Places to eat in Province of New Brunswick

by Canuck5

Most Viewed Restaurants in Province of New Brunswick

Diplomat Restaurant: Delicious Chinese food

by Bwana_Brown Updated Apr 4, 2011

While in Fredericton, one of your best bets for a great meal is the Diplomat restaurant. This restaurant was built on the site of the former Diplomat Motel after this prime riverfront area was bought by the Sheraton chain of hotels. As a condition of building the new Sheraton on the property, the owners of the old Motel were allowed to build a new 'Diplomat Restaurant' on their former location. The Sheraton recently changed ownership and is now a Delta Hotel, the finest in Fredericton and all of New Brunswick in my opinion.

Favorite Dish: Although the Diplomat serves all the traditional 'western' types of meals, its speciality is a Chinese buffet, or individual Chinese meals. While my wife's sister was visiting from England, we headed there one night to sample their fare. I was surprised to see that they had completely re-done the interior with very well appointed individual booths with glass dividers. I really enjoyed the Chinese buffet with its many choices, including spare ribs and dessert (US$15) while the ladies settled for individual 'Half-Meals' of Szechuan Seafood and Scallops Singapore (US$10 each). We all raved about how much we enjoyed all the dishes! With a Moosehead beer for me and two glasses of wine, the bill came to US$57 for the three of us (including tip and taxes). We left well satisfied!

View from the Delta parking lot

• Galloway's: Casual dining oceanside

by willtryanythingonce Written Dec 26, 2007

Not very many restaurants on Grand Manan - this one, connected to a small lodging hotel, serves good, inexpensive food in a very casual setting. A patio for those nice days is attached for dining. A full separate bar and pool table/video games dominate the room, but booths provide dining privacy. Seafood combo's, italian specialties, burgers and sandwichs - good food, good prices!

Favorite Dish: Seafood combo platter has everything you'd want at a ridiculously cheap price

Rocky shore of Head Harbour Light: A seaside picnic

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 7, 2007

If you are just out for a day-trip, why not take a picnic lunch along and enjoy it at the side of a back country road or on a beach somewhere? That is what Russ and I always do on our annual biking trips. In this case, after 'working' our way out to Head Harbour Lighthouse over the hills of Campobello Island, it was great to finally be able to just relax in the sunshine for a bit! It was one of those special Bay of Fundy days when the temperature got all the way up to 24 C with just a pleasant breeze blowing. After having a look around the lighthouse complex itself, we continued past it by scrambling over various huge boulders until we almost reached the end of the line. For our lunchtime picnic, we settled for a small area of rocks that had the least amount of Sea Gull 'ornaments' on its surface!

Favorite Dish: We had brought our crackers and cheese, as well as bottles of water and a single bottle of wine along to help us settle into our early afternoon spell of relaxation. From this oceanside view of the lighthouse, we could see Deer Island in the background across the channel and Russell also spotted a distant schooner approaching from the direction of The Wolves. This is a small, rocky and unihabited group of 5 islets with only a few fishing shacks adorning its shores. Perhaps their big moment in history took place between 1920-33 when the American government brought in Prohibition, banning the sale of alcohol throughout the country. Enterprising individuals were soon sailing Jamaican rum north and anchoring off these Canadian islets where local fishermen would ferry the cargo ashore to the Maine coast, at a mark-up of over 200 times what they paid for it! Once we had satisfied ourselves with this 'picnic reward' for our efforts, we turned to head back - it seemed to go a lot faster for some reason!

Rocky headland of Head Harbour Light A schooner approaches from distant 'The Wolves' Entering Head Harbour as it passes our picnic spot
    • Cycling

An island in Little Magaguadavic Lake: Open-air dining

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 7, 2007

The government operates many campgrounds located in all parts of the Province, and there are privately run ones as well. These are quite well run places with all the required amenities and usually are located in very scenic surroundings.

However, because of the sparse population of this heavily-treed province, there are many opportunities to just head off on your own for an overnight adventure. Based on my many canoeing trips, there is nothing quite like being on a small island all by yourself! No sounds of human intrusions, just the wind in the pine trees, the waves lapping on the beach and the eerie call of the Common Loons! One beautiful summer evening out on an un-named island in Little Magaguadavic Lake, it could not have been better!

Favorite Dish: I always found that even simple food seemed to taste better when it was prepared at a campsite! The green Coleman naptha stove in the photo has provided me with many memorable meals! In this case, after a day of paddling, Len checks things out as we settled for boiled potatoes and peas with fried onions and pork chops, washed down with some cold Moosehead beer! It doesn't have to be fancy to taste good.

Len preparing our meal
    • Adventure Travel

Compass Rose B&B: Seafood does not get any fresher

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 7, 2007

Although my wife and I really love staying and eating in B&Bs, the only one of the many located in NB we have stayed at was the Compass Rose on Grand Manan Island. When Sue's sister Pauline was with us for our 1995 trip, our single night on the island was spent there. We chose to relax after our whale watching excursion by dining in the restaurant located in our B&B lodgings. This seemed like a popular spot with tables scattered around in a very 'homey' atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: My wife's sister decided that this was the place for a fresh lobster roll, while my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our sole with fresh vegetables. A few glasses of wine also did not go amiss!

Home cooking

Pizza Delight: An eastern Canadian chain

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 6, 2007

It may be hard to believe, but back in the late 1960s and early 1970s when I had the chance to travel westward through Montreal, I was amazed to discover how delicious pizzas and submarine sandwiches were! Strange and exotic foods such as these had not yet made it into the conservative lands east of Quebec and Ontario! This trend began to be corrected in 1968 when the Pizza Delight franchise opened its first store in Shediac, outside Moncton, NB. Over the years it has grown to include more than 100 restaurants in seven Canadian provinces and has expanded beyond the initial pizza offerings to a more varied Italian menu.

This is just one of many different fast-food chains operating in New Brunswick, but is the one I normally choose when I want a quick 'Italian' fix!

Favorite Dish: Lately, when I am in Sussex I have been taking my mother out for the odd lunchtime meal at the local Pizza Delight. They have introduced a new 'starter' gimmick where you can choose (at no extra charge) from various types of thick bread slices, apply a jalapeno, garlic or whatever spread and then grill it yourself while you wait for your order to arrive. Menu items include pizzas, soups, sandwiches, panzarotti, donairs, chicken & ribs and pasta dishes. At lunchtimes, they also feature a buffet where you can choose however many slices of different types of pizzas, lasagnas, salads and breads you wish to enjoy. For beverages, Pizza Delight have the usual soft drinks, tea, coffee and juices as well as a good house wine and bottled beers. Their excellent food and service make this a very popular chain throughout eastern Canada.

An eastern Canadian favourite

45th Parallel Motel: Seafood

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 6, 2007

The 45th Parallel Restaurant/Motel seemed to be one of only a few places to eat on Deer Island and it looked like we picked a good one - listed in 'Where to Eat in Canada 2000'! It was mid-afternoon of our first day of our bicycle trip when Russ & I turned up wet and bedraggled from a little detour across 'Clam Creek' (see my 'Warnings' tips for the details), so we were in need of some good food. The restaurant is noted for its seafood, especially since it keeps the largest lobster found in Deer Island waters, Herman, in a glass tank situated in the middle of the eating area. At the end of the lobster season, Herman will be returned to his natural habitat and a replacement will be found again the following season. Maybe Herman and his buddy are a bit worried being displayed in a restaurant lobby, because they are already sporting the cooked 'reddish' look instead of the normal dark green colour of freshly caught lobsters! However, for the moment, just remove those rubber bands on his claws and this 14-pound (6.3-kg) heavyweight champion of Deer Island is ready to take on all comers!

Favorite Dish: Our first sampling of their food was excellent - Club Sandwiches with Fries washed down by cold Alpine and Blue beers. While eating, we had a good chat with a very fit looking young couple who had been biking for 8 days to make it this far from New York City. They were headed for Cape Breton Island on the tip of Nova Scotia but very sensibly planned to fly back from there! We mentioned that the Provincial Campground at New River Beach, NB would be a good target for them for the night.

After spending the rest of the afternoon and early evening enjoying the 'Old Sow' tidal whirlpool at the private campground on Deer Island Point, we returned to the 45th for our evening meal. It was very pleasant weather, so we sat outside on their deck enjoying excellent Fish 'n Chips with Coleslaw and Tartar Sauce (US$8) along with beers and Jost red wine from Nova Scotia (US$4 per drink). It was a perfect way to end the first day of our Summer 2006 bike trip!

'Herman' with a normal-sized lobster Excellent Fish 'n Chips on the deck
    • Cycling

Habitant Motel & Restaurant: A nice 'local' restaurant

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 5, 2007

My first experience with the Habitant was on the July, 2005 bicycle trip to Kouchibouguac NP with my buddy Russ. Both mornings before we set off for our day's biking activities, we fueled ourselves up with breakfast at our motel in Richibucto. Located in a bright room with nicely set-out tables, we opted for their breakfast buffet meal on both occasions. This consisted of your choice of scrambled eggs, home fried potatoes, beans, pancakes, bacon, sausages, toast, jam, orange juice and coffee or tea in any combination and amount that took your fancy. It was excellent food and we found that having a full stomach at the start of our biking day provided enough energy to keep us going without the need of another major meal until we returned in the evening. The service was effecient and friendly too! Total cost of the buffet, including taxes was C$6.40 (US$5).

This photo also shows the three flags common in this part of the province - the New Brunswick provincial flag on the left, Canadian flag at centre and Acadian right (the French tri-colour with a small yellow star in one corner).

Favorite Dish: When I returned to the Habitant 2 weeks later, with my wife on our own Kouchibouguac visit, we decided to give the restaurant a try on our Saturday night stop-over. We sauntered in just after 7 PM, and it seemed to be peak time, but we managed to find a table for two in this spot that seemed to have quite a reputation with the locals!

Our waitress mentioned that, if we wanted to partake of a bottle of wine, they had their own private cellars just below the seating area. We took her up on her offer to descend into the coolness of this room, where we were left to ourselves to select the bottle of our choice (2nd photo). They had a varied selection of wines from Australia, South Africa, Chile, Italy, United States, France and Canada and the prices were only a couple of dollars more than you would pay if buying them yourself - not the usual doubling of price when ordering a bottle from a restaurant. I was very impressed as we picked out our US$15 bottle of Italian Pasqua Pinot Grigio 2002.

For our meal, we decided to go for seafood, since they seemed to have a wide variety of choices. Sue selected the 'Habitant Ultimate', a filet of sole sauteed in a light batter with sliced almonds (US$12) while I decided to try their 'Seafood Brochette' (US$14) of lobster, scallops, shrimps, onions and peppers grilled on a stick. Both dishes came with a wedge of lemon, carrots, green & yellow string beans and rice pilaf. Sue's dish was one of the best we have tasted in some time but my Brochette was a trifle overcooked. Still, we had an amazing evening with no complaints - I recommend this spot!

Check-in & Restaurant area A fine bottle of Pinot Grigio
    • National/State Park

Cora's Breakfast & Lunch: An amazing breakfast experience

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 5, 2007

Cora's provides a unique eating experience, possibly only comparable to the 'Squat & Gobble' in San Francisco, based on our travels! The way the breakfast meals are presented, and served with panache, makes this a fantastic way to start your day. The small chain of Cora's restaurants originated in Quebec as a result of Cora Mussely Tsouflidou, from a modest family in the remote Gaspe peninsula (north of New Brunswick), being left on her own when her husband deserted her and their three children. She fought back and developed her own fame, as set forth in the piece below from Cora's website:

"After only a few months of operation, Cora transformed the little snack bar into a whole new breakfast concept in Quebec, which specialized in fruit, cheese, cereal, omelettes, pancakes, and French toast. Inspired by family traditions, customer requests and suggestions from her children, Cora created new breakfasts, which blended the best of traditional breakfasts with new health food trends. Over the years, Cora the kitchen magician improved upon her traditional breakfasts and conjured up more than 100 new ideas. These inventive new breakfasts were complemented by a colourful, child-like illustration on the walls of her Cote-Vertu snack bar. This playful imagery later became her signature logo in restaurants throughout her future chain."

Favorite Dish: With my canoeing buddy Len and his wife, Sue and I usually start off with one of Cora's 'smoothy' fruit cocktails served in a large glass. The combination varies, but on this day, ours had strawberry, pineapple, cranberry, mango and a few other fruits blended together. It is a thick and cold mixture that can hold a straw upright and is served with a fresh slice of pineapple on the rim with a slice of cantelope on the plate. There are all sorts of main meal choices, from traditional bacon/eggs, omelettes, many fruit based dishes and so on. There is something wrong with you if you can't find something fastastic for breakfast here!!

Cora's Ssdewalk seating on Queen St.

Asian Palace: Ahh - great East Indian food

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 5, 2007

On a July, 2004 day, my wife and I spent a relaxing July day in the Port City of Saint John as we decided to check out the latest cruise ship arrivals as well as the Reversing Falls. We just happened to be there at lunch, so we sat down outside at the dockside Market Square complex full of shops, restaurants and even the New Brunswick Museum! The old brick building that you see here, built in 1877 after the great Saint John fire, is typical of the older construction in the city. Like many other places, the downtown area has been extensively renovated to cater to the tourist crowd. We had a great time sitting there for our lunch, watching the antics of the tourists from the huge cruise ship that was docked only a few hundred feet away.

Favorite Dish: It had been 5 months since we last had a good feed of Indian food - while in England in February, 2004! On this day, we shared a couple of their Luncheon Specials - a Nawabi Salad at US$5 (mango, tomato, cucumber and red onion with roasted garlic and lemon dressing) and for US$6 the Murgh Mukhani or Butter Chicken ('served to the Mughal Kings, made of tender chicken simmered in a creamy butter gravy, with nuts, ginger and fenugreek'). We both really loved the Murgh Mukhani - amazing flavours! However, the salad seemed a trifle too sweet, I think the mango was too ripe or something. However, it was still quite edible! Altogether, with a tip and drinks about US$30.

Asian Palace patio

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Chez Riz: Pakistani/Indian Marvel !!

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 5, 2007

In late summer, 2005 a genuine Pakistani restaurant opened it's doors in Fredericton!! Wow, I thought, this will be a great chance for me to really sample some great curries and I certainly have not been disappointed. As it turned out, the owner and chef of this establishment, Rzwan-Ul-Haq, has a very fine pedigree earned from running a namesake restaurant in Montreal for 15 years. The quality of his preparations was so good that, once sampled by Pierre Elliot Trudeau, former Prime Minister of Canada, Mr. Trudeau was thenceforth a lifelong customer!

Favorite Dish: Mr. Riz is especially noted for his Tandoori Chicken so I had my mind fixed on that even before our first visit. The main menu of Chez Riz consists of a buffet meal (US$16) which consists of Tandoori Chicken with Fried Onions, Chicken Curry, Beef Curry, Nan Bread, Hot Peppers, Basmati Rice, a cooked vegetable mixture, homemade yogurt and a vast array of salad ingredients. Other than this, there are only a couple of Chef's Specials, one of which was a Mango Curry Chicken in a creamy sauce (US$12). These are the two dishes that my wife and I went for, accompanied by glasses of the house Australian wines (US$5/glass). I must say, it was a fantastic feast and I had to sample the Tandoori Chicken more than once - such an interesting flavour and not with the typical 'red' colour of other Tandoori meals that I have had. The decor was great, the staff were very friendly and efficient and Mr. Riz himself came out to chat to his customers. We have been back for more since that first visit!

As we begin our first feast! Main dining area - looking toward street

The Dip Pool Bar & Grill: Fredericton's best riverside location

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 5, 2007

The Delta Hotel (formerly the Sheraton) in Fredericton has a fantastic location on the south bank of the Saint John River. In addition to its first-class rooms and award-winning dining room, the hotel has an excellent outdoor swimming pool, bar and restaurant area. When British Royalty come to stay in Fredericton, they know enough to take over the top floor of this establishment (in my opinion, the classiest accoms in New Brunswick)! Ocean-going yachts and sailboats can navigate all the way up the river to Fredericton so, combined with the local wildlife and relaxing views, it does not get much better than this for chilling-out on a pleasant 25 C summer day!

Favorite Dish: My wife and I often come here for a late afternoon snack to go with our cold glasses of beer and wine or, when the weather is not cooperating, at their adjoining indoor DJ Purdy's Pub. On this particular July visit a couple of years ago, I tried the Dip's Teriyaki Salmon Wings (US$5) - sweet soya and garlic marinated salmon strips with deep fried wontons and Chinese fried garlic while Sue tried their Bruschetta Bruno (US$6) served with fresh herbs, tomatoes and mozzarella. Both dishes were absolutely amazing, such interesting flavours! It is so pleasant to sit outside at the Delta's Dip Poll and Bar Grill in the gentle breezes beside the wide river with its lush green trees growing all along its banks. Very often you will see possibly a Bald Eagle or a fish-hunting Osprey slowly patrolling the waters for a meal of its own!

Main outside entertainment area of the Delta Closer look at the outdoor patio seating Our view of Saint John River thru a Staghorn Sumac
    • Birdwatching

• Jefie's Profile Photo

L'Ordre du bon temps: Ever heard of "poutine rapee"?

by Jefie Written Feb 22, 2005

Located in the Pays de la Sagouine, this restaurant offers a large selection of traditional Acadian dishes, including the famous "poutine rapee" (which has nothing to do with Quebec poutine by the way). It's a buffet-style restaurant, and there's live traditional music (Monday to Saturday — 11:30 am to 2:00 pm).

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed the grated potato pancakes and the desserts!

• Museum Visits

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Chateau Albert Dining Room: Try some traditional Acadian dishes!

by Jefie Written Feb 22, 2005

Located in the Village Historique Acadien, the dining room of Chateau Albert offers a menu based on traditional Acadian cuisine of the 1900-1910 period. It's a great place to go for lunch (served from 11:00 am to 4:30 pm) during your visit of the Village and a nice way to complete your Acadian experience!

Favorite Dish: I think they change the menu from time to time but the pie was delicious!

Chateau Albert, Village Historique Acadien
    • Museum Visits

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Dixie Lee: My favorite spot for fried chicken!

by Jefie Written Feb 22, 2005

As far as I know, you only find Dixie Lee restaurants in eastern Quebec and the Maritimes. I don't particularly like fast food BUT I love Dixie Lee's fried chicken so if you're spending some time in New Brunswick and are looking for an unexpensive meal, this is the place to go! It's a lot different and much better, in my opinion, than KFC. Just a little tip: ask for white meat only - they'll charge you an extra but it's worth it.

Favorite Dish: I usually get the two-piece meal - it comes with fries, gravy and yummy coleslaw.

Dixie Lee's fried chicken

1 Review - 5 Photos
Woodstock Hotels
6 Hotels

Instant Answers: Province of New Brunswick

Comments

Province of New Brunswick Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Province of New Brunswick restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Province of New Brunswick sightseeing.
Map of Province of New Brunswick