Lunenburg Restaurants

Old Fisheries Restaurant
    Dockside lobster & seafood

Most Recent Restaurants in Lunenburg

• planxty's Profile Photo

Knot pub.: Very possibly the best we visited.

by planxty Written Oct 3, 2014

In a wonderful six week trip round the Maritime Provinces in summer 2014 I was lucky enough to have eaten some wonderful meals in some wonderful places, mostly pubs and bars as it seems you do not have to splash out to get excellent quality food in those parts. Anyway, I do like a pub atmosphere and again Canada seems to be able to deliver that. To choose a favourite venue seems almost wrong but if someone had a gun to my head, I should probably choose the Knot Pub in Lunenburg. Despite tehre being plenty of eating and drinking choice in this historic place, we kept returning here as it was just so good.

We found the Knot a little bit by accident as it is not quite on the "tourist beat" of town. We had gone into another place and the lady most apologetically informed us that the kitchen was not open as the chef had left and a new one had not been recruited. I enquired where was a good place to go and she immediately suggested the Knot, saying that was where all the locals go. A short walk and we came upon the place which (deliberately) looks slightly German in appearance. This is deliberate as the town has a long German association. The pub also gives the appearance of being a lot older than it's 1988 provenance. I am not normally in favour of faux "olde worlde" places as I find them a bit Disneyland, but here it seems to work.

We managed to find a table even though the place was quite full and I wandered up to the bar where I was greeted by an extremely friendly young lady who took my order when I eventually managed to choose from the extensive beer menu. In the time it took the beer to arrive, I had alreadfy been engaged in conversation by one of the very sociable locals. I did find this all over the Maritimes, people really are so pleasant.

Menus were duly obtained and that was where the problem started as there was just so much delicious looking food offered, mostly local favourites like scallops, fish, burgers etc. Also, there were a couple of things that were new to me including deep fried pepperoni and what they call Mozza Fries, effectively a poutine, which I had heard of but never eaten and made with shredded mozzarella instead of the traditional curds. We ordered portions of each to share which proved to be gorgeous and then I plumped for the mussels as I do rather love them. As you might imagine, being situated about half a mile from a fishing port, the fish and seafood here were of the highest quality. On another occasion I had the mussel soup which proved equally delicious. Should you wish to peruse the menu, you can find it here.

On every occasion we went back to the Knot we received the same efficient and very pleasant service, top-class food and well-kept drinks. If there is one small fault about the Knot it is that there are some changes of level on the floor which may make it difficult for wheelchair accessibility. Perhaps they may have arrangements in place, I forgot to ask.

Other than the potential accessibility issue, I really cannot recommend this place highly enough.

Favorite Dish: This is a really difficult question, trying to pick a favourite from the several excellent meals I had here but I would probably have to go for the mussels purely because I love them so much and these were particularly fresh and well-cooked.

Knot pub, Lunenburg, Canada. Food, Knot pub, Lunenburg, Canada. Food, Knot pub, Lunenburg, Canada. Food, Knot pub, Lunenburg, Canada. Food, Knot pub, Lunenburg, Canada.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Big Red's Family Restaurant: Pizza!

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 28, 2012

Big Red’s was started in 1977 by the Swinemar family of Lunenburg County.

The Lunenburg Big Red's is located in the former Jail Building.

Mo-Th: 9AM - 8PM
    Fr-Sa: 9AM - 9PM
    Su: 11AM - 8PM

Favorite Dish: Pizza

Big Red's Family Restaurant - Lunenburg NS

Old Fish Factory Restaurant - Ice House Bar: Historic fish grounds

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 28, 2012

The Old Fish Factory Restaurant and Ice House Bar is located in the former Fish Processing Plant, together with the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic.

On the menu are lobster, scallops, haddock, mussels, oysters and homemade seafood chowder. Non-seafood available and made with the same care to the customer.

Business hours:
    Close in the Winter Season.
    May/June: Daily 11AM - 9PM
    July/August: Daily 11AM - 9:30PM
    September/October: Daily 11AM - 9PM

Old Fish Factory Restaurant and Ice House Bar

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

WHEELHOUSE DINING ROOM: LOBSTER - YEAH BABY

by LoriPori Written Sep 27, 2012

Monday, September 10, 2012
    Nancy, the Manager at the WHEELHOUSE MOTEL & DINING ROOM ordered Hansi a Lobster for our dinner, for which we made reservations for 5:00 p.m. Hansi was not disappointed! The Lobster was HUGE and came with a ton of mussels, caesar salad and garlic bread - all for $24.99. I had the Fish & Chips Dinner which came with two pieces of fried fish, french fries and roll. All in all a great experience.

My Fish & Chip dinner Sailboat Replica in the Dining Roo,

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Magnolia 's Grill: Tasty Scallops in Old Lunenberg

by TooTallFinn24 Written Oct 8, 2011

Located along the water and next to where the Old Historic Coffee Grounds restaurant was, Magnolia's Grill is a very good restaurant. We had the fresh scallops which are caught locally. They were hot and very tasty. The scallops came with brown rice and a vegetable. Service was pretty slow and the food took a fair amount of time to arrive. However once it arrived it was well worth the wait. For desert, we saw several people enjoying key lime pie but we passed on the desert. Cost of the meal was about average for Nova Scotia. The restaurant is busy in the evening so it is best to make a reservation.

Favorite Dish: Scallops, they are fresh.

• CandiceHalee's Profile Photo

Trattoria della Nona: Incredible Italian!

by CandiceHalee Written Jun 28, 2011

I have eaten here twice, and have only praise so far! It's a small venue and it's always busy, so be sure to make a reservation a few days in advance or you may be out of luck.
    It's not an everyday restaurant, as it's not cheap, but it's perfect for special occasions like an anniversary or a nice night out with friends.
    The service is excellent and the food is even better. Out main dishes were a bit delayed coming out, so we were given a small dish of gelato to cleanse our palates while we were waiting. That's good service!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish so far is the butternut squash ravioli! Perfectly cooked pasta, filled with a sweet squash mix, a creamy sauce with chunks of lobster. I didn't let a bit of sauce go to waste, much to the embarrassment of my husband!
    My favorite dessert has to be the chocolate creme brule. Creamy and thick, it's just perfection.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Big Red's Family Restaurant: Great Pizza

by King_Golo Written Nov 11, 2007

This restaurant is a good place for getting some great pizza in Nova Scotia. Located close to the harbour (and thus providing great looks on coming and leaving ships), Big Red's offers a large variety of pizza and pasta. The service is friendly and attentive, prices are alright.

Favorite Dish: I had a very good pizza

Big Red's

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Big Red's Family Restaurant: A pizza at the old Lunenburg jail?!

by Jefie Written Sep 10, 2006

There are lots of excellent restaurants in Lunenburg but we had a small problem: out of our little party of four, three would have nothing to do with fish and seafood! So we ended up going for pizza at Big Red's, a family restaurant located in Lunenburg's old jail - in fact, if you want, you can have dinner in a cell! But as the weather was gorgeous, we ate outside on the patio which offers a splendid view of the bay. The pizza was great, my sister had a generous portion of fish and chips, and kids get a free cookie! I should also mention that everything was very reasonably priced so in the end, everybody was quite happy with our choice of a restaurant!

Favorite Dish: The pizza was really good, apparently the secret is in the special Big Red's pizza sauce!

Kevin enjoying the view from the patio

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Shatford's By The Sea

by victorwkf Written May 14, 2006

If you are having a day trip around Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg area, then you can consider having lunch at Shatford's By the Sea. This seafood restaurant is located at 731, Highway 329, Fox Point and serves many delicious seafood dishes, especially the lobsters. The good thing about this restaurant is the the food is cheap as compared to restaurants at Halifax (because they are also a seafood wholesaler), the staff are friendly and the restaurant is very cosy with a good view of the sea (see photographs). I enjoyed my lobster and seafood lunch at tbis restaurant, and if you are interested, please check out their website at http://shatfordlobster.com and telephone (902)8573439 or email joy@shatfordlobster.com

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Old Fisheries Restaurant: Skip this one

by Jim_Eliason Written Aug 13, 2014

Co-located with the museum, this restaurant has a great location but service is slow and the food is not as good as other choices

Old Fisheries Restaurant

Magnolia's Grill: Seafood and Canadian Traditionals

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 28, 2012

Magnolia's Grill is one of many Lunenburg restauarnts serving seafood and other non-seafood meals.

Good for a lunch or a dinner.

Magnolia's Grill Magnolia's Grill

The Salt Shaker: Indian Mussels

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 28, 2012

The Salt Shaker Deli is a small ship selling Indian Point mussels.

Business Hours:
    Mo-Sa: 11AM - 8PM
    Su: 11AM - 3PM

Favorite Dish: Mussels.

The Salt Shaker Deli - Lunenburg NS The Salt Shaker Deli - Lunenburg NS

The Savvy Sailor: Licensed Cafe

by pieter_jan_v Updated Oct 28, 2012

The Savvy Sailor is a breakfast and lunch cafe at the Lunenburg harbour.

Mo-Su 7:30AM - 3PM

The Savvy Sailor - Lunenburg NS The Savvy Sailor - Lunenburg NS

Subway: Progress?

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 28, 2012

I was surprised to see a Subway restaurant in a UNESCO heritage village.
    I guess some tourist have their daily favorites independent of what they visit.

Subway - Lunenburg

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

The Grand Banker: Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood! (continued).

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 28, 2012

The Grand Banker is a restaurant for tourist ,only open outside the Winter season.

They serve seafood and traditional meals.

Mo: 11AM - 9PM
    Tu-Sa: 11AM - 10PM
    Su: 11AM - 9PM

The Grand Banker - Lunenburg Today's specials

Instant Answers: Lunenburg

Comments

Lunenburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lunenburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lunenburg sightseeing.