Saint George Travel Guide

• Bonnie pours the first round of OJ at L'Etete.
    Bonnie pours the first round of OJ at...
  • One of the
    One of the "deerest" locals in Back...
  • Saint George

Saint George Highlights

• Pro
    850prc profile photo

850prc says…

A great location for exploring much of southern and coastal New Brunswick.

• Con
    850prc profile photo

850prc says…

It IS out in the middle of nowhere. (For US, this is also a "pro")

• In a nutshell

850prc says…

Friendly folks and a few good local seafood places. Truly a great place to spend your nights in New Brunswick.

Saint George Things to Do

New River Beach

by marcoparco Updated Apr 4, 2011

I was truly amazed by this place. It is a less renown Provincial park on the south coast of New-Brunswick. I didn't even know about it until my girlfriend told me about it. This park has a great beach,walking trails, a campground and just an overall relaxing atmosphere. A great place to chill out for the day or spend a few ngihts. (See travelogues for more pics).

$6/car/day

Camping:
    $21.50/day
    $24/day (with electricity)

One of the

by 850prc Written Nov 28, 2009

Whether you choose to do it on foot, or with a gentle drive - you should explore the roads and byways around St. George. If you're into peaceful scenery and the occasional close brush with wildlife, you'll enjoy looking the place over.

The beautiful little doe pictured below was take from Mascarene Road, maybe 1 km away from our bed and breakfast.

Falls

by marcoparco Written Jun 26, 2004

These falls are located right in the middle of St-George. They are not only falls but also a conservation location for fish. The guy we met there said that it is used to help migrate a sort of hareng which enabled them to reproduce.

Saint George Restaurants

The takeaway window over at Birch Grove 1 more image

by 850prc Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Birch Grove was another "local" recommendation we received from our B&B hostess, Deenie Wilson. It was another terrific local find, and we enjoyed our meal in Black's Harbour.

Basically, this is a family restaurant. It's got a little bit of "local diner" in their makeup and they also feature tasty homemade desserts of all kinds. As you'd guess - seafood is a big item on the menu, there were several choices. They also had staples such as meatloaf and fried chicken. They also have quite a few burger selections.

This restaurant is over in Black's Harbour, which was about 10 miles from St. George. It's not difficult to access from the TransCanada Route 1.

Favorite Dish: I had some (more) haddock on my visit to the Birch Grove. (I LOVE haddock - such a tasty fish when served hot and fresh)

Sara had a big bowl of the seafood chowder and Bonnie had a salad.

We all tried the soup of the day, which went by the banal title of "hamburger soup". While that name may put you off a bit, let me assure you.... it was darned good. The best way I'd describe it as a heart homemade soup, the kind of fill that would warm you up on a cold New Brunswick (or for that matter Florida) winter's afternoon. Lots of veggies and a thick, meaty broth. Very good.

We all tried the homemade cherry cheesecake - a good choice.

Comeau's Seafood Restaurant, Pennfield NB 2 more images

by 850prc Updated Nov 28, 2009

Comeau's Seafood restaurant is one of the places recommended to us by local innkeeper Deenie Wilson. She told us that they had excellent fresh seafood, prepared simply and served in bountiful quantities.

She was absolutely on point in every way. This is a friendly, simple little place where you can get yourself a nice fresh plate of clams, or scallops, or haddock, or whatever. The basic plan is to take the freshest seafood you'll find and then fry it to a golden brown, delivering it to the customer's table still sizzling. (Watch out, it's hot) Add some excellent french fries and some tasty cole slaw and voila.... you have a perfect night out in New Brunswick. Oh OK, if you're in need of serious five-star cuisine, place-settings with three or four forks and waiters in tuxedo, then.... Comeau "ain't" your place. But we're one of those families who appreciate the places that the locals love, and that is Comeau's in a nutshell.

Comeau's is technically NOT in St. George. It's out on the TransCanada Route 1, one stop east (back towards St John) of the NB 172 turnoff to St. George. The official "place" that Comeau's calls home is Pennfield, NB. From what I see, Pennfield consists of a couple of stores and a gas station. I didn't see a traffic light. :)

Allow me to quote someone from another site. This was written by a reviewer named Frank Bean over on the restaurantica.com website. Something tells me that Frank and I would click instantly, at least from a standpoint of good eating. :) Here's what he wrote...

"This is one of those mythical truck stop restaurants that actually exits. Don't let the exterior put you off. We stop every year on our trip to and from PEI vacation. Best fried clams I've had in over 30 years. Wife, mother-in-law-and daughter rave about fish & chips. Pies good. Pleasant staff."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks Frank. Hope our paths cross someday.

Favorite Dish: We all went local seafood, and here's what we had:

I went with a haddock + scallops plate, Sara had shrimp, and Bonnie chose a fish-burger. Bon's burger turned out to be more than she expected... I think she thought it would be a fish cake style offering, but basically it was a crusty bun with several pieces of sizzling fried fish within.

On accompaniments, we all did cole slaw (we love cole slaw). I also had chips - french fries to we Americans. And Sara went outside the box and had sweet potato fries.

We also sampled the local blueberry pie with ice cream - a simple pleasure and very tasty.

• Saint George Hotels

0 Hotels in Saint George

Saint George Warnings and Dangers

Looks closely for the Idiot

by marcoparco Written Jun 26, 2004

Don't be an idiot and climb near the falls!!!
    Look very close at the picture!!! (sorry about the bad quality, I had a fence to deal with)

Instant Answers: Saint George

Comments

Saint George Travel Guide
Map of Saint George