Saint John Restaurants

With my sister Pascale at Taco Pica!
  • Our delicious meal at the Lemongrass in Saint John
    Our delicious meal at the Lemongrass in...
  • Vito's Italian restaurant in Saint John, NB
    Vito's Italian restaurant in Saint John,...

Most Recent Restaurants in Saint John

Mediterranean Restaurant: Greek, Italian, and Canadian cuisine

The Mediterranean Restaurant

The Mediterranean Restaurant has been in the same location in Saint John since 1971.

The first time I ate there was over 20 yrs ago, but I recently had an opportunity to return there after all that time. The place underwent some major interior renovations in recent years, and it is a very nice place.

At one end of the building is the Blue Olive pub, where they have live entertainment on certain days of the week. When I was there with my wife during the middle of the week, there was a bowling crowd in the pub doing some celebrating, so it was a bit on the noisy side.

The restaurant's menus include breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as a kids menu. They also offer take-out and delivery. They don't open until late in the morning, so it isn't a very popular place as a breakfast spot.

The staff was friendly, polite, and attentive.

Favorite Dish: We had the Chicken Cacciatore, and the New York Striploin with brown rice. Both meals were good-sized portions, tasty, and arrived hot. Those, along with a drink each, cost us around CAD$40.00.

The price range of the dinner entrées was from just less than $11.00, to just under $18.00 for either the Seafood Platter, or the Roast Prime Rib of Beef. Most entrées were between $11. to $13. This was quite reasonable, when compared to some restaurants right downtown, where the same meals would likely cost $20.

Some of the other dinner meals they offer include broiled salmon, fried scallops, BBQ chicken, Chicken Souvlaki, Moussaka, steaks, stir-fry, ham, and pork chops. The lunch menu includes sandwiches such as a clubhouse, Souvlaki on pita, chicken rolls, and a variety of hot sandwiches.

Overall, my wife and I enjoyed our dining experience here, but if I'm going to deduct points, it will be for two reasons:
    1) there isn't much of a divider between the restaurant area and the pub area. If you're looking for a quiet dinner, you might be somewhat disappointed, depending on how busy the Blue Olive is;
    2) we found the washrooms were not well tended to. The sinks didn't look like they had been cleaned in hours, and it wasn't busy when we were there.

Romano's Pizza and Spaghetti House: Great place for pizza

Romano's Pizza and Sphaghetti House

As the name implies, a great place for pizza, spaghetti, or other Italian and Greek dishes.

Don't let the exterior appearance of Romano's fool you. A radio station call-in poll, done a number of years ago, found that Saint John-ers rated Romano's as the best place for pizza in the city. Two reasons were because of the amount of cheese they put on them, and the size of the slices ! Mmmm...

Have eaten here several times, and I would agree.

The diningroom is not very big, so when it's busy you might find it a bit "intimate". However, I believe the food is worth this slight inconvenience. We've never made a reservation before eating there, but you might consider making one.

Parking around the back of the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Their pizza, of course.

Reversing Falls Gardens: Overlooking the Reversing Falls Bridge

Reversing Falls Gardens Restaurant

A relatively recent arrival to the restaurant scene in Saint John is the Reversing Falls Gardens, which overlooks the Reversing Falls Bridge. You'll find it alongside the parking lot at the west end of the bridge.

The appetizers include Mussels, Shrimp, BBQ Chicken wings, and Feta Bruschetta.
    There are also three types of salads, and three soups/chowders.

I was there for dinner, on a weeknight, . The entrees ranged from $7.49 for a "BBQ BLT Superburger", to $16.99 for a 10oz New York Striploin, or boiled Lobster (at whatever the market price happens to be).

Other entrees included Broiled Salmon Fillets, Baked Ham, BBQ Chicken and Ribs,
    Salmon, four kinds of Souvlaki, and four pasta dishes.

It wasn't very busy the evening I went, and service was great.

They have indoor and outdoor seating areas.

Favorite Dish: I had the Ultimate Carbonera, which is pasta served with tiger shrimp, scallops, tomatoes, thinly-sliced carrots, all in a white Alfredo sauce and served with two slices of garlic bread, for $15.99.

It was delicious, and served hot.

• Rafting

• Vito's: Classic Saint John

by muzikman69 Written Mar 22, 2005

Vito's is a must stop for anyone coming to Saint John. The ceasar chicken, pizza, and pasta is excellant. Prices are very reasonable, and you will always leave satisified. Remember to try and save room for some of the cheese cake you will see when you first enter the building.

• Business Travel

• Reggie's: Breakfast Anyone?

by muzikman69 Written Mar 22, 2005

Reggie's is a small cafe which is located beside the city market at 26 Germain Street. This is a must stop for anyone coming to the city. The restaurant is very cultured and friendly, they even yell your name when your food is ready.

• BILLY'S SEAFOOD MARKET: DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

by bricks Written Jul 31, 2004

Easily the worst seafood experience I had in the Maritime Provinces, perhaps the worst ever. Unfortunately, Billy's Seafood Company was mentioned in most of the travel guides I read. My meal was overpriced and overcooked. We had tried to get a table before a comedy act the night before, but they were very busy, so we stopped after a trip up the coast...I truly wish we hadn't. The hyper waiter couldn't answer a simple question... what do you have for beer??..so we ended up with run of the mill pisswater beer. I'm not sure they served anything better. I ordered the Deep Sea platter and was looking forward to a fine meal, instead I got mostly french fries that were so overcooked as to be inedible, clams that were anything but "juicy" as advertised, and haddock fried inches away from incineration. The only redeeming feature of the meal was the Digby scallops which must have been cooked separately...they were quite nice. It was evident to me that the fryolator oil was past its sell by date, it's too bad the cook didn't notice.

My companion's meal, while digestible, was a disappointment. She found that the garlic in her seafood dish so overpowered the lobster, it might as well have been pollock.

I am from the New England seacoast and my meal would have been a hanging offense at home. Really, fried clams shouldn't snap like potato chips! I know now that I should have complained, instead of gamely trying to find something good about the meal...it doesn't always pay to be as polite as Canadians.

The irony is that the evening before we had a perfectly nice meal, complete with scallops and microbrewed beer at Tapps, a brewpub a block away. We spent a 3rd of the price of Billy's Seafood and actually enjoyed our meal. And our feet touched the floor. What's with the chairs anyway, Billy?

• Whale Watching
    • Gay and Lesbian
    • Women's Travel

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

The Riviera Restaurant,: It Might Not Be There Now!,

by Geoff_Wright Updated Apr 22, 2004

The Riviera Restaurant, Saint John. This was in 1965, yes 1965!!

Favorite Dish: According to the bill stub, two of us had a meal with bier and coffee, and icecream for C$5.20! What would that be now, I wonder? The meals were Roast Beef and Roast Chicken, together with potatoes and veg, I think.

• Suwanna Restaurant: Authentic Thai Cuisine with Great Desserts!

by BobStephen Written Jun 11, 2003

Lovely old home converted to restaurant has nice ambience with many corners for a romantic dinner. Tables have linen tablecloths and napkins. Staff courteous and friendly. Food superb with many excellent dishes. Desserts are wonderful and worth the splurge!

Favorite Dish: Suwanna chicken, sweet & sour shrimp, all stir fry dishes, chicken satay, Thai salad, lemon chicken, all curry dishes, ... basically everything!

• Business Travel

• Taco Pica: One of Saint John's BEST Restaurants!

Taco Pica Saint John

The eclectic dining room and ethnic music add to the superior food in this Guatemalan restaurant. All dishes are excellent with the chicken flautas being an especially popular dish. The staff are friendly and the prices are very reasonable for the quality of food and service. Do not miss this wonderful dining experience!

Favorite Dish: The chicken flautas with rice, beans and salad is excellent - if you are really hungry go for the two-flauta dish :o)

• Business Travel

• Ming's Restaurant: Do not recommend!

Ming's Restaurant Saint John

Heard great things but sorely disappointed! Do NOT recommend - one diner's sauce tasted horrible and waitress said it was from a can. The owner refused to refund the cost of the meal even though customer could not eat it. If you want bland, canned Chinese food that claims to be homemade and a rude owener who does not care what his customer's think - he told us not to come back when we complained - this is the place!

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

Riviera Restaurant: Now to pay the bill!!

by Geoff_Wright Updated Apr 22, 2004

Now to pay the bill!! Thats $4.80 change please! (But what about a tip?)

A number of Canadians have told me that my $C 10 bills are collector's items now, haha.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Taco Pica: Looking for something a little spicy...

by Cabana_Boy Updated Apr 24, 2003

Taco Pica on Germain St., Saint John, NB

Looking for something a little spicy, head up Germain Street to Taco Pica for some Guatemalan or Mexican food.

Instant Answers: Saint John

Comments

Saint John Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Saint John restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint John sightseeing.