Getting Around Province of Nova Scotia

• Our mode of transportation - Dodge Caravan
    Our mode of transportation - Dodge...
  • Transportation
    Funday Shore Drive - Cobequid Bay

Most Viewed Transportation in Province of Nova Scotia

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

EAST COAST ROAD TRIP - NOVA SCOTIA PORTION

by LoriPori Updated Oct 12, 2012

September 2012
    This tip is mainly to document the Nova Scotia Portion of our East Coast Road Trip. I want to write it while it is still fresh in my mind.
    We entered Nova Scotia via the Trans Canada Highway #2 near Amherst. We then took the #204 to Truro then the #215 west along Cobequid Bay (had lunch here and visited the Walton Lighthouse).
    Then it was #101 west through Wolfville and on to Middleton where we stayed overnight.
    The next day we continued on to Digby and took the #217 which is along the peninsula and back again to Digby. Then it was on to #1 south to Yarmouth and #103 to Shelburne where we stayed overnight. The next day we continued east #103 to Lunenburg where we stayed overnight.
    Next day it was Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove and Halifax. Then #102 north to Truro where we stayed overnight.
    The next day it was #104 east to Antigonish, crossed over to Cape Breton Island and then #4 to Baddeck, along the Cabot Trail, entered the Cape Breton Highlands National Park and then on to Pleasant Bay where we stayed overnight.
    The next day we went south to Cheticamp, back to Baddeck and west to Antigonish, Truro and Amherst and on to New Brunswick.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Hire a Car and drive the roads.

by scottishvisitor Updated Apr 4, 2011

We hired a car here in the U.K. before going to Nova Scotia through Enterprise. Everything went smoothly, the car was ready and waiting at Halifax International Airport and we were ready to drive Trans Canadian Highways. Car hire is widely available in Halifax if you don't book from home, there are lots of the usual car hire companies at the Airport.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Bay Ferries: Saint John to Digby

by MikeBird Updated Jan 26, 2009

We were visiting relatives living near Saint John, New Brunswick and we wanted to take the Bay Ferries, Princess of Acadia, across the Bay of Fundy from Digby, Nova Scotia to save more travelling time on the road.
    I had booked our hire car onto the ferry via the internet before we left our home in the UK and we knew the sailing times. On arrival I was asked to collect our tickets from the main box office which all worked out well and within a short space of time we were boarding the ferry. It was all very smooth and painless.

Once on board my kids all made for the self service restaurant and were keen to sample the rather unexciting food - mostly Burgers and chips/fries. I recall it seemed quite expensive but hey they had the monopoly on food.

The trip takes about 3 hours and to help while away the time there is a small cinema style screen on board ship. For me however the highlight of the journey came when we went up on deck. There were several people up there with binoculars and a couple with a telescope. It didn't take long to work out what they were looking at - we saw Dolphins following the boat and way off in the distance through binoculars we could see whales, probably Humpbacks, surfacing, blowing spouts of water and then up ending in the way all whales are supposed to do. Shame they were too far off for any photos. On top of that we saw Giant Shearwaters swarming over a shoal of fish, swooping into the surf and guzzling them down. This was much more fun than watching an old film on the cinema screen.

So if you want to take the short cut across the Bay - go prepared with binoculars and you could be in for a fantastic whaling treat.
    The photo was taken from the Bay of Fundy tourist board website .

• Dester's Profile Photo

A weeks trip

by Dester Written May 9, 2008

I really can't see making a Halifax a must. If you take in the western and southern shore as suggested you'll be able to take in Kejimkujik, Bay of Fundy, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, and the lighthouse route. Along with whale watching and relaxing smaller drives you've filled up a week with great photos and breathtaking scenery without going broke at the gas-punp. An inch on the map along the coast can take longer than expected.

• Dester's Profile Photo

Wood Island/ Caribou Ferry

by Dester Written Mar 30, 2008

Northumberland Ferries offers what is simply the best way for you and your car to travel between Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. The Confederation and the Holiday Island Ferries proudly ply the waters between Caribou and Wood Islands in just 75 minutes-and, in the process, offers you a unique opportunity to park the car, relax and enjoy the beauty of the sea and the sky. Best of all, no matter how many passengers are in your car, you pay just one great rate.

Tours of Halifax Harbour

by scottishvisitor Updated Oct 8, 2006

We took an interesting and enjoyable tour of Halifax streets and harbour with Harbour Hopper Tours in an amphibious vehicle. The tour is a good way to get to know the city of Halifax and its huge harbour. We learned a lot on the tour, the guide was entertaining delivering his information in a light hearted way. We booked the tickets at the booth on the waterfront, the Harbour Hopper runs daily from 9.00am to 6.00pm from May 22nd. to October 17th. I can't remember how much it costs but the brochure says pricesless!

SEE LUNENBURG WITH BUD THE HORSE

by scottishvisitor Updated Oct 8, 2006

We took a horse and carriage ride around lovely Lunenburg with Bud the horse and his friend Suzanna. The horse didn't need any instructions - he had done it all before and he took us slowly through the little streets. Suzanna our guide was great, giving us all the history of the town in an enchanting, friendly and funny manner. We shared the ride with a couple from Quebec who were also great company. If you want to travel by yourself it costs double. Sharing and meeting with new people is always such a pleasure.

• Martman's Profile Photo

Flying to Halifax

by Martman Updated Apr 25, 2006

I flew from Toronto to Halifax on Royal Airlines Boeing 727 and returned to Toronto on Canada 3000 Airbus 320. Both airlines no longer exist and niether does the terminal 1 in Toronto which I used then. I will mention that the distance between Halifax airport and the city Halifax was about double than between Toronto's airport and the city Toronto. The drive between the airport and the city was also different. Driving to Toronto airport is built up the entire way. Going to Halifax airport, I saw trees and forest the entire way. I saw the same from my aircraft window. Approaching Halifax, I saw trees, trees, trees, trees, trees, .....and eventually a runway!

I always use the same agent when I travel because I think she is excellent. This was one time when paradoxically, the best deal she could find, was going and returning on different airlines! I flew Toronto -> Halifax on Royal airlines (Boeing 727). My return flight Halifax -> Toronto was Canada 3000 (Airbus 320). Both airlines no longer exist and niether does that terminal!

The first picture is of my Royal Airlines Boeing 727 before boarding. This picture is outdated in 3 ways.
    1)Royal Airline no longer exists.
    2) 727s are seldom used these days.
    3)That airport terminal no longer exists.

The other picture is of another Royal Airlines (Lockheed Tristar L1011). I took that picture the same day.

It is also worth mentioning that Halifax airport has won awards for being among the nicest airports in the world.

• SoonToBeMrsHawk's Profile Photo

Scotia Prince or Cat Ferry

by SoonToBeMrsHawk Written May 27, 2004

We spent the day in Portland and then used the Scotia Prince to get to Nova Scotia.

We waited in line for three hours and then the ferry left an hour late, so we don't have great opinions of the Scotia Prince.

It was also quite rundown and the ocean was very wild that night, so we didn't get a decent night's sleep.

We paid around $400 for our room for two adults. Too much for what we had.

In contrast, we took the Cat Ferry back to Bar Harbor and that experience was completely opposite the Scotia Prince.

The Cat left on time, the ride was smooth and the time flew by.

I would definitely recommend the Cat.

• RWFAN's Profile Photo

Red-eyed Drive??

by RWFAN Written May 20, 2004

Depending on where you are travelling FROM it is a good idea to drive to Nova Scotia. However, if you are coming from Austraillia for example, that wouldn't be very practical. Either way it is a very good idea to have car access while in Nova Scotia so renting a car would be a good option. Since Nova Scotia is a small province with lots to see, it is easy to move around from day to day and see lots of things!

• Dark_Reflections's Profile Photo

Princess of Acadia across the Bay of Fundy

by Dark_Reflections Written Feb 8, 2004

From personal experience, I find that the best way to get to Nova Scotia (in my case, it was crossing the Bay of Fundy from New Brunswick) is by boat. Not only is it quicker than driving all the way around (if you are from Canada), but it is much more enjoyable. While on the boat, you can out at the ocean, and if you are lucky see marine animals such as dolphins swimming next to the boat. It is a great way to start your trip.

• Beaches

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

The Cat

by frankcanfly Updated Sep 21, 2002

I got a great ride on 'The Cat', a high speed catamaran that races back and forth between Bar Harbor, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. The ride takes 2 3/4 hours, I clocked us at about 44mph with my GPS.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Distance table in kilometers...

by sim1 Written Aug 31, 2002

Distance table in kilometers :

St.J.
    Char.Hal.Fred.Queb.
    Mon.
    Ott.Tor.Win.Reg.Cal.Edm.Vanc.St.John's--99713001215237325952800313348565442619761787159
    Charlotte
    town997--26037397511971401173434584044479847795761Halifax1300260--415107112931498183135544140489548765857Frederic
    ton1215373415--5978191023135630803665442044015383Quebec23739751071597--25445879125123097385238334815Montreal259511971293819254--20553923452850360435854567Ottawa2800140114981023458205--40021562742349734774459Toronto3133173418311356791539400--20792665341934004382Winnipeg48563458355430802512234521562079--574132913092291Regina54424044414036653097285027422665574--7577901720Calgary619747984895442038523604349734191329757--294975Edmonton617847794876440138333585347734001309790294--1155Vancouver71595761585753834815456744594382229117209751155--

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Pictou Ferry

by frankcanfly Written Sep 27, 2002

I departed Nova Scotia the same way I arrived: in my truck on a ferry.

This one technically departs from Caribou, near Pictou, and sails to Prince Edward Island

• bkathryn's Profile Photo

Get piped into Nova Scotia!

by bkathryn Written Sep 22, 2002

When we drove into Nova Scotia from New Brunswick in August 1991, there was a bagpiper at the tourist information place right by the boundary.

Province of Nova Scotia Hotels

11 Reviews - 77 Photos
Annapolis Royal Hotels
33 Reviews - 86 Photos

Instant Answers: Province of Nova Scotia

Comments

Province of Nova Scotia Transportation

Reviews and photos of Province of Nova Scotia transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Province of Nova Scotia sightseeing.
Map of Province of Nova Scotia