Safety Tips in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador

Close Up of St. John's Harbour

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Province of Newfoundland and Labrador

Royal Canadian Mountain Police, No 911 Service

by jamiesno Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you see men dressed like this in Labrador and Newfoundland they are members of the local Royal Canadian Mountain Police. At all cost run and avoid talking to these people. They are corrupt and similar to Mexico you could be black mailed into giving up your valuables. JUST KIDDING, I AM JOKING AROUND!

The point of this tip is to just say there is no 911 service throughout Labrador. Some people have become very accustomed to simply dialing 911. It's not going to work here if you are out camping or even in any of the communities.

So if you are planning another extravagant adventures or need help its a good idea to have the telephone number for the closest detachment especially if some sort of emergancy should arise like on any travel.

I provided a link here that has a telephone number for all of the detachments in Labrador and Newfoundland.

RCMP Officers

Polar Bears!

by jamiesno Updated Feb 24, 2010

If you are planning an outdoor excursion in Labrador you probably already know that polar bears do visit the area. The further north you go in Labrador the more common and more likely they are to encounter.

This picture was taken by some friends north of Nain. I put this tip under warning and dangers but if you are fortunate enough to come across these amazing animals be sure to take some great pictures!

Polar Bears in Northern Labrador

Black Bears!

by jamiesno Updated Feb 24, 2010

All throughout Labrador black bears are common and normal precautions should be taken if berry picking or exploring the woods alone.

They are most commonly seen in nearly all the communities at the local dump sites where the bears are trying to find an easy lunch. Often local residents will also flock to these areas to catch a glimpse of the bears.

I would highly recommend that you stay in your vehicle if you give this a try. I have seen some very huge bears at the Happy Valley - Goose Bay dump and it seems some people are starting to get to comfortable with their presence, a bear is a bear!!!!

Fat Bear at Natuashish Dump.

• Suzanne123's Profile Photo

Gale Force Winds

by Suzanne123 Written Oct 29, 2008

Tour boats go out regardless but might turn back early rather than to cancel the trip. Nothing stops those passenger ferry boats either so you might want to delay your crossing for a less choppy day. Windy days can easily blow over a 35lb child and you might find it difficult to open store doors like I did.

Weather patterns that cause the US and the rest of Canada to have advisories don't raise any eyebrows for Nfld'ers. Be prepared by looking out for storm warnings yourself. Check the Environment Canada website.
    www.ec.gc.ca

So "blow me away"

• Non-white Tourists Be Prepared to Get Stared At

by pulaupulau Written Jun 10, 2007

I'm of Malaysian Chinese descent and travelled to Newfoundland at the end of May 2007 together with my family. We visited Gros Morne, L'Anse Aux Meadows and St. John's. Almost everywhere we went, including eating at restaurants, we got stared out. The stares we got were quite intense and made my parents including myself very uncomfortable. We wondered if children are even taught that staring is rude because when they stared at us, their parents didn't stop them and actually joined them in staring at us.

We did not have this problem in St. John's maybe because it's a larger city and the citizens are more educated. However, in St. John's we experienced another type of discrimination. We were waiting at a restaurant to be seated but no wait staff approached us. This may have been an isolated incident but upset us just as well.

I heard so much about the friendliness of Newfoundland but sadly my own experience proved that to be false.

So if you're a visible minority and plan to visit beautiful Newfoundland (landscape wise), be prepared.

Coach bus & ferry schedule

by victorwkf Updated Mar 5, 2006

Because Newfoundland is rather remote, there is very limited coach bus service going around the island, as well as ferry from Nova Scotia and Labrador. Usually, there is only one bus per day, and the schedules of buses from different routes sometime do not coordinate well. This could mean long waiting or you need to stay at some towns for one day. Therefore, you need to plan well before going to Newfoundland. I have some transportation tips on this VT page which might be of some help to you.

DRL Coachlines, Newfoundland Viking Express Bus, Newfoundland Marine Atlantic Ship, Newfoundland
    • Business Travel

Hiking in Newfoundland

by victorwkf Written Mar 3, 2006

Newfoundland is remote with very few people, so do be careful when hiking or climbing. To be safe, always hike along the marked trails and try not to wonder off, especially in places like Gros Morne National Park. Also you need to know what to do when encountering wild animals such as brown bears, moose, caribou etc. In addition, be prepared for the unpredictable weather and strong winds.

• Mountain Climbing

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Fog, wind, rain and snow

by victorwkf Written Mar 3, 2006

Because of the Atlantic Ocean and Newfoundland is an island, the weather there is very unpredictable. There is constant fog, especially at places such as the Avalon Peninsula which is facing the Atlantic Ocean. Also, the wind can be very strong and cold, so do be prepared. There are many rainy days during the summer months, and snowfall usually starts from mid to late December.

Foggy day at St John's, Newfoundland

• MarieChristine's Profile Photo

Watch The Moose

by MarieChristine Updated Feb 10, 2006

There are about 110.000 moose on the island and most highways go through good moose habitat. I would really recommend not to drive at night as most accidents happen between dusk and dawn. If you must then drive slow because they are everywhere and it can often be foggy too so be careful!

Gros Morne
    • Seniors

• tvor's Profile Photo

Mind the Moose

by tvor Written Jun 23, 2005

A very real danger when driving the dark highways around the province is moose. The moose may wander across the highways and believe me, in an argument between a car and a 2000 pound male moose, the car looses. There have been lots of fatal accidents involving these huge gentle animals so take care when driving at night especially.

Wolves

by jamiesno Written Oct 3, 2004

I have to say in September 2004 I had one of my most memorable experiences driving the Trans - Labrador Highway.

Just a few short kilometers outside of Churchill Falls, I could literally see dozens of eyes up ahead on the road.

It was a pack of wolves. I quickly slowed down and then came to a complete stop. This was at night and the moon was full and a very bright redish yellow color.

My own dog was wimpering in the back seat, when all of a sudden these wolves in the picture starting houling!!

It was to spooking. While they got off the road and went to a road side bank, my curiousity got to me, I tried to get some great pictures, but as you can see my camera isn't the greatest.

Very quickly one wolf, presumably the leader of the pack left the hill and came right back down to road side where he starred us down in the car.

I have to admit at the point, I was just happy the car went into drive and we proceeded on to Churchill Falls.

My advice to you is, don't get out of your car if you come upon a pack of wolves. It's probably not even a good idea to do what I did and stop. Just keep on moving.

There have been stories of wolves with rabbies attacking vehicles. Just another short distance up the road we then saw a fox.

It's amazing what come out on this road in the night time!

Pack of Wolves!
    • Photography

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Steep cliffs and strong currents

by victorwkf Written Mar 3, 2006

The offshore currents at Newfoundland are very strong and the cliffs at some areas are very steep so be careful, especially on a windy and/or rainy day.

Gulf of St Lawrence, Newfoundland
    • Beaches

Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Hotels

• Murray Premises Hotel

The Murray Premises is one place in St. John's I had always wondered about after trying a couple of...

• Glynmill Inn

?? I don't know, my place is only 5 minutes away from here. Early in the 1920's Armstrong-Whitworth...

• Comfort Inn Gander

Mount Pearl Park Hotels
Marystown Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Province of Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Province of Newfoundland and Labrador warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Province of Newfoundland and Labrador sightseeing.
Map of Province of Newfoundland and Labrador