Maxwell's Plum English Pub, Halifax

Some of the Beers on Tap
    by RavensWing
    Beer Sampler
    by RavensWing
    Maxwell's Plum, Halifax, Canada.
    by planxty
  • RavensWing's Profile Photo

Maxwell's Plum: ~ Finally the Right Potato Skins ~

by RavensWing Updated Mar 29, 2015

After a long day of visiting many of the sites in Halifax, we decided to pop into Maxwell's Plum for a quick drink and a small bite. Turns out they have plenty of beer and cider on tap, so much that it is almost hard to choose one - so I didn't, I chose a Sampler which allowed me to have 4 different choices in 8oz glasses, perfect size to sample the many different flavors. We found a menu and to my delighted surprise they actually had 'spud covers' or potato skins on the menu. I did ask if they were the actual skins, not the usual hollowed out skin I find in other places. Yes they were the potato skins I had longed for. They were done perfectly! Not overcooked, not under cooked, perfect crispness with just the right amount of toppings.

We enjoyed Maxwell's so much that we returned a few more times. The staff is very friendly, the food and drink amazing. Also if you need to get a little work done or simply to surf the net they provide free wifi. Each day there is a different special and their 'Fun Food' menu is half price from 9:00pm - 11:00pm (with a beverage purchase)

I know when I get back to Halifax I will pop in there again.

Favorite Dish: The potato skins! I saw they had potato skins on the menu and had to ask the server if they were 'really potato skins' not the half filled potato. It's true, it's actually the potato skins covered in cheddar cheese, bacon and green onion with a side of sour cream.

Maxwell's Plum Beer Sampler Some of the Beers on Tap

• planxty's Profile Photo

Maxwell's Plum: Restaurant food at pub prices

by planxty Updated Nov 27, 2014

I mentioned in another tip on this page (things to do section) that I was going to write two tips about the Maxwell's Plum pub / restaurant. I still don't know where that name originates! I do not normally do this but there is a reason. On my recent trip to the Maritime Provinces of Canada, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I found that pubs and "eating houses" are virtually indistinguishable. I can hardly remember a "pub" I went to that did not serve food and generally food of a very high standard. I know there are some very high-class restaurants in Nova Scotia, for example, but it appeared to me that people prefer to eat in the less "rarified atmosphere" of a top-notch restaurant. That suits me just fine, I have been accused of many things in my life but never being "top-notch".

My travelling companion Lynne, VT member RavensWing and I had had a busy day visiting some of the many wonderful things to see in Halifax and basically stumbled into this place by accident, and what a happy accident that turned out to be. Frankly, I was looking for a beer (which they have in abundance and see my separate tip for that) and, having been served, Lynne decided she would like a little to eat. At this point I should explain that we had an aged campervan (RV) parked over in Dartmouth and I had laid in supplies and was deputed to cook that night and so a light snack was all that was required.

The menu was duly produced by the very friendly young barman and my friend decided on what I would call potato skins which here are called "spud covers". For me there was no question as soon as I saw it. There were mussels on the menu, that was me done. I simply adore mussels and, in the absence of something really special, I will always order them so that is what I did. Served promptly but not so promptly as to suggest they had been merely microwaved, they were both delicious (yes, I did steal a few bits of her snack). I have to say, the mussels were excellent. The thing about mussels is that, like salmon for example, you don't need to get too fancy with them. These were apparently sourced from nearby Prince Edward Island and done in white wine with just the right amount of garlic. At $6:95 I thought they were a complete bargain. Which brings me to my next point.

Maxwell's Plum have some superb deals if you are watching the pennies (cents), so have a look at the menu and, if you are not set on one particular thing to eat, then you can get a really good deal in here. On our return visit the next day, my friend ordered the special, a burger and chips (fries) and I know this is what it is but it was decently done and as cheap as, well, chips. Honestly, if you eat in here and utilise the specials deals, you can have a filling hot meal for less than you would pay for a sandwich in the supermarket.

Please don't get me wrong, I am certainly not trying to present this place as some sort of soup kitchen for the poor, it most certainly is not, it is a very decent pub and I do like it. If they can produce food of that quality for that price then I am a fan.

Highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: Absolutely the mussels. Simply prepared with just the right balance of wine and garlic. A piece of nicely done garlic bread and a little rammekin of garlig butter finished it all off nicely.

Maxwell's Plum, Halifax, Canada. Maxwell's Plum, Halifax, Canada. Maxwell's Plum, Halifax, Canada. Maxwell's Plum, Halifax, Canada. Maxwell's Plum, Halifax, Canada.
    • Beer Tasting

• Cashee's Profile Photo

Maxwell's Plum English Pub: Cheapest Meal in the City

by Cashee Written Jan 18, 2005

If you buy a drink at this place at lunch, you can get the cheapest meal you've ever bought. They aren't huge portions but once you drink a beer you'll probably feel pretty full.

You can also have free peanuts and throw the shells anywhere you want.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Maxwell's Plum's Bar: An English Pub

by pieter_jan_v Updated Oct 30, 2012

Maxwell's Plum's Bar has 60 different beers on the tap. So, what's holding you off?

It's also a Sports bar with big TV screens.

Maxwell's Plum's Bar - Halifax NS
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Halifax

Comments

Hotels Near Maxwell's Plum English Pub
4.5 out of 5 stars