Know about this? Rate It!
Halifax is a military town. ...
Halifax is a military town. It was founded because the English needed a naval base to offset the french base at Louisbourg. So there's a lot of military history to be seen in the city, mainly old outposts that have never been tested. Go see York Redoubt; the magnificent view of the open harbour is amazing and understand why Halifax would have been a formidable target. Take a hike along Duncan's Cove. It's not an official maintained hike, but very popular. It starts at Ketch Harbour and winds down to Duncan's cove. Excellent way to spend 2-3 hours and you get to see WWII gun placements.
Many people miss York Redoubt...
Many people miss York Redoubt which is located just outside of Halifax. It is another historical site located at the mouth of the Harbour. It provides a great view of the peninsula and more of Halifax's great history. There are also many good walking trails around the fort.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Halifax Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Kuala Terengganu Hotels
- Lake Scugog Hotels
- San Francisco del Monte Hotels
- San Luis Obispo Hotels
- Los Angeles Off The Beaten Path
- North Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Hawaii (Big Island) Off The Beaten Path
- Cabo San Lucas Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Berlin
- New Orleans Off The Beaten Path
- Maui Off The Beaten Path
- Bend Off The Beaten Path
- Memphis Off The Beaten Path
- Asheville Off The Beaten Path
- Florence Off The Beaten Path
- Trondheim Off The Beaten Path