Jon Allan's Steak and Chop House, Halifax

3 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

• Halifax: Jon Alan's - Old location at Dresden Row
    Halifax: Jon Alan's - Old location at...
    by pieter_jan_v
    Jon Alan's businesscard
    by pieter_jan_v
  • easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Jon Allan's Steak and Chop House: Jon Allen's The best steak house in Halifax

by easterntrekker Written Aug 8, 2006

If you're in the mood for a steak , this is the place. The service is always tops and nice ambiance as well.

Along with special cuts of steak , you can also select a custom steak of you're choosing.

If you like cigars, this is one of the only restuarants which has a Cigar Bar . ( separate area) It
    is located opposite our bar entrance. There you'll find Atlantic Canada's largest walk-in humidor, featuring over 650 types of cigars and over 150 types of Cuban cigars. Private lockers can be rented and cutters, lighters and other giftware items are available for purchase.

Favorite Dish: I love the fillet oscar....crab on top with double stuffed potatoes......

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Jon Alan's LUXX: French perfection: Jon Alan's LUXX

by pieter_jan_v Updated Oct 25, 2012

Jon Alan's businesscard

Restaurant with a capital R. French service and quality. Perfect grilled meat and tip top food. Romantic ambiance and entertaining waiter.

Watch out. This facility also has a private room being the largest walk-in-humidor in East Canada. A real cigar emporium.

2008 Update: The Restaurant has moved into a new location in the block adjacent to Public Gardens. At the old address you'll find Sushi Nami Royale.

2012: I read that the restaurant lisence was revoked. I have to double check this.

• Wine Tasting

• BillyInHfx's Profile Photo

Jon Allan's Steak and Chop...

by BillyInHfx Written Aug 25, 2002

Jon Allan's Steak and Chop House
    very, very good restaurant. But definitely one of the most expensive places to eat in the city. Beware, the table cut steaks will run you about $4+ per oz - so a 14 oz striploin will run you $56 and that is just to start ;) EXCELLENT service (better be for that price) and food though.

Favorite Dish: Yummy steaks. MmMmMMmmm

• Jon Allan's Steak and Chop House: Jon Allan too big for his britches

by rrquinn Written Jan 2, 2007

Chose this restaurnat for my birthday dinner with son, sister and brother in law. Called earlier in the day to reserve based on an American express promotion(30% off entrees). The person who took the reservation confirmed the deal and we all expected a great meal at a good price. We ordered a bottle of merlot and cocktails. My sister ordered the filet with bernaise with a double stuffed potato. Awful presentation, the bernaise was brought out early in a little bowl and then the steak arrived looking very small on a large plate with the potato.
    Soups and salads were good. Main courses for the rest of us were good as well. But here is the kicker, after enjoying ourseleves and asking for the bills we reminded the waitress about the special offer she looked confused and siad she would check. A very young manager apperaed and explained in an overly condescending tone that this offer was not valid, and even if it was I would need to produce "coupons". In the end the restaurnat did not honour their word and I will probably not go back. The old "bait and switch" game. The food is not that marvelous.

• Jon Allan's Steak and Chop House: An Evening of Poor Service and Poor Steak

by dmmacle2 Written Apr 11, 2007

The atmosphere at John Allen's is very pleasing, which gave me the expectation of professional friendly service and great food (especially for the prices they demand). When a group of about 15 of us went there (with a reservation) to celebrate a colleague's birthday on April 10th, 2007 we were all surprised and disappointed. We were there for over two hours before we had received our steaks, with no apologies from the table staff or manager for the long delay. In the meantime our glasses sat dry, the breadbowl was never replenished nor were we offered more salad. After the long wait my medium-well steak came bloody and red. When I alerted them to this mistake (which I understand can happen in a busy restaurant) I was given back the same bloody raw cut of meat with a slightly blackened exterior and still no apology. For a high-end steakhouse they displayed absolutely no sense of proper customer service or proper food preparation. When I confronted the manager about my dissapointment he raised his voice at me in front of the entire restaurant and told me to sit down. At the end of the evening, after we asked what they were prepared to do to compensate us, we were offered a free meal on my part (I still went home hungry because I didn't eat the bloody rare meat they served me) and free drinks for the table. The overall experiece was still so negative that I will never go back there to dine. A very amature and inconsiderate showing for a supposed "high-end" restaurant. Two thumbs way down for John Allen's.
    D. Matt MacLeod

• Jon Allan's Steak and Chop House: Overpriced and Over-rated

by cotterop Updated Apr 29, 2007

We visited this poor excuse for a restaurant as a group of 6 celebrating a wedding anniversary. Service was slow and utterly disinterested. It took nearly an hour before our appetisers arrived, bread baskets were not refilled. Another 45 minutes until the mains were brought to table. For a steak house reputed to be among the best, the steaks were just mediocre, and, given the very high price,far less than that. The practice of charging extra for everything except the meat and potato is nothing short of larceny. I would not recommend this place to anyone, and warn everyone I can to avoid it.

• Seniors