Midtown Tavern, Halifax

3.5 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

The old Midtown Tavern: GONE!
    by pieter_jan_v
    The new Midown Tavern - Halifax
    by pieter_jan_v
    Sorry for the lousy pic, I was frozen!
    by RobDavis
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Midtown Tavern: Midtown friendlyness and service

by pieter_jan_v Updated May 10, 2012

The Midtown Tavern is a place where you just can feel at home and have some basic fish and chips with a salad. It's almost being in the middle of a TV-sitcom with half of the customers being regulars and popular waiters speeding around. Expect sports on the teli, your food served fast and pay at the waiter (he carries a handy small change belt).

2012: The old Tavern has gone and the restaurant reopened a block to the West. The new location is much more modern and misses the livelyhood of the old house.

Favorite Dish: Fish and fries.

The new Midown Tavern - Halifax Former Midtown Tavern - Halifax The old Midtown Tavern: GONE!
    • Study Abroad

• Midtown Tavern: Midtown misses

by RobDavis Updated Jul 9, 2003

This was a place a local took us to. He had to be a local there because before we sat down we all had two drafts in front of us.
    The waiter was a big guy with lots of tatoos and fresh stitches, but seemed very likable.

The menu is on a greasy laminated card, and has the usual pub-fare on it... steak and fries, steak and poutine, meatloaf and fries... etc.
    I wasn't feeling too hungry, so I went for an order of onion rings. My co-workers went for the steak and fries. They all said it was good, even though it "tasted a little funny"... we were later told that their steaks are marinated for 7 days before being served. They ordered a side order of Pepto-Bismol to go...
    The waiter proudly told us that this was the last tavern in Halifax that allowed women to enter. The washroom was labelled "MEN ONLY", (because simply putting the word "Men" on the door might have been too confusing?). The women's bathroom was located through the kitchen, where you get to see the steaks marinating in their big old tub of stuff. Women often don't come back, or if they do, they never order the steak again.

Favorite Dish: I'm not sure which I liked better; the onion rings that tasted like they were deep fried in cigarrette ash, or the dirty draft glass. Ah yes, it was the onion rings. I'm still tasting them nine hours after I ate them...

But just so I can say something nice about this place... It's not very often that every other guy in the place is older, balder, and fatter than me. Kind of made me feel more at home... :-)

Sorry for the lousy pic, I was frozen!

Instant Answers: Halifax