Fredericton Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Fredericton

Snooty Fox Pub: English pub atmosphere

by Canuck5 Updated May 27, 2013

Snooty Fox pub

The Snooty Fox is done up in an English pub style, with hardwood floors, a brick fireplace, and finished in oak. The lighting is kept low, and though it's not really a place to bring children, it is popular with the university and up crowd.

Appetizers, lunch and dinner items run between CDN$ 7.00 - $16.00, which is quite reasonable for downtown restaurant prices. [2005 prices]

They also have "Weekender" brunch items, which run between $4.00 - 8.00. [in 2005]

They have quite a variety of draught beer to choose from.

The menu is posted outside, and inside, the staff is friendly and helpful.

The Fredericton Playhouse is less than a block away, and Officer's Square is diagonally across the street. If you're in Fredericton during the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival held each September, the Snooty Fox would be a convenient place to grab a meal.

Favorite Dish: We started with the artichoke, spinach and cheese dip, served with pita bread wedges and tortilla chips, at $9.00. Another VT-er had recommended it, and we both found it delicious.

I had the Basil Chicken and Broccoli skillet, which came with two slices of garlic french bread. The basil paste made it too salty for my liking. (My wife, who adds salt to almost everything, agreed.)

She had the chicken stir fry on rice, and enjoyed it.

Our meal for two, including the appetizer and a drink each, came to $50.00

• Music

Thai Manao: Thai food

by Canuck5 Written May 27, 2013

The Thai Manao is at the former location of the Yoo China Curry House, adjacent to Montana's. They have a nice variety of Thai food at very reasonable prices: nine appetizers ranging from $6. - $12., 20 entrees range from between $12. - $20., and a dozen options in their $10. lunch menu. The menu indicates which items are gluten-free, and they'll offer their spicier dishes at your comfort level of "heat".

Favorite Dish: Five of us ate their recently for the first time, and we all enjoyed the food. The service was friendly and prompt, and the place has a nice décor. The Friday evening we were there, it filled up quickly with clients.

Would recommend this place, and we'll be back.

• Festivals

• Canuck5's Profile Photo

Isaac's Way Rest. & Bar(formerly Rye's Deli & Pub): Isaac's Way Restaurant & Bar

by Canuck5 Updated May 27, 2013

Isaac's Way Restaurant and Bar

*** October 2012 update***: Saddly, this restaurant and an adjoined rooming house were destroyed by fire overnight on Oct. 6-7th, 2012. Waiting to see if they will re-build, but at the moment it's a parking lot.

===========================================================

Original post: Since the fall of 2005, this place has had the new name of Isaac's Way Restaurant & Bar, but is still under the same management and staff as when it held the Rye's Deli franchise previously. It's got a new menu, and a variety of meals to choose from.

I went here for lunch recently, and had their Portobello Beef sandwich, which came with soup and cole slaw, for about CAD$10.

Favorite Dish: Restaurants prices in the downtown core of Fredericton are usually in the same ballpark as other sit-down (ie. non fast-food) restaurants in the same area.

Isaac's Way is just around the corner from Brewbaker's restaurant.

I can't say what my favourite dish is yet, since I've only eaten here twice.

Oriental Pearl: Chinese

by Canuck5 Written Mar 22, 2013

My wife and I recently ate here for our first time. I ordered the General Tso's Chicken combo (about $10.), while my wife ordered the sweet-and-sour pork combo (about $8.)

The restaurant was clean and inviting, the service was friendly, and the prices reasonable. Both dishes arrived hot. For this chicken dish, you're offered your choice of how spicy you want the soya-based sauce. Both dishes arrived with an egg roll and white rice.

The chicken was good, but there was no "wow" factor. The pork dish was more disappointing, however. My partner said that had she not known it was supposed to be pork, she wouldn't have. The small pieces of batter-fried pork tasted more of the fried batter, than of pork.

A Dinner for Two combo will run you $25. There's also a Dim Sum menu to choose from.

Garrison District Ale House: Ale House

by Canuck5 Updated Mar 22, 2013

Garrison District Ale House

** UPDATE: The restaurant suffered a serious fire on Friday night, January 4th, 2013. They are planning to re-open after repairs and renovations, but I haven't heard when yet.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This restaurant has changed names and owners on several occasions over the past few years. When I first moved to Fredericton, it was a bank.

A few years ago, it was called Amici's Italian Cuisine, a nice place for fine dining. I had eaten there once for dinner. The place was packed, and the service and food were both great.

Then, it became Mojo's, where I ate once for lunch on a Friday. Our small group of five was only one of two tables with customers, but again, the food and service were both great. The sweet potato fries were not home-made, but I could overlook this.

Since November, 2008, it has been re-named, the "Garrison District Ale House". I ate there with my wife on Valentine's Day, 2009, and their menu offers a varied selection. I had the Philly Cheese Steak on a hoagie and some sweet potato fries, my wife had the chicken stir fry, and we both had the jalapeno Havarti cheese rolls (5), done in fried wontons, as an appetizer. All were very good. A half-litre glass of Picaroons Bitter and a glass of Shiraz, and the bill came to $60.

Favorite Dish: As the new name implies, it has a varied choice of ales, liquor and wines.

Try one of the Picaroons ales, a local micro-brewery.

• Wine Tasting

Frank's Finer Diner: Frank's Finer Diner

by Canuck5 Updated Mar 22, 2013

Frank's Finer Diner, Fredericton, NB

Frank's Finer Diner has been in Fredericton for a number of years. They used to be located on Main St. where Jives Restaurant & Bar used to be, and where the Chinese 777 restaurant is now located (as of 2012)

In 2007, Frank's moved to its current location, across from the new Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire on Fredericton's north side, on Two Nations Crossing by the traffic lights.

Expect a 50's-themed restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I have eaten at Frank's for breakfast before they moved to their current location, and found it good food, but I haven't eaten at their new location yet.

Breakfasts will run between CAD $7. - 10., while the children's breakfast is $3.50.

For lunches and suppers, the menu has lots of different things to choose from, and will run you between CAD$ 6. - $20.

• Motorcycle
    • Seniors

(Formerly) Oscar's Bar & Bistro: Charlie's Bar and Grill

Howard Johnson's, Fredericton, NB

***Aug. 1/09 update***: this place has now been taken over by the Howard Johnson's motel chain. Oscar's Bar & Bistro is no more. It's currently known as Charlie's Bar & Grill.

With the change of ownership, came a facelift of the front of the motel.

Favorite Dish: Had lunch here once in August '07, outside on their patio beside the inn's outdoor pool. I had the Orleans Chicken Sandwich for CDN$9.00, which was very good. A number of their meals, including mine, come with "matchsticks", which is their form of french fry cut about 1/8 " diameter, and about 1 to 1-1/2 " long. I found them somewhat over-fried, unfortunately. Two others in our party had the wraps, which they liked.

However, since the motel has been taken over by the Howard Johnson's chain, I can't say if they're still serving the same fare at poolside during the summer.

• Motorcycle

Jives Restaurant & Bar: Jives Restaurant & Bar

Jives Restaurant, Fredericton, NB

*** 2010 UPDATE ***: Jives closed its doors in 2010.

*** 2012 UPDATE ***: It re-opened in 2012 as the Chinese 777 restaurant. It has a buffet, but the selection is smaller than the Jubilee on Prospect St. The supper price for the buffet is $18., which I think is a bit pricey when compared to the Jubilee. You can also order a la carte.

===========================================================
    Original post (for Jives restaurant):
    Jives opened in 2007, on the old site of Frank's Finer Diner.

My wife and I ate there once, and the food was great.

Their menu includes just about everything... lamb, pasta, chicken, Thai, pork, seafood, steak, etc.
    Breakfasts run from between CAD$ 6. - $11. Lunches are between $9. - $13. Dinner prices for main courses run between CAD$ 14. to $21.

• Canuck5's Profile Photo

El Burrito Loco: More Mexican !!

by Canuck5 Updated Oct 8, 2012

El Burrito Loco, view from Westmorland St.

*** 2012 update *** This place is now the new location of Mexicali Rosa's.

It used to be the El Burrito Loco mexican restaurant. I haven't been in to eat here since the name change.
    =============================================================

Original post (for the El Burrito Loco restaurant):
    If you like Mexican fare, here's a place to try. I was in there for the first time recently, after others said that the food was absolutely delicious. They have just expanded in size, and the new section opened in Dec. '05.

When the Harvest Jazz & Blues Festival is in full swing in September, this place is not far from the action.

The downstairs dining area was more dimly lit than if you take a table upstairs, where there are more windows.

Favorite Dish: The new menu features all the mexican dishes you would expect: Burritos, Chimichangas, Quesadillas, Tacos, Fajitas, Flautas (aka Taquitos), Enchiladas, Empanadas, and Nachos. Their new menu also includes steak, shrimp, scallops, chicken, ribs, as well as sandwiches.

Prices range from CAD$8. for soup or a sandwich, to $29. for "el grande platter".
    Combo plates range between $13. to $17.50, while specific mexican entrées range between $10. - $22.

I was in there for lunch recently, and had their beef chimichanga with Mexican rice and refried beans. The chimichanga was topped with guacamole and sour cream, and was very good, all for about $11.00 plus tax.

• Festivals

Seasons Chinese Family Restaurant: Genuine Chinese cuisine

Seasons Chinese Family Restaurant

*** 2009-05-11 update: Seasons has closed its doors. This place is now a dental clinic.

---------------------
    Original post:
    If you're looking for genuine Chinese food, not the North Americanized style stuff, your best bet in Fredericton is probably the Seasons Chinese Family Restaurant.

It's open everyday except Mondays. On Saturday and Sunday, it's only open after 5 pm.

It's also wheelchair-accessible.

• Sailing and Boating

• ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

Hilltop Grill & Beverage Company: Substandard even for bar food

by ZeekLTK Written Feb 19, 2012

We stopped in here for lunch one day and were very disappointed by both the food and the service here. It was a Saturday afternoon and was pretty empty. We soon found out why. The waitress took forever to come take our order, and then rarely came to check on us after we had placed our order.

On top of that, the food was decent at best. I ordered a bacon-cheese burger and it was alright. However, my girlfriend ordered chicken fajitas which looked like it was just pulled out of the freezer and re-heated in a microwave. It wasn't even fully warm either, it was actually still cold on the inside.

Overall, we obviously weren't very impressed with this place and probably wouldn't go back for food any time soon. It looks like it could be a nice play to grab a drink on a weekend though.

Jungle Jim's Restaurant: Jungle Jim's

by Canuck5 Updated Jul 15, 2011

Old pic of Sucoma Grill, now a Jungle Jim's.

This restaurant was originally called "Keystone Kelly's". In September 2006 under new management, it became the Sucoma Grill. Around January 2008, it changed again, and it is now another in the "Jungle Jim's" restaurant chain.

I don't know if it's the location, management, staff, or just bad karma, but I've never been able to give this restaurant a good recommendation. When we first ate there when it was Keystone Kelly's, the food was good, but towards the end, on two separate occasions, the food arrived cold. I didn't go back when it was the Sucoma Grill, but they didn't last long anyway.

Then, I was disappointed the first time I ate there as a Jungle Jim's. I complained to their J.J. headquarters and they comp-ed me my next meal. It was a bit better the next time I went, but I haven't been back there since.

Chez Riz: Indian-Pakistani cuisine

by Canuck5 Updated Jul 15, 2011

Chez Riz Indian and Pakistani Restaurant

If you're looking to try East Indian cuisine, this would be the place to go. It was recently featured in Canada's national restaurant guide, "Where to Eat in Canada".

Favorite Dish: I ate here in June 2010 with my family, and we ate on the outdoor patio out back. We ordered four different entrées and shared them around. Everyone enjoyed the food.

Each entrée was about $20. CAD. Prices are comparable to other downtown restaurants.

The Lunar Rogue: English pub atmosphere

by Canuck5 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Lunar Rogue

This place reminds me of an English pub, and has been a popular spot for Frederictonians since May of 1989.

I've eaten here on several occasions over the years, and the food has always been good, arrived hot, and at reasonable prices.

They've got a wide variety of things on their menu, including salads, and pasta, seafood, and grill dishes.

Good place to eat !

Favorite Dish: Here's a link to their menu:

The most expensive item is a full rack of BBQ ribs, at $19.00.

They've also got a special going that if you are attending an event at The Playhouse (which is practically next door), just show your ticket to the server, you'll get 15% discounted off your meal. If you're just coming to the Lunar Rogue after the show, just show your ticket stub and get your drink at the Happy Hour price.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Snooty Fox: A nice pub feel to this one!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Apr 4, 2011

Steak & Guinness pie with a Heineken

The Snooty Fox has been in Fredericton for a few years now and I have eaten there more than once! The decor is English pub-style, with a cosy bar area at one side of a small entrance room which is divided into booths. In the depths of the building is another larger room with more of an open-seating plan. Adding to its 'historic' look are hardwood floors, oak finishing on the walls and a nice fireplace.

Although the ususal English-style dishes can be had, the restaurant also offers a nice selection of international dishes (including various degrees of 'hot' in its Thai offerings), chicken wings and so.

Favorite Dish: In my case, Sue had left me so she could spend a month in England to help with her elderly parents. After 10-days of my own cooking, I figured I was owed a treat and, besides, if she was in England I would have to get to an English pub myself the best way I knew how! I was by myself, so sat up at the bar and was served up very promptly by the bar maid.

I was in the mood for something hearty, and their Steak & Guinness Pie offering (US$7.70) immediately caught my eye. This steaming dish consists of braised beef with button mushrooms, carrots and onions, served in a bowl and covered with puff pastry. The side included mashed potatoes with gravey and mixed vegetables of kernals of corn, green pepper, zuchini slices and red onion. A nice 20-ounce amber Heineken draft from the tap (US$5.50) went down very nicely with this delicious meal - the chunks of beef were very tender and there was not a scrap left on my plate when I finished! The total cost with taxes and a tip was US$17.

Instant Answers: Fredericton

Comments

Fredericton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fredericton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fredericton sightseeing.