Five Fishermen, Halifax

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Five Fishermen: Great Seafood, Salad bar, great place

by pieter_jan_v Updated May 10, 2012

Five Fishermen - Halifax NS

One of the top Halifax' restaurants, a genuine landmark. Located at the first floor of one of Halifax oldest buildings overlooking the mid-town square.
    Nice separated tables in a romantic setting. Only plus points!

There is a second place in this building at ground level called "Little Fish"; it's a Restaurant & Oyster Bar.

Revisited in 2006, still a great place but quality lost a point. Food is great though.

Favorite Dish: Lobster!

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Five Fishermen: Five Fishermen: fishy and not so friendly

by firsttimehalifax Written Jul 18, 2009

We came from Toronto for our first trip to Halifax. We were really excited about this restaurant after having had some great lobster at Gio's at our Prince George hotel. We had heard that the Five Fishermen was a must see hot spot. I wish that's all we had done. For an ocean side city we expected super fresh tasty fish. Instead, we got small portions of middle of the road fish that wasn't anything to write home about. The do offer a complimentary muscle and salad bar at the beggining of your meal, but needless to say you pay for it in their over inflated prices. The muscles had me running home, if you know what I mean, and I had to take my not so flaky, palm sized, $40 piece of halibut to go.
    Let's put it this way, if the five fishermen were suddenly lost at sea, no one should go looking for them.

• The Five Fishermen: Just don't bother

by Boutch Written Jun 3, 2008

Having been in Halifax on May 28th as part of a conference. I booked a table of ten at The Five Fishermen at the urging of staff at The Lord Nelson Hotel. I wish I went elsewhere, or researched the establishment in advance.

One of my clients was a gentleman awaiting a total knee replacement. Fran, the hostess for the evening, rudely told me my customer who was on 2 canes would have to navigate a flight of carpeted winding stairs in order to reach the dining room of The Five Fishermen. There was no alternate way to get my client into the dining room, and Fran seemed uninterested in offering up alternate plans.

Having addressed this situation with management of The Five Fishermen I was provided a response which clearly seems to be a tweaked form letter.
    **************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    Thank you for your letter. I have interviewed all the staff involved from both restaurants and we have judged ourselves accordingly.

I’d like to make sure you are aware that at the Five Fishermen, we whole heartedly accommodate several handicapped people on a weekly basis.

Unfortunately due to the age of the building (200 yrs+) we are unable to install an elevator. If we are unable to accommodate them upstairs, we certainly do everything in our power to ensure a pleasurable dining experience at the Little Fish.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but it took a couple of days for me to speak with everyone.

Regards,

Gary Mac Donald, Mgr.

Five Fishermen & Little Fish Restaurant

Do yourself a favor, take your business to another restaurant in Halifax.

• jquillm1's Profile Photo

Five Fishermen: Good, but pricey

by jquillm1 Written Aug 6, 2006

This is a very nicely decorated restaurant close to the tourist district. The food was good, but for $39 entrees and $10 martinis, it was a bit overpriced. The salad bar was ordinary. The mussel bar was a nice touch and the mussels had good flavor, but were very small--the work/reward ratio wasn't so great. Service was friendly and competent. The kitchen was very slow getting orders out.

Overall, this is a pretty good restaurant catering to the tourist trade. While we thought it was overpriced, it was pretty much in line with all of the better places along the waterfront. Most every place is more expensive than we expected.

Favorite Dish: Scallops are a specialty and were good.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Five Fishermen: 5 Fish-Good Seafood and ambience

by easterntrekker Written Sep 7, 2005

We eat here quite often .The restaurant is set in and old stone type building .with lots of small rooms with fireplaces. Downstairs there is a casual restaurant with an oyster bar. The seafood is always fresh and best of all there is an all included mussel and salad bar in the main dining restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Any of the blackened fish.....halibut or swordfish especially!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Five Fishermen: Amazing Seafood

by Bwana_Brown Updated Sep 20, 2003

Five Fishermen Restaurant looking toward Harbour

The Five Fishermen is a very popular local restaurant, so it is recommended that you make reservations if you have a large group. Six of us walked in off the street just before 7 PM on our first night in Halifax and we had a 1-hour wait on a Monday night before we found seating. However, it certainly was worth it! The interior decor is very well done and the seating arrangements are varied and on different levels, so you do not feel as though you are in one big room.

Favorite Dish: The main draw is their all-you-can-eat fresh mussels appetizer. They are amazingly tender and come with your choice of 4 dipping sauces (I preferred the garlic-butter with Tabasco thrown in) as well as whatever you want from the salad bar. For a main course I had Arctic Char, mmm! The meal comes at a total price of about US$22. I was a little disappointed that they did not have better selection of beer on-tap, but the local Keith golden ale certainly was nothing to complain about !

• Business Travel

• Five Fishermen: Always My Favourite!

by RobDavis Updated Jul 8, 2003

I'm so glad I bought a digi-cam!

Whenever I go to Halifax I always stop in at the Five Fishermen. If you're not a fan of seafood, then there is still good eating to be had here, but if you do like seafood, then I guarantee you'll be glad you went.

Prices are just a little high, but it's understandable given the quality of the food and atmosphere. It's also very popular so be sure to make reservations.

Favorite Dish: Where to begin, where to begin...
    They have a complimentary all-you-can eat mussel bar that comes with every meal. I don't know about you, but I can put away a lot of mussels.

From the appetizers, I recommend the chowder. From the seafood menu, I recommend the scallops.

The portions are decent, but if you're still hungry, just go back and get more mussels.

Instant Answers: Halifax

Comments

Hotels Near Five Fishermen
4.5 out of 5 stars