Shediac Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Shediac

• planxty's Profile Photo

What a venue for a drink

by planxty Written Mar 16, 2015

Whilst travelling along Highway 15 we decided on a whim to take a short detour and go to have a look at Cap Pele Harbour which sits a couple of miles off the main road and what a good decision that turned out to be. Having parked up beside the beautiful harbour which is obviously still very much a functioning place, wandered around a little and admired the view, my companion decided that she wanted a little doze in the RV. That is no problem as the poor lady had to do all the driving and deserved it but I was happy enough as I had seen the sign I wanted to see - BAR!

The name of the premises was l'Aboiteau which I have subsequently discovered means "a dyke with a sluicegate that allows flood water to drain but keeps the sea water out " and makes absolute sense here. This is an Acadian region therefore French speaking and the Acadians were noted for their ability to "control" water by sluices, dykes and the like. I should say that whilst there was a lot of French being spoken around me that the several people I chatted to were all good enough to indulge me by speaking English as my French is rudimentary to say the least. Such is the unfailing hospitality and civility of people in this region.

The young lady behind the bar was similarly delightful and promptly served me a beer whereupon had a look round to take in the views which were beautiful. The fishing fleet were tied up in the harbour and, as the bar is actually basically a hut set on top of the roof of a fish warehouse the views out over the sea were delightful as well. Although there was a bit of a breeze blowing, it was not chilly and was very pleasant. The bar doubles as a restaurant with the fish and shellfish coming from the shop downstairs (see separate tip) and although I did not eat it all looked delightful.

If you want to try something a little different you may want to have a go at the signature drink here which is a "Crabby Caesar". Before I went to Canada I had never heard of a Ceasar and for those in the same position I shall explain. It is basically a Bloody Mary with the tomato juice replaced by a drink called Clamato which is effectively tomato juice mixed with clam juice as the name suggests. Presumably you can see where this is going now. Yes, you guessed it, they put crab in it and it seemed to be a very popular choice. I really should have tried one but I rarely drink spirits.

The pleasures of the afternoon were not over yet as the next thing I noticed was a guy dragging a bit of a PA and a guitar case etc. up the stairs which I didn't envy him having done a bit of roadie work myself. He set up and proceeded to entertain us with an excellent set which was a mixture of "troubadour" standards, many of which I do myself, and a few I hadn't heard before. He really was rather good.

I should mention that this bar is seasonal and I really would not fancy sitting up there in the teeth of a howling winter gale but if you are lucky enough to visit this place in season then I really do suggest you stop off for a drink and / or a bite to eat.

Recommended.

l'Aboiteau Bar, Cap-Pele, Canada. l'Aboiteau Bar, Cap-Pele, Canada. l'Aboiteau Bar, Cap-Pele, Canada. l'Aboiteau Bar, Cap-Pele, Canada. l'Aboiteau Bar, Cap-Pele, Canada.
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Giant Lobster

by cpm440vee Updated Apr 4, 2011

The main attraction in Shediac is the giant lobster statue. You can climb it and ride it if you want but just don't fall off. I saw lots of parents yelling at their kids to be careful. Recently, this statue even made it to a GM car commercial along with a number of other large statues in Canada. Stop by the gift shops beside the statue. One was even selling oversized lobster slippers.

The Giant Lobster in Shediac

Sandspit

by marcoparco Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sandspit is more of a kids destination as it is a small place with carnival activities. However me and my friends are still kids at heart and we love to go on the Go-Karts. They also have water bumpers, mini-golf, arcades....

Sandspit

Worlds biggest Lobster

by marcoparco Updated Aug 9, 2004

Shediac is home to the worlds biggest lobster and is considered the lobster capital of the world.
    Tourists seem to love to visit this monument. More conveniently it is located just beside the tourism office!

The big lobster

Go biking!!!

by marcoparco Written Aug 3, 2004

Shediac is small enough that you can get pretty much anywhere on your bike. So take a bike ride and go explore!!! It seems that every time I go to Shediac I do over 30 Kms of biking. During My trip in July/August I brought my bike which was orignaly worth $1200. It was halarious since my friend was stuck riding beside me with the good old supercycle from the 1800's!!! hehehehehe!!

Julien ridin' the classic

• marcoparco's Profile Photo

Take a drive to see cottages

by marcoparco Written Aug 3, 2004

Like previously mentioned, Shediac seems to be attracting some very wealthy people. A few that I know of include the hockey legend Rollie Melanson and the current major league baseball player, Real Cormier. Shediac is fairly small and it does not take much effort to find the big Mansions.
    Here is one of the nicest I found. A massive lot with a massive house. Did I mention he also has his own private dock for his boat in back!!!

Nice shack!

Acadian Entertainment

by marcoparco Written Aug 3, 2004

The Acadian culture is very different and I have yet to see anything that compares to it. I am proud to call myself an Acadian!

When I was last in Shediac at the end of July and start of August, there was one of the biggest concert of the year taking place there. The concert consisted of Cayouche (a comedian/bum type singer), 1755 (a classic acadian band) and Wilfred Leboutelier (who recently won a Canandian Idol type search across Canada for the best french singer).
    The concert was simply amazing!
    Boy do Acadians know how to party!!!

Setting up for the big night!

Hotel Shediac

by marcoparco Written Aug 3, 2004

The Hotel Shediac, as you can see, is an old historic Hotel. Unfortunately since May/02 it has been closed. The place is getting somewhat rundown which is pretty discouraging. It would be a great restoration project but I can only imagine how much that would cost.

Old Shediac Hotel

by marcoparco Updated Aug 3, 2004

Parlee Beach is known to have some of the warmest waters north of Virginia. It is a well known beach in New-brunswick and across eastern Canada. It is also one of the many provincial parks located in New-Brunswick. The daily fee is 8$ per car.

*********There is a way to enter the beach for free and it is completly "legal". If you continue east on the Maine road and don't turn into the Parlee beach entrance, about 200 metres down the road you will find a road to the left where the Parlee beach Campground is located. Also located just beside it is a big field with picnic tables. This opens in early morning and closes at 9pm. If you wish you can park your car here all day and just walk down the road to parlee beach. It is about a 10 minute walk but you get to see lots of lovely little cottages on the way.

Drive in theater

by marcoparco Written Jul 26, 2004

The Neptune drive in, gives you the opportunity to go back in the past and watch a drive in movie. The drive in itself is well kept and houses washrooms and a canteen! I was also impressed by the quality of the movie on the board. Usually the drive in shows two movies. The price for one adult is 7$. We saw Spiderman 2 and White Chicks.

The drive in in Shediac is very popular with the tourists, so get your spot early. They recommend to come 2 hours early to get a good spot. We took this advice, parked our car and walked back to the campground.

Our spot

Sunset

by marcoparco Written May 24, 2004

Take a walk down to the beach to admire the beautiful sunset over the horizon. If your lucky like we were and go at the right time during the year you will be one of the few people on the beach.....Breathtaking....

Sunset

Hot Wheels!!

by marcoparco Written Aug 3, 2004

Simply put......there are some amazing cars in Shediac during the summer. Shediac seems to be attracting some very well off travelers!!! A quick example is this older Ford Cobra 427.

Ford Cobra 427

• Lisser's Profile Photo

by Lisser Written Aug 25, 2002

This beach boasts miles of golden sand, the warmest waters north of Virginia, ample parking and supervised swimming.

Instant Answers: Shediac

Comments

Shediac Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Shediac things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Shediac sightseeing.