Fireside, Halifax

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Fireside: Almost missed this one: The Fireside

by pieter_jan_v Updated Oct 24, 2012

Halifax: Fireside restaurant

Can you believe that I almost forget to visit this restaurant after being 6 weeks in Halifax. Even in such a short time you build up habits and taken shortcuts to Spring Garden Road and missing al the fun The Fireside has to offer. Well it's a fabulous basement place with a cosy bar section and even cosier dining section hidden behind the bar. Great service Halifax-style and something to return once a week.

Revisited in 2006 and had a great dinner on the upper floor. New was a security guy at the frontdoor. It lost some of its cosyness, but the food still was great (mmm, onion soup!).

Hours of Operation:
    Open Year Round.
    Mo-We: 11:30AM - midnight
    Th-Sa: 11:30AM - 2AM
    Su: 4PM - 11PM

Favorite Dish: Local Canadian.

• Wine Tasting

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

The Fireside: Fireside

by jamiesno Written Mar 17, 2008
    The Fireside

My sister in law Kelly recommended this place so friends Tammy, Chris and I ventured out and found this restaurant just off Spring Garden Road. There are three sections to the restaurant and there are are propane fireplaces throughout so it has a real nice ambiance. We ate up stairs at the best table there we thought at the window overlooking the street and a nice big fireplace behind us. We ended up trying a lot of different meals. As appetizers we tried the goat cheese and breadsticks, seared scallops and warm spinach salad. The three of these were awesome and all got equal amount of comments.

For the main meals we had the dill salmon, pecan salmon and seafood crepes. Out of these three the pecan salmon got the highest reviews and was loved the most. I enjoyed my crepe but didn't enjoy the colder spinach salad as much after being spoiled by the appetizer.

For dessert we tried the Belgium chocolate torte, the Apple dumpling and the Raspberry Kuchen which was highly recommended and we found out why. It was a great dessert with fresh raspberries prepared at the location on a butter pound type cake. I also thought the Apple dumpling with cinnamon and maple syrup was probably the best I had ever had as well. Tammy liked here torte as well but everyone seemed to agree the Kuchen was probably the one to go with in the future!

Great privately owned restaurant that I'll go back too.

• tvor's Profile Photo

Fireside: Cozy and Casual

by tvor Written Jul 1, 2006

The Fireside has a real fireplace, comfortable chairs, intimate table groupings and a good bar. There's a solarium upstairs and an outside patio in summer. The menu is varied and imaginative, the decor is warm and inviting, the atmosphere is casual. Prices are reasonable. I've not had a bad meal there yet.

Favorite Dish: Monday nights are Martini Nights! Best martinis in town.

• hanandclarice's Profile Photo

Fireside: Great food and martinis...cool atmosphere

by hanandclarice Written Jul 7, 2005

Fireside has a great atmosphere...it's cozy for one - big wing back chairs with little tiny lamps at each table and a few scattered fireplaces. Go here with your sweetie to just chill out and enjoy a few drinks and dinner together.

Favorite Dish: Their 'goat cheese appetizer' is to die for as is their steak sandwhich (I forget what it's called) it's open faced with steak, cheese, tomato served with awesome sides.

• marcoparco's Profile Photo

Fireside: Fireside

by marcoparco Updated Sep 9, 2004

Fireside

did not have any expectations for this restaurant as none of us had been there before. It was just a random choice out of the paper we were looking at. I am very glad we decided to go since the Fireside has seriously turned into my new favourite restaurant. To bad that it is 500km away from where I live! The restaurant has a very cozy but not to formal atmosphere. It was a perfect place for two couples to have diner. I thought the prices were very reasonable as I paid 12.95 for a Seafood Crepes diner. One of the most delicious meals my mouth has ever tasted! We also tried a Nova-Scotian wine (Jost) which turned out to be very tasty as well. The service was also very good. I can't wait to go back.....

Favorite Dish: Seafood Crepes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nsca's Profile Photo

Fireside: Very relaxed atmosphere.

by nsca Written Dec 26, 2002

Downstairs ; abounds with couches and comfy chairs. Fires usually flickering . Wonderful selection of food and the prices are mid-range.
    Decicious spinach salad, crepes, wraps, pasta, fish, steak. My favourite dessert is the Raspberry Kuchen Cake. A buttery dense cake topped with a raspberry sauce and covered with whipped cream and ice cream. Did I mention that it is served warm? Big Yum!

Favorite Dish: Hmmm, I already mentioned the dessert, so how about their Spinach salad, with a tangy creamy dressing,mushrooms, bacon, egg, shredded mozzerella, the works! They also serve a really good Broccoli and Cheese soup. There is something there for every palate.

Instant Answers: Halifax

Comments

Hotels Near Fireside
4.5 out of 5 stars