Deer Island Off The Beaten Path

• Russ prepares to wade across to the lobster pound
    Russ prepares to wade across to the...
    A family plot, not far from Fairhaven
    A roadside scene

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Deer Island

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

'Piranha' Clams

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 25, 2006

Russ prepares to wade across to the lobster pound

At first landing on Deer Island, we immediately turned off onto a small highway along the northwest coast, a dead-end road leading to Northern Harbour. It was an interesting ride and, just before we descended the steepest hill of the entire trip, I said to Russ that I hope we don't have to bike back up this thing! Sure enough, we soon came to the end of the line at the world's largest lobster pound on the point. These pounds, made with long poles driven into the seafloor are located in various coves throughout the island, and function as holding structures where lobsters are kept for shipment to local and international markets.

As we started the trip back, I noticed a power line cutting through the forest in the direction we really wanted to travel. I mentioned to Russ that we should check out the track running along the line to see if maybe we could find a shortcut to avoid the big hill. In doing this, we soon came to the inlet of Northern Harbour, spotting another lobster pound with its seaweed covered wooden piles on the far side of the water. We could also see a very good looking road on the other side, temptingly close! Since it just happened to be low tide, Russ decided that he was going to wade across the shallow 'Clam Creek', rather than face the 'mountain'. We took our sneakers off and scouted the creek out - finding the entire area covered with millions of sharp clam shells mired in and laying on the mucky bottom. We decided to wade across anyway while pushing our bikes, walking very gingerly to avoid any serious damage from the shells. At one point I felt the start of a cut on one of my toes but took the pressure off before it progressed into something serious. We were soon across, a bit muddier but still going. We had to walk the length of the pound wall before finding an ATV trail that led up into the woods and soon we were on an excellent road and on our way. When I told the ladies who ran our motel what we had done, they laughed uproariously at our 'short-cut'!

• Beaches
    • Cycling

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Little Oddities

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 20, 2006

A family plot, not far from Fairhaven

The morning we left our accommodations in Fairhaven found us with some spare time before we could catch the first ferry run to Campobello Island. As a result, we decided to take a short ride out to Calders Head, a point of land jutting out into Passamaquoddy Bay to the west of our overnight stop. As with all our rides on Deer Island, this was an enjoyable little jaunt, with the usual dealing with a hill or two before reaching the end of the line. However, we noticed a small and overgrown cemetary off to the side of the road near its end, so we biked in for a closer look. Judging from the gravestones, this was family plot covering a timespan from the early days of settlement right up to the present. I was particularly intrigued by the large headstone at the right side of this view. Due to weathering of the granite over time, all I could make out was that it was dedicated to a drowned Captain (1892) and various relatives of his dating from 1833-1922. The smaller headstone to the left was dedicated to Henry Calder, died at 28 years of age on June 5, 1855 - "It is good to lie down among friends".

Another view that struck my fancy was this old shack (2nd photo) beside the highway leading to Deer Island Point Park and the ferries to Campobello Island and Eastport, Maine. Located next to a local artist's shop, the arrangement of buoys and surrounding shrubbery struck a chord with me.

• Cycling
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Deer Island

Comments

Deer Island Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Deer Island off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Deer Island sightseeing.