Chester Things to Do

The Rope Loft
    by RavensWing
    Rope Loft pub, Chester, Canada.
    by planxty
    Rope Loft pub, Chester, Canada.
    by planxty

Most Recent Things to Do in Chester

• planxty's Profile Photo

Oldest of it's kind and very good.

by planxty Written Oct 13, 2014

I am not being unkind to Chester when I describe it as not being the biggest place I visited in Canada and so it was a great delight to me to discover not one but two absolutely excellent pubs, one of which was the Fo'c'sle. I visited there by myself initially as my travelling companion had gone for a nap as she was tired although it says something about the hospitality of the place that she had to come and drag me out eventually.

This establishment describes itself as the oldest rural pub in Nova Scotia, dating to c. 1764 and whilst it looks "olde worlde" it is not excessively so and has obviously been sympathetically restored relativel recently. None of this detracts from the atmosphere which is excellent. The premises is effectively divided in two with a restaurant area to the front and a bar area to the back. As I was not dining I headed left and planked myself down on a barstool. The extremely friendly lady behind the bar duly rhymed off the beers on offer and I plumped for a pint of the red, very good it was too, well-kept.

No sooner had the pint been placed in front of me that I was engaged in conversation by two late middle aged men also sitting there and this is where this place really scores. It is very obviously a locals place with the restaurant for more for day trippers and the bar for people that are obviously regulars. Locals seem to order takeaway food to go home with. Having never been in the town in my life I was made to feel instantly welcome and this is one of the marks of a good establishment for me.

A small anecdote here may give the reader some idea of how genuinely friendly this establishment is. It transpired that one of my two new mates had a birthday that day and he and his friend were going for a round of golf at the local club. They enquired if I played and I informed them I hadn't swung a club for over 20 years but they said that didn't matter and offered to borrow a set from another friend for me if I wanted to go out for a round with them. I politely declined, explaining I had to get back on the road but it was indicative of the genuine welcome you get not only here specifically but all over Nova Scotia, they really are great people.

Although I did not dine, I had a look at the menu which seemed pretty extensive with an understandable emphasis on seafood given the proximity to the sea. Prices appeared about normal for the area, possibly just a shade higher.

Another thing that immediatley caught my eye was the amount of musical instruments, PA equipment etc. sitting stowed about the place. There were also a number of posters for forthcoming musical events and it appears that this is the music venue for the town. A conversation with the barmaid yielded another invitation, this time to sit in at the weekly jam session. Again, I had to politely decline although I could happily have sat around that pub for a few days waiting for gig night to come along, it is that kind of place.

The weather wasn't bad and they do have a nice little decking area out the back (although the view isn't much, just the back entrance to the premises) but it was a nice place to sit with your drink and have a chat. To summarise, this is a great friendly pub / restaurant and I do recommend it highly.

Fo'c'sle pub, Chester, Canada. Fo'c'sle pub, Chester, Canada. Fo'c'sle pub, Chester, Canada. Fo'c'sle pub, Chester, Canada.
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• planxty's Profile Photo

Great pub with a great view.

by planxty Written Oct 9, 2014

I have mentioned in my introduction page to Chester that myself and VT member RavensWing spent some time in the summer of 2014 driving a rather decrepit old campervan (RV) round the Maritime Provinces of Canada. We drifted into Chester more or less by accident, found a parking space and went for a bit of a walk. Well, the walking made me a bit thirsty as it tends to do and so we dropped into the Rope Loft pub down by the waterfront for a quick one, and what an excellent choice that turned out to be.

The premises start off from a base position of having a simply delightful aspect looking out over the harbour / cove / inlet or whatever it is technically called. Basically a decent sized lump of water out the back where you can sit and watch boaters come and go and small craft at anchor bobbing gently on the very slight swell there was that day. I suspect the word idyllic was probably coined for a place like this. There is a lovely deck area where you can sit and watch the nautical comings and goings and I do commend it to you if the weather is favourable as it certainly was that day, even if a touch overcast.

The building itself boasts a bit of history having reputedly been fashioned from the timbers of the privateer (pirate!) ship Teaser and apparently known to the locals as the "Old Wharf".. It is very sympathetically done and whilst it retains an old feel it is clean and modern in it's facilities. It is just a little odd to think that you are sitting in the remains of a pirate ship with your lunchtime pint. How good can that be?

Well, this is all well and good but a place is only as good as what it serves and how the staff are but the Rope Loft has no worries on either front. The staff, although obviously busy enough on a summer lunch service, were friendly to a fault and when I enquired what I might like to drink I was pointed in the direction of "Shock Top", a locally produced wheat beer which, despite the slightly garish branding and orange slice on the glass (absolutely appropriate but not my normal style of drinking) was very palatable indeed, and obviously well-kept and served.

It appeared that most people had come there to dine although we did not (I had culinary plans for later!) but a quick look at the menu suggested all the local Nova Scotian favourites with a very understandable emphasis on local seafood plus a few little kickers to keep it interesting.

Simply put, this is just a great pub / restaurant in a wonderful location boasting friendly staff and decently kept beer. I don't think you could ask for much more really.

Recommended.

Rope Loft pub, Chester, Canada. Rope Loft pub, Chester, Canada. Rope Loft pub, Chester, Canada. Rope Loft pub, Chester, Canada. Rope Loft pub, Chester, Canada.
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

~ Fo'c'sle ~

by RavensWing Written Aug 15, 2014

Welcome to the Fo'c'sle, the oldest rural pub in Nova Scotia.

The Fo'c'sle is a fair sized pub/restaurant. They have daily drink and food specials. It also offers live music every other Friday.

The staff was friendly and quite chatty.

Fo'c'sle Fo'c'sle Fo'c'sle Fo'c'sle

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

~ The Rope Loft ~

by RavensWing Written Aug 15, 2014

Welcome to the Rope Loft

It was a hot day and we stopped in for a quick drink. We passed through the bar quickly and made our way to the patio. We were lucky to find a table. It was pretty busy. The view of the Front Harbour was beautiful. It was fun watching people dock their boats and walk up the wharf to the patio.

The service was good. The staff was friendly.

The Rope Loft The Bar The Patio

Tancook Island Trip

by easterntrekker Written Sep 18, 2008

You can get a ferry to the Tancook Islands . An eight-kilometre passenger ferry service runs from Chester to Big Tancook. The ferry offers a special way to experience the beauty of the bay and, once on either island, there are many quiet country roads to enjoy.

In 1829 thirty families of German colonists and French Huguenots, who had been brought over by the British Government, established their homes on the Tancooks.

Today, the population of Tancook Island is approximately 125 year round . The people make their living solely on the sea as inshore fishermen or ferry crew.
    The Tancooks you will take a passenger ferry ride from Chester, Nova Scotia for a very reasonable round-trip fare of $5.00. (Children under 12 are free.)
    FERRY SCHEDULE
    Tancook 9:30 pm
    Chester 11:00 pm

Waterfront Walk

by easterntrekker Written Sep 18, 2008

Chester isn't so much about Mueums as it is about enjoying your surroundings . Our favorite thing to do is to walk along the waterfront , past the Yacht Club and stately old homes and watching the variety of boats heading out . Our favorite time is in the fall when only the locals and a few tourists are around.

• Sailing and Boating

Chester Playhouse

by easterntrekker Written Sep 18, 2008

The Chester Playhouse, is an old movie theater from the 1930's .It was converted for live entertainment in 1963 when the Chester Jesters presented the first summer productions on stage. It operates year around and offer some excellent quality preformances. The entertainment includes , concerts and plays . Chester is less than an hour from Halifax so for us it is a good evening out!!

• Music
    • Theater Travel

Chester race week

by easterntrekker Written Sep 18, 2008

Boating has always been a huge part of Chester. Chester Race Week, August 13-16th 2008, is the largest keelboat regatta in Canada. and has been presented by the Chester Yacht Club for over 100 years.
    Its a big week in Chester and even if you are not a boater there are lots of festivities on shore!!

• Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Chester

Comments

Chester Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Chester things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chester sightseeing.