Crawdad's Crabshack & Oyster Bar, Halifax

by RobDavis
  • Crawdad's Crabshack and Oyster Bar: Crawl on By

by RobDavis Updated Apr 4, 2011

Privateers Warehouse

Crawdad's is a Cajun-style seafood restaurant located in the heart of the Historic Properties district. (second floor of the Privateer's Warehouse). It's in probably the oldest building in the oldest part of town. Locals call this place the "Lower Deck" because of the tavern that has been here since the dawn of time, but just above the Lower Deck is Crawdad's.
    The food isn't bad, but I didn't find it had much taste. The portions are decent, but one of my co-workers found their Blackened Salmon to be undercooked, while another found his catfish steak to be completely lacking flavour. I had a platter with jumbo shrimp, scallops, and a piece of battered fish that was nothing to write home about.
    The prices were a little high, but not bad.
    The restaurant itself makes good use of the old building. The ceilings are low, it can be a little dark, and there are all kinds of historic sea-faring articles decorating the interior.

Favorite Dish: They gave us peanut corn-bread before the meal arrived. This was particularly good.
    I did not try their crawfish cakes, but they were recommended to us by someone who had tried them.

I really wanted to like this place, but the food just wasn't all that great.

My picture of the inside didn't turn out, so this is the area just outside the restaurant.

Instant Answers: Halifax