General city Information, Winnipeg

Know about this?

• General city Information
    by sirpantsalot
  • Winnipeg's roads will damage your vehicle

by jjohnn Written Jun 24, 2014

If you drive in Winnipeg, DO NOT use your own car. The roads have obviously not been maintained for years and there are potholes absolutely everywhere. Most cities have fixed all the potholes by the end of May, but I'm here in Winnipeg in late June and I see far more open potholes than fixed potholes. Some portions of major streets have been resurfaced, but not many. The problem seems to be lack of joint maintenance. Most streets are concrete, with chunks missing at the joints. Streets with an asphalt overlay have potholes deep and wide enough to do major damage to a vehicle. If you encounter a street where potholes have been patched, they always seem to have missed so many that you still have to drive slow and watch the road more than the traffic. Many residential streets require a speed as low as 10 mph to avoid hitting a pothole that WILL damage your vehicle. Parts of the major streets are more safely driven at half the speed limit. Honestly, I don't know how the people who live in Winnipeg put up with it because I've never seen a city with roads as bad.

• Motorcycle

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo

Extra careful at night

by kemisteryoso Updated Jul 7, 2011

Well,don't be alone at night especially in downtown area. It was a surprise to me coming from a third world country. There are lots of drunken men on the street and some even beg for cigars. Some will ask for money so that they can ride the bus. It's not a good sight for me and I am uneasy about it. One guy even shouted at me asking for a cigarette and Itold him that I don't smoke. I think being flashy at night is not good as well.

But you can call for a Safe Walk if you see someone intoxicated, aggressively panhandling or someone in need of assistance. It is 24/7 service.

• sirpantsalot's Profile Photo

Downtown or the North End of...

by sirpantsalot Written Aug 24, 2002

Downtown or the North End of the city is not a place for people walking alone or without protection. At night I lock my doors in my truck when driving through that sector. No smoking is allowed in our malls though.
    We have can have a serious problem in this area with mosquitoes and ticks from May till Sept. If you walk in the woods or grassy areas, please check you and your pet for any ticks after your walk. They can make you or your pet very sick. Remember that the best repellent for mosquitoes is tried and tested sprays or creams that contain Deet. For an up to date bug forecast go here: http://www.muskol.com/content.htm

Instant Answers: Winnipeg