Island of Newfoundland Nightlife

• The Screech and for some reason, luncheon meat
    The Screech and for some reason,...
  • Our screech in-er I think his name was Keith
    Our screech in-er I think his name was...

Most Recent Nightlife in Island of Newfoundland

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

George Street: Famous George Street

by jamiesno Updated Feb 24, 2010

Me on George Street, St. John's

You will find travelling throughout Newfoundland that most small towns might have one bar or a small lounge or a community hall that people drink in.

From my experience some of them can be a little smokey but good times are had by all usually!

If you are into lots and lots of nightlife, the provincial capital of Newfoundland has arguably the best in the world on George Street.

There is literally hundreds of bars side by side and it is usually always very very busy!

On my St. John's page I have a whole lot more on many of the bars that I know there :-)

• kiwi78's Profile Photo

All Nighters

by kiwi78 Written Nov 28, 2006
    Getting screeched in

The main bar area in St. John's is nice and compact, which allows for easy stumbling from bar to bar. The one thing we noticed while there was that nothing really gets started until at least midnight, if you go out earlier, you'll wonder why it is so quiet. So it pays to have a nap in the afternoon so you can keep up with the Newfies (good luck with that!). We did the typical tourist thing and got 'screeched in' which is a ceremony that has you singing, kissing a cod and drinking screech, which is a type of rum which you can read about here:
    This was well worth the money for the entertainment that the guy (dressed in a fisherman's outfit) put on. I can't remember the name of the bar that we went to, but if I do I'll update this.

Dress Code: Casual

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• kiwi78's Profile Photo

All Nighters

by kiwi78 Written Nov 28, 2006

Dress Code: Casual

Instant Answers: Island of Newfoundland

Comments

Island of Newfoundland Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Island of Newfoundland nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Island of Newfoundland sightseeing.

View all Island of Newfoundland hotels