Magaguadavic Lake Off The Beaten Path

Red-Necked Grebe

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Magaguadavic Lake

A Riverside Farm

by Bwana_Brown Updated Sep 12, 2004

As I drove on, I left the Saint John River and headed overland along one of its tributaries called Washadamoek Lake (into which the Canaan River flows), not far from the small village of Codys. I get great enjoyment out of seeing some of the older farmsteads with their very 'lived-in' appearance. This one had a great location beside the water of the Lake. It was not far from here that I spotted a Bald Eagle cruising the skies for a possible afternoon fish snack!

A Great View!

White-Tailed Deer

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 27, 2003

New Brunswick has an abundance of wildlife. One of the advantages of a canoe is that you can paddle quietly along and, very often, surprise wildlife that would otherwise hear you coming for miles if you were crashing through the underbrush! In this case, we came across a White-tailed Deer feeding at the edge of the water. This is no great discovery because I actually get them in my back yard all winter long as they come out of the forest searching for easier pickings. They will often come up to my bird-feeder and beat it about as they nibble on the seeds!

Surprised While Feeding
    • Sailing and Boating

Something Different

by Bwana_Brown Written Nov 27, 2003

Although Common Loons are a fixture on the lakes of New Brunswick, it is much more difficult to see a Red-Necked Grebe. These birds (18 inches long) are about half the size of a loon and they are usually found in lakes and ponds searching for small fish, crustaceans, tadpoles and insects. They spend their winters in the southern USA. We saw this bird while we were leaving our first campsite on the beach. When hiking or canoeing, I never leave home without my birdbook and binoculars because you never know when you will come across something interesting!

Red-Necked Grebe
    • Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Magaguadavic Lake

Comments

Magaguadavic Lake Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Magaguadavic Lake off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Magaguadavic Lake sightseeing.

View all Magaguadavic Lake hotels