Know about this? Rate It!
Hemlock Ravine Park
Fifteen minutes away from the city center off the Bedford Highway on Lodge Drive is Henlock Ravine Park. This is a lovely wooded park full of trails starting from an interesting large heart shaped pond where ducks still reside. The pond was constructed by Edward the Duke of Kent (Queen Victorias father) as a declaration of love for his mistress of twenty odd years, Julie St. Laurent. They lived in a large estate on the Bedford Basin and this park is on what is left of the property. Originally there were Chinese pagodas and flower beds put in but all that is left is the pond . The park is hilly in places and in its outer reaches dips down to the ravine where 400 year old hemlock trees still live!Twent
See Hemlock Ravine. As you...
See Hemlock Ravine. As you drive around Nova Scotia, notice that the trees are all REALLY SHORT. They've been cut down a lot over the years and the poor soil has meant that they grew back slowly. Here at Hemlock Ravine, is a unique part of the woods that wasn't reduced to firewood during to supply the garrison. It was set aside as a private residence for Prince Edward, who built a round music house on the shore for his love (it is still there, and you can't miss it). The trees here feature old growth hemlock; some as old as 300 years (possibly some of the oldest in Nova Scotia). Beware, they could disappear soon as development is now encroaching on them!
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Halifax Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Bagan Luar Hotels
- South Padre Island
- Shasta Lake Hotels
- Thanh Pho Ho Chi Minh Hotels
- Binghamton Hotels
- Los Angeles Off The Beaten Path
- North Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Rome Off The Beaten Path
- Indiana Off The Beaten Path
- Hawaii (Big Island) Off The Beaten Path
- Destin Off The Beaten Path
- Cabo San Lucas Off The Beaten Path
- Portugal Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Bend Off The Beaten Path
- Florence Off The Beaten Path
- Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path