Parrsboro Travel Guide

Cape Chignecto Provincial Park
    A harbour near Parrsboro
  • Evangeline's Tower Bed & Breakfast, Parrsboro
    Evangeline's Tower Bed & Breakfast,...

Parrsboro Things to Do

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

by Tricky_Dicky69 Written Jun 19, 2010

There are lots of walking and hiking trails at Cape Chignecto Provincial Park ranging from half hour easy walks to challenging hikes that take a few days to complete.

Lots of information on the web-site.

Lovely scenery and well worth a visit.

Cape Chignecto Provincial Park Cape Chignecto Provincial Park Cape Chignecto Provincial Park Cape Chignecto Provincial Park Cape Chignecto Provincial Park
    • Camping
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

by 850prc Written Nov 15, 2009

One of THE best things to do in a small town like Parrsboro - at least from my point of view - is to just have yourself a little walkabout. (kudos to my Aussie friends and their country for inventing the concept of going on walkabout) Parrsboro is a friendly and welcoming place, and walking around - meeting people and looking at the neighborhoods and houses, well.... it just gives one a feel for the place. And besides, I am a step-counter, it's my fitness regimen. So, walking around Parrsboro was a most pleasant way to spend an hour or so as we waited for the tides to progress.

A small home over at the basin shore The Parrsboro Town Hall A picturesque little church, downtown Parrsboro

by 850prc Written Nov 15, 2009

The tides associated with the Bay of Fundy are among the strongest and highest in all the world. It's a combination of current flow, lunar gravity and the lay of the land that creates such a unique occurence, and it all adds up to tide variations as large as 15 meters between low and tide. That's about 45 feet, folks. Back home in Florida, we see tide differences of 4-6 feet!

Parrsboro is considered one of THE best places on the eastern short of Nova Scotia to observe the tides. As you'd guess, seeing low and high tide will take you at least six hours time in town. The day that we were there, high tide was about 6 am, with low tide just after 11 am.

Among the things you'll notice during low tide, versus high tide, are:

> You can literally WALK out to a lighthouse that, at high tide, is totally surrounded by water.

> You can find all sorts of "stranded" sealife within the exposed rocks and drying sandbars during low tide. Who knows, you might even find a little lost squid.

> You will see "what looks like" beached or wrecked boats. They'll just be lying on the ground, like it's been years since they saw the sea. But by golly, in about four hours, they'll be floating again, ready to set sail.

Truly an amazing phenomenon, these severe tides.

Watching the tides can basically happen anywhere in town that has a good view of the sea. I would suggest parking out near the little town pier, and then walking the beach. This affords a nice look at the lighthouse, and the satisfying little Harbor View Restaurant is nearby.

The lighthouse at (surprise) LOW tide. A little later, more water coming back in.

Parrsboro Hotels

Good for: Couples

Parrsboro Restaurants

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

by Tricky_Dicky69 Updated Apr 4, 2011

We were only in town for 2 nights but ate here both nights. There were not too many other restaurants to choose from and one of them didn't even have a drinks licence. ( won't be going there then!! ) This is a strange little place with old fashioned decor, in my humble opinion. It may be standard for this part of the world for all I know. When we entered we felt like we had entered a time warp and been transported back a few years. The place is very open apart from a sort of partition which sort of separated the diners from the people playing bingo!!!

We got chatting to the couple on the next table who were staying at the same B&B as us and were also from England. They were nice people and the interesting conversation meant that we had an enjoyable evening.

Favorite Dish: I can't remember exactly what we had to eat but it was all good and very reasonably priced. I think that what we had included liver & onions and a steak. Service was efficient and friendly and we left full up and satisfied both nights. I wish that I had taken some pictures inside the restaurant

I guess that "when in Rome" you have to go with the flow and do what the locals do, which is fine by me. An interesting experience that we would repeat if we ever go back to Parrsboro.

Tricky Dicky's rating 7.5 / 10

The Glooscap Restaurant, Parrsboro. The Glooscap Restaurant, Parrsboro. The Glooscap Restaurant, Parrsboro. The Glooscap Restaurant, Parrsboro.
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park
    • Camping

by 850prc Written Nov 15, 2009

The Harbor View was recommended to us by our B&B hosts back in Springhill. They said that it was just a little local joint, nothing fancy - but that they had great service and excellent and simply prepared local seafood. They couldn't have been more right.

Harbor View is a great place to get yourself a plate of haddock or some local clams. They won't come with some delicate Parisian sauce or accented by butternut square pirouettes. This is a seafood and french fries kind of place... or onion rings, etc. Cole slaw, crispy pickles... you get the idea.

The servers are convivial locals who enjoy chatting with visitors, and seem truly pleased that someone from Florida has come to Parrsboro and is sitting in their booth.

If you want to wear blue jeans to dinner or lunch and want just good, fresh seafood at a very low price, the Harbor View is a great choice. We enjoyed our visit.

Also, if I remember correctly, Harbor View does have an outdoor dining option. However, it was a big cool and windy for such accomodations on the day we were there. I'm betting that the al fresco plan is more of a "middle of summertime only" practice.

Favorite Dish: Well, Sara and I decided that it was time for a lobster roll. I love lobster rolls, just a simple sandwich consisting of freshly boiled lobster meat, mayonnaise and seasonings, fresh shredded lettuce on a crusty roll. Why spoil perfection with anything else? We split a large lobster roll which was priced at something like C$8.00.

I also has a bowl of the Harbor View's thick and creamy seafood chowder. It was nicely seasoned, a perfect balance between the creamy and with a little spice. :)

Bonnie and Sara also went for salad, both of which were simple and made with fresh greens and accompaniments.

I noticed a couple of folks at another table who ordered various versions of the local seafood platters. It looked scrumptious, and I could literally hear the food still sizzling from its time in the seafood fryer. Ummm-ummm good, and I didn't even taste it. The seafood platters are HUGE, so if you're not a big eater, you may want to consider sharing.

The dining room at the Harbor View Sara and Bonnie outside the Harbor View

• Parrsboro Hotels

2 Hotels in Parrsboro

Parrsboro Warnings and Dangers

by 850prc Written Nov 15, 2009

You've perhaps seen my tip about the Fundy tides. I mention a lighthouse that's high and dry at low tide, and how it's possible to walk out to said lighthouse. (I'll put a reminder photo down below)

Yes, you can walk out to the lighthouse and given time, you perhaps should consider doing so. BUT.... timing matters. I'd start walking out to the lighthouse AHEAD of the official low time point. Start walking as soon as you feel that you can make the walk with only a short splash in occasionally inch-deep water. And once you get out to the lighthouse, do not linger in coming back. If you wait too long to begin your return journey, the Fundy tides will rush in, filling the deeper channel(s) and you'll need to swim back in.

The lighthouse at low(er) tide

Parrsboro Off The Beaten Path

by 850prc Written Nov 15, 2009

OK, as promised or threatened in my introduction, let me include a feline tip for Parrsboro...

We were there on the second Friday in September, and we saw a sign advertising the "INTERNATIONA CAT SHOW" to be held the following day. I don't know is such an undertaking is an annual event, but if cats are your thing and you're in Parrsboro in September, you might see if there's going to be another cat show. You'd think that they'd have shows more than once, given that cats have nine lives, right?

Yes, this is a silly tip. But let me once again remind you of Parrsboro's true annual show of merit and interest. The third weekend of August brings the annual NOVA SCOTIA GEM AND MINERAL SHOW. It's not specifically the cat's meow, but probably worth your time. It's probably more worth your time than any international cat show, but that's a personal taste thing.

Yep, Saturday brings the International Cat Show

Instant Answers: Parrsboro

Comments

Parrsboro Travel Guide
Map of Parrsboro