Cape Breton Island Restaurants

by Aafia

Best Rated Restaurants in Cape Breton Island

Lobster Galley: Award winning restaurant

by Aafia Written Apr 30, 2006

The first thing that strikes you when you enter this restaurant is the beautiful view of St. Ann's harbour. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The restaurant also has a little nook where you can buy Cape Breton memorabilia.

Favorite Dish: All seafood dishes were excellent.

Lobster Galley on left hand side.
    • Hiking and Walking

• Aafia's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's - St Peter's: Come for the view!

by Aafia Updated Jun 18, 2006

Why would I be suggesting a Tim Horton's as a place to stop and eat? If you've been in one, you've been in them all, so you know yourself whether you like their fare or not. Well, it's because the view from this Tim Horton's is probably the most beautiful in all of Canada. In fact, I challenge anyone to find a Tim Horton's with a better view. Check out the second picture for the view.

Favorite Dish: A double double, of course.

Tim Horton's - St Peter's Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean

Baddeck Lobster Suppers: Lobster Suppers in Friendly Atmosphere

by Aafia Updated Jul 10, 2007

For those of you whose Maritime experience would be incomplete without a lobster supper, here is a great place that overlooks the Bras d'Or Lakes, where you can dine in the very casual atmosphere in which lobster was meant to be enjoyed.

You start out with all the fresh seafood chowder you would like. At the same time you are served a huge bucket of steamed mussels. Then it's lobster time. There are alternate choices such as salmon, planked salmon and ham. You can watch the planked salmon being cooked outside by the cook house if you'd like. Dessert selections include pies, crumbles and strawberry shortcake.

Lunch is served between 11:30 and 1:30. The lunch menu is different than the dinner menu described above and includes soups, chowders, salad platters and the like. Prices range from $5.00 to $10.00.
    Dinner is served between 4:00pm and 9:00pm.

The staff is friendly and attentive.

Favorite Dish: The sweet and tender lobster meat from our icy cold waters of the Atlantic.

Baddeck Lobster Suppers Throw your shells in the bucket. Planked salmon being prepared

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Trout Brook Pullout: Picnic Pullouts over the best views....

by richiecdisc Written Nov 25, 2003

Why eat at your campground when you can enjoy the best view in the park? We found that by carrying our stove with us, we could eat when we wanted and better yet, wherever looked the best. This was Trout Lake Picnic Pullout and had a convenient picnic table and even running water. We enjoyed great light on the coastal hills and one of the most memorable sunsets we had on the entire trip.

Favorite Dish: With some olive oil, garlic powder, dried chillis and sweet basil, you can make a great gravy (sauce to you non-eastcoast non-Italian Americans) with just a can of tomatos and add beans, tuna or lentils for protein and variety. Pour if over pasta ....paradise in paradise.

sunset dinner on Cape Breton
    • Camping

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

The Chowder House: a real local kind of place...

by richiecdisc Written Nov 25, 2003

This was a real find. D had spotted a lighthouse on the map at Neil's Harbor Point so we went over to see that and were happily surprised to find this great rustic seafood house. It was a great old wooden shack kind of place right next to the lighthouse and on a bluff overlooking a feisty Atantic Ocean. The inside was a sparten but charming little place where you ordered from the menu up front and they called you when your food was ready.

Favorite Dish: We had two good sized bowls of seafood chowder that was out of this world. It was just FULL of lobster, shrimp, clams and fish parts, all in a creamy buttery broth. We split a big order of clam strips with fries too. Though it was only breakfast time, we deserved the big feed after walking ten miles and 1500 feet up from Fishing Cover campground!

seafood stew

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Me & the Mrs.: Simple Home-Cooking!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Dec 29, 2003

The further I progressed northward along the coast, I realized that the tiny communities located in this remote part of the Island had little or no amenities to offer the traveller. There were no gas stations or stores and only two roadside snack bars (built into old trucks) that were closed for the season. By the time I had made it as far north as almost Louisbourg, then cut across country to avoid Sydney and swing back down along the east side of Bras d'Or Lake, I was starting to get very hungry! Suddenly, halfway down East Bay, at Ben Eoin, I came across this tiny roadside eatery - and it was open (Dec. 24th is not a good time to find places to stop!).

Favorite Dish: I strolled in to find the chief cook and dishwasher sitting at one of the tables in the small back-room, with one of her grown sons standing by. I asked if the kitchen was open and she said, "no problem - the menu is behind you". I decided to keep it simple and ordered a toasted BLT sandwich and a glass of water. I sat by myself as their only customer in a very cosy little room full of pre-set dinner places and with all sorts of joke cards plastered around the walls - giving me a good chuckle while I waited. The man about the place soon appeared and we had a conversation about where I was from, the state of the roads and the weather while I passed the time. The sandwich was not long appearing and it really was juicey and delicious! As I paid up, I complimented her on the meal and said that she would be getting a good recommendation! US$5 including taxes.

Roadside Restaurant/Store

The Bell Buoy: Try the fresh catch

by easterntrekker Written Oct 16, 2006

It is located right on the main steet in Baddeck overlooking the wharf. The Bell Buoy has been around for many years and is a favorite with locals and tourists. The service can be slow ...but the food is usually pretty good.

Favorite Dish: The seafood....you can't go wrong.

• Business Travel

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

MOUNTAIN VIEW MOTEL & RESTAURANT: PLEASANT BAY MOTEL/RESTAURANT

by LoriPori Written Oct 2, 2012

As we were staying overnight at the MOUNTAIN VIEW MOTEL & RESTAURANT it was also convenient to have dinner there also.
    The restaurant was plain but cozy and our waitress was very friendly. Hans had the hot roast beef sandwich ($7.95) and I had the special of the day which was spaghetti and meat sauce ($9.95) which was delicious.

Mountain View Motel & Restaurant

The Grubstake Restaurant: A Louisburg Restaurant

by easterntrekker Updated Nov 24, 2007

This place has been around for over thirty years and is still offering pretty good food. You can get a lobster or a steak here if you're in the mood or for lunch they have some nice wraps.

prices are a little high for a small town with the wraps at about $13.00 and steaks $26.00 but this is a touristy area!

• Singles

• nhicks603's Profile Photo

Admiral Tavern @ Port Hood: Eat early in Cape Breton-side walks roll up!

by nhicks603 Updated Jun 5, 2008

Gas is more expensive in Canada. There are not a lot of restaurants in Cape Breton - but if you drive the Cabot Trail all the towns have something to offer, however modest. Beware, the sidewalks roll up early everywhere. If you take the Caileigh trail, there's the Manatoo and Admiral Tavern in Port Hood, The Red Shoe in Mabou (local music too!) and the Hof in Inverness. After that Margaree and Cheticamp. Just try to get dinner before 7PM. The Cabot Trail is one of the most beautiful rides I've ever taken. The Gulf of St Laurence side is all steep mountains plunging to the sea, the Atlantic side is like 1950's Maine - beautiful and sparcely populated. Bras d'Ore lakes is magnificent. I've never been to Sydney or Glace Bay - old Mining communities and more populace. I plan on visiting Louisburg this summer. Port Hood has Chestico days 1st week of August. We rent a place every year and bring a propane cooker and a big pot. We buy seafood from the local Caleigh (fish co-op) and cook it our selves. Hope you make it up there - a long ride from NJ but worth it.

Favorite Dish: Admiral Tavern - the wings. What's with Wings in Cape Breton? Every local taven has a wings night. Some of the community centers have them too. ??? Anyway, they're buffalo wings - deep fried and plied with mild sauce. This is Canada - black pepper is spicy to them!!

After 7, all you can get is bags of snacks and beer. Outside tables available in season. Say hi to Katrina the bar maid/proprietress.

• Yumlogger's Profile Photo

The Chowder House: Great Tasting Food

by Yumlogger Written May 28, 2006

This is my favorite resturant of all time. It serves hamburgers, hot dogs, seafood, sandwiches, chicken, and a bunch of other great tasting items. I Recommend you go here and try it. Prices are great and you do get a good size meal.

Favorite Dish: Club House Sandwich is my favorite dish. It is made on white bread with lettuse tomato, baccon, etc, like a regular club house but the taste is to die for. It is served with a side of fries which are a great side dish.

Joe's Warehouse: A Sydney landmark

by easterntrekker Updated Aug 4, 2007

This popular restaurant has been around for at least 25 years. I remember it was always the special spot to go for a birthday . I still love it . The service is always friendly and the seafood is fresh and good.

• Business Travel

• Me and the Mrs.: The owners

by Macbirt Written Dec 25, 2007

The owners are my step daughter's grandparents, Dawn and Ronny MacDonald. They are very nice and they will help you with anything they can.
    In the summer they also have some roadside activities like a mini golf course and a small ice cream shack. Tell them Bob and Debbie "Who" from Rockland sent you. Their granddaughter Chrissy says to ask to try their poutines, a local favorite, made with french fries cheese and gravy.

Favorite Dish: Poutines.

• Teh Bell Buoy: Fantastic

by KathyMarzin Written Aug 6, 2009

This is the first time in a restaurant where I have called the chef over to tell him how good my dinner was. I ordered the panfried haddock which was absolutely FABULOUS. The fresh baked buns were out of this world. 14 nights away from home; 14 dinners out; this was my favorite by far. Everyone was friendly, the prices were reasonable and I felt great after my meal.

Favorite Dish: Panfried haddock - lightly coated and fried but not greasy. I was disappointed when I came to the last bite.

• All Star Grille: Eating and Gambling

by HIPPYCHICKALI Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is located within Casino Nova Scotia in Sydney at Centre 200. You must be over 19 to enter the premise. The food here is awesome. There's a variety but the main focus is pasta and seafood. As well, the have the typical pub fare. There is a great selection of deserts, as well.

The Casino gives it a bit of a classy feel and it is, of course, licensed.

Favorite Dish: Any of the pasta dishes are delicious. I enjoy the Tomato and Basil Linguine with shrimp. Make sure you ask for parmesan cheese.

• Casino and Gambling

Instant Answers: Cape Breton Island

Comments

Cape Breton Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cape Breton Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cape Breton Island sightseeing.

View all Cape Breton Island hotels