar where the sushi train goes around on a track. There will be one or two people in the middle of the tracks working at a counter preparing the sushi. You can order from the menu and / or take prepared sushi off the train to eat. The atmosphere is casual, and it seems the ideal place for lunch. The service when I was there was very friendly, and the restaurant as a whole is clean.

I ordered an assortment of sashimi on rice. Edamame and miso soup was also served with this -- the edamame was much better served than some other Japanese places I have eaten at, and the soup was average. The very large bowl of assorted sashimi arrived soon after, and I was surprised at the large cuts hanging over the deep, oversized bowl. You get large quantities of fresh sushi for a low price.

I ate two kinds of seafood for the first time: octopus (large suction cup and all, never again...) and what appeared to be some kind of clam meat. I have a feeling one or the other (or perhaps the scallop) was responsible for making made me ill later, but I believe that was a personal reaction, not a preparation or freshness issue. Nothing tasted fishy or bad, and I have encountered some pretty bad sushi before.

Recommended for lunch.

• Hermanater's Profile Photo

Celebrations Dinner Theater: Dinner Theater

by Hermanater Written Apr 18, 2006

This was a dinner theater that catered to adults as well as kids. This kid's meal was a little lacking though. The serving staff was GREAT. They involved many of the patrons into the show. It was a great time and the actors were very talented.

We went to 3 different productions. Since moving to Calgary, we have been to Jubilations, a sister theater.

A great outing.

Favorite Dish: Grilled Chicken

• Theater Travel

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Palatal Restaurant: Palatal Restaurant

by Babzz Written Mar 30, 2008

Specialising in Mongolian fare. You select your meat and vegetables, and they cook it up for you on a big grill. It has a cafeteria-style arrangement, but you can sit down as well as order take-out. I wouldn't come here for an intimate meal, but it's good for a quick lunch or dinner. The food was really tasty and portion sizes were good.

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Sweet Palace: Sweet Palace

by Babzz Updated Mar 28, 2008

Serving Pakistani food. Offer lunch and dinner buffet for good prices (dinner buffet was $13 in 2008). Selection was limited - but considering the price, this was reasonable. However, the meats were a bit disappointing. The vegetables were tasty, samosas were good. Service was very good and the dining area looked clean, but the washroom was a bit run down. Probably the highlight for me was the selection of sweets that could be ordered at the counter as a snack for the road. I tried a tasty treat made from chickpea flour and dipped in syrup. I wouldn't return for dinner, but perhaps when I have a craving for something sweet...

Instant Answers: Winnipeg