Know about this? Rate It!
A permanent resident of Halifax Harbour is the CSS Acadia. This ship is the only surviving vessel that was in the harbour at the time of the Halifax Explosion of 1917.
The explosion occurred when a munitions ship collided with another vessel and caught fire. The resulting explosion killed thousands and flattened much of downtown Halifax.
This occurred during the First World War, so many ships were also lost in the harbour. All but this one.
- Sailing and Boating
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Halifax Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Denali National Park and Preserve Hotels
- Hallelujah Junction Hotels
- Kampong Bagan Ajam Hotels
- San Jose del Monte Hotels
- Italy Off The Beaten Path
- Kauai Off The Beaten Path
- Palm Coast.
- Cameron Highlands Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Off The Beaten Path
- Newport Off The Beaten Path
- London Off The Beaten Path
- Tehachapi Off The Beaten Path
- Sorrento Off The Beaten Path
- Canberra Off The Beaten Path
- The Bahamas Off The Beaten Path